Archinect
anchor

how to go about contracting an addition/renovation? ambitious intern:)

impalajunkie

I have a potential client who has a decent budget ($250k) for an addition to her house which consists of a master bedroom suite, master bath, and sitting room, and some renovation of the existing house which basically consists of demo and construction of new walls.
I'm having this sure of inspiration, is it posible that I could organize this whole porject from concept to construction?
I and another intern are fully capable of designing and creating a permit set, I have a structural engineer with 35 yrs experience on hand to go over them and stamp them, but I'm clueless as far as contracting goes.
Can I work with a GC to get this built? Or will I have to hand it off at that point and let him take over?
thanks in advance.

Aug 31, 05 3:27 pm

i suggest you find a gc you want to have involved, see if they would be willing to 'hire' you to work for them while building it. at least that might be an ideal situation > that way you'll learn the ropes - ordering materials, subcontracting, scheduling, liability/risk insurance, etc. - while observing and being able to watch out for the job.

if you try to do it yourself, judging from the tone of your questions above, i'm afraid you wouldn't come out of it well. trial by fire is one thing, but trying to handle this on your own might just blow you up.

Aug 31, 05 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
impalajunkie

what fee do you suggest i charge for the design + cd's? i've never done a side project, so i'm inexperienced in fee setup and structure.

Aug 31, 05 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
mwad

Since this is your first project I would go with a GC. Take some time planning. Bid it to ten GC's. Interview the five best bids (in terms of price and scope). Make sure you find one that you will be comfortable working with.

Being a GC is a full time job. If you are moonlighting this project then definitely find a GC to hard bid it.

Aug 31, 05 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
Evan Geisler

I have been at a design build firm for a while now, and in accord with the previous posts, it is a tough nut to crack. Architectural fees could account for 8%-12% of the project total (or billed out at an hourly rate $65/hr-$90/hr). The GC will typically take 18%-22% of the total. You might want to start running some of these numbers past you potential client.
As far as working with a GC, don't be intimidated. Try to find someone who's worked in a similar vernacular, understands the importance of details, and definately get referances from previos clients. That's a great way to find out if they were able to come in on time and budget.
Very Important! Also, more and more GC's have web sites and portfolio's lately, and if not, try to visit some of their previous jobs. And finally, get at least three GC's to bid the project. Good luck.

My partner and I are starting our own D/B firm currently and would be willing to discuss this with you further. email me.
btw: Where are you located?

Aug 31, 05 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
Evan Geisler

I have been at a design build firm for a while now, and in accord with the previous posts, it is a tough nut to crack. Architectural fees could account for 8%-12% of the project total (or billed out at an hourly rate $65/hr-$90/hr). The GC will typically take 18%-22% of the total. You might want to start running some of these numbers past you potential client.
As far as working with a GC, don't be intimidated. Try to find someone who's worked in a similar vernacular, understands the importance of details, and definately get referances from previos clients. That's a great way to find out if they were able to come in on time and budget.
Very Important! Also, more and more GC's have web sites and portfolio's lately, and if not, try to visit some of their previous jobs. And finally, get at least three GC's to bid the project. Good luck.

My partner and I are starting our own D/B firm currently and would be willing to discuss this with you further. email me.
btw: Where are you located?

Aug 31, 05 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
El Arki

Definetely work with a GC if this is your first, they can help you out with details, etc. that you may not know how to do. Fees can be done in a few ways" hourly, set fee based on sq.ft., percentage, or a combination. For example you can charge hourly for schematic and any other meetings, city submittal, questions by GC/Owner, etc. and charge a lump sum for the actual drawings.... I've found that if you charge by the sq.ft it comes pretty close to where you will have a nice profit and it won't be too expensive for the client. Also, try not to stretch out the project. The quicker you get your part done, the more profit for you. Make sure in the contract you specify all of what you will be responsible for, and that at submittal your work technically ends. A lot of people like to call and have you be the project manager once they have the permit in hand. If you want to do this charge accordingly...... good luck.

P.S.-depending on where you are most people charge anywhere from $2 to $8 per sq.ft. for the CD's/Design. and evan pretty much hit it on the other fees.

Aug 31, 05 10:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: