Archinect
anchor

I Got Bored, So...I Got A Job in Angola?

Lud

Boa Mystery, já a falar português! Boa sorte e cuidado com as mulheres no Clube! Really the world is just a small home with too many bedroms. I do not doubt that u know some of my friends there. Man take really good care of U, specially with the "BABEs", and be careful though Joahnsbourg is civilazition city, it's even worst then Luanda.Keep on writing us down. BOA SORTE!

Nov 21, 05 6:24 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Man,
I have a whole new appreciation for civilization. Even those w/ mediocre Architecture. 3 days in Jo'Burg was a serious eye opener. It's a bit like California in some spots & Missouri in others. Either way, it sure was interesting to see a custom that i remember from long ago (4.5 weeks, to be precise)...traffic lights. And, motorists that actually use them.

Other things that 3 days in Jo'burg taught me:

Call me uncool for sayingthese things, but being in a quasi-post-apocalyptic wasteland made me miss freeways, superstores, office towers, lack of dust, feeling clean, lack of stank, people that look happy, people that look like they have a future (of all colors), great hotels, being able to walk down the street & buy a coffee, According to many, it's not the safest city in the world, but compared to Luanda, I felt safe in the areas I went in Jo'Burg. I miss buffet breakfasts at the Hotel Intercontinental (not that I go a lot). I miss wireless internet, constant power, phone service, being able to buy printer cartridges (mainly to silence my MEP guy).

And, I think very highly of nations that have te ability to support a research institute that can perform Fire Tests. BTW, the submitted assembly failed:( oh well, I guess we'll have to return.....never mind the slit that I cut in the drywall tape, mwah ha ha ha! Prank call!

I flew on 3 different airlines & I can say this - 2 out of 3 were really very good. I f you ever get a chance to fly Air Namibia or South African Airways, you won't go wrong. If you ever have to fly TAAG, the Airline of Angola, you'd better be good at 'oração', as the fella sitting next to me did. Also, bring plenty of aircraft-grade insulation, ant-acid & sense of humor. If you fear flying, TAAG is not for you. If you love turbulence (or bungee jumping), the worst wine, stinky aircraft, lost luggage, rude staff & pilots that mumble & punctuate every sentence with a quick 'SHaaank You', then you'll dig TAAG. Heyll, I liked them so much, I'm flying to Rio next month...if they don't lose my reservation...which I hear happens frequently.

Generally, I can sum up my thoughts about Africa like this: So far, the further south that I've been, the better it's gotten. Angola is a work in progress & has another 10-to-30 years to go before it is a place that people will want to be. Namibia, has a great little airport & friendly people. I've heard that it's a really nice country & seems pretty well-run. Although, last week I heard reports of mass grave found there, so not everything is perfect.

For us children of the modern world, South Africa is probably the place to be on this continent. It seems to be booming, people seem pretty content & from what I saw, the 1st world exists there. Plus, the food's really good.

Anyway, i am still gonna get some photos. I may get arrested, or shaken down when I do try to take picturs, but I'm gonna get some shots, I promise......

E Lud, muito obrigado. Mas, eu manterá longe dos bebês! Minha esposa me mataria! Geesh, though, if you go to Luanda, you need to visit Club Royale...just watch your pockets & be ready to take a cold shower.

Tchau...for now (& don't start on me celladoor)

Nov 23, 05 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

e909,
Nice photos. It's actually good to see some of the places that I haven't been, such as Quicama & Miradouro. That actully reminds me that Angola does have some real natural beauty which is often impossible to see in Luanda. To be fair, sometimes, when you're in a rich person's apartment, or an oil company big-wig's office up high, this can be a very picturesque place. But it's always tempered w/ extreme poverty.

Nov 23, 05 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

when will mystery man meet mr. kurtz?

Nov 23, 05 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
Queen of England

There is small disproportion betwixt a fool who useth not wit because he hath it not and him that useth it not when it should avail him.

Nov 25, 05 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Whew! Reading that is like trying to tune in AM Radio.

Nov 27, 05 8:10 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Is that the Kurtz that Martin Sheen went after? Hmmm, there are parallels.

Nov 27, 05 8:11 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

actually its the kurtz that marlowe went after.

Nov 27, 05 8:43 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

and not chandler's marlowe neither...

Nov 27, 05 8:44 am  · 
 · 

MM good to see you are still alive. Have you started singing yet? Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Nov 27, 05 10:48 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

you r this close to becoming a warren zevon song. except he's dead of course.

Nov 27, 05 11:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: