Archinect
anchor

gehry calling it quits?

outed

can someone confirm the following:

in my weekly newsletter from 'building design' (a london magazine), the front page article had a headline which says:

"gehry calls time on 51 year career" - The most celebrated living architect, Frank Gehry, has indicated that he will not take any new commissions.

the link to the actual story isn't going anywhere just yet, but all of their other stories do, so i suppose it's not a hoax.

can anyone in foga or la confirm this? thanks -

Oct 7, 05 9:32 am
Louisville Architect

i'm sure the office would still accept commissions, even if he did retire or take a less active role. f.o.g. is more than the man; it's a sizable operation. sounds suspect.

Oct 7, 05 9:38 am  · 
 · 
guiggster

Good. There's now 18 million architects-to-be coming out of grad school who are so overly influenced by Gehry that he won't be missed.

Oct 7, 05 9:58 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

what's up with his new digs in Venice Beach?

Oct 7, 05 10:32 am  · 
 · 
silverlake

he said he's going to let foga continue after he's gone.

Oct 7, 05 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
JG

I'm sure it will enjoy as much success as Atelier Frank Lloyd Wright does.

Oct 7, 05 5:23 pm  · 
 · 

funny how everyone dislikes him so much, but i don't know any classmate or colleague who has been influenced by him m. guiggy; and even if they were who cares? no one can build like him anyway. why the desire to see him gone? he is one of a kind, and pretty good at what he does most of the time.

the FLW legacy is very surreal. it would be sad to see gehry's ofice go the same way.

Oct 8, 05 3:20 am  · 
 · 
cp

hehe, friend of mine who once worked there said that FOG is basically brando in "apocalypse now", and everyone else is played by denise hopper. maybe it would make a good screenplay?

Oct 9, 05 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
Kristix You! Black Emperor

THE CLONE KING IS DEAD!!! LONG LIFE TO THE KING!!!(and let's not clone him again)

LALALLLALALALAALALALALLALALALALALALALALALALAALALALALAL :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Oct 10, 05 4:20 am  · 
 · 

THE CLONE KING IS DEAD!!! LONG LIFE TO THE KING!!!(and let's not clone him again)

LALALLLALALALAALALALALLALALALALALALALALALALAALALALALAL :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Oct 10, 05 4:20 am  · 
 · 

oops 2 times...it was not intentional, sorry

Oct 10, 05 4:21 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: