Archinect
anchor

New poured foundation has large cracks....

El Arki

I was at a job site (not mine), and noticed that the perimeter foundation wall has some cracks that cross the entire T. It has rebar, anchor bolts, holdowns, etc... but the cracks go through the the entire width and length of it. I have a feeling the concrete is not at 2500PSI and that it had too much water to begin with. What would you do? Would you say sdomething, eventhough it is not your project? Pretend you did not see it? Make an anonymous call to the City?

Aug 30, 05 5:30 pm
MysteryMan

Why don't you make an anonymous call to the AIA? Better idea, why not get somebody else to make an anonymous call for you?

People, if you're gonna tattle on someone, be adult & do it in person. Otherwise, mind your own business.

Aug 30, 05 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
Tectonic

El Arki,

If it's not your business don't worry about it.

Sincerely,

Tectonic

Aug 30, 05 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
raj

write a letter to the architect. he would care since he can be named in the lawsuit for not noticing.

not anonymous... most cities won't let you lodge an anonymous complaint.

Aug 30, 05 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

need more information. Cracking is vague.

Aug 30, 05 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

advise (them?) to get a core sample and test the sample for strength.
it could be other reasons too, other than the mix, such as waiting too long between the pours, earth movement during the cure, extreme tempereture changes.
i am sure you're not the only one who saw it.
don't get dept. of homeland security involved. talk to the owners if you must.
btw, who are you?

Aug 30, 05 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

4" of conc will shrink by 1/16th or so in 10'. That said its the nature of concrete to crack. Unless you can see through the wall how do you know the crack goes through? It may be a different crack in the surface - and is it a hairline? Just in the port skim?

Aug 30, 05 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
raj

the evil one is right...if you don't know what you are looking at...don't say anything definitive...might be better to ask as a question if you don't know what you are looking at.

Aug 30, 05 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
pomotrash

Lessee, sounds like an ARE question...hmmm...and the answer is
DO NOTHING!

If the concrete does come back from the lab and doesn't meet 2500psi
then the city inspector will not sign off on the project.

If he actually reviews the lab report...which they usually don't.

Aug 30, 05 7:10 pm  · 
 · 

1) why were you at the job site?
2) was their not an engineer present to watch them pour and subsequently after to inspect it?
3) I would have said something to the engineer or architect - only a foolish contractor would leave something like that it will get worse within the maintenance period - I guarantee it
4) make a stink!!

Aug 30, 05 7:17 pm  · 
 · 

but yes vague - what kind of crack, if this were a registration question there would be an answer like "are you trained to determine the nature and measure of the crack" as well was there exposure of any kind how big a space was there in the crack? Could you see inside, fit a pen inside, a fist? lots to ask. As well is it something that can be easily remedied most cracks in structural foundations can be resolved with structural mortar or joint compound - although rarely recommended. Redoing the foundation is not easy - would require alot of re-preparation for the base material - ok enough david

Aug 30, 05 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
pomotrash

Actually, I came across a sim. question on the ARE. I could tell you the answer, but then I'd have to kill you.

Aug 30, 05 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

Speaking from construction experience, there is nothing more annoying then a know it all who really doesn't know much telling me I'm doing my job wrong. You're not responsible for this job and you don't have enough information to make that decision, if it's a severe crack, believe me, the contractor and architect already know, if it's a hairline your completely off base.

know-it-all who really doesn't know much <<<<Ironic I should say this...huh :D

Aug 30, 05 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
El Arki

now, now I am by no means implying I know it all. But I can tell the difference from a hairline crack caused by shrinkage, and a larger crack. I was at this job site because I got invited to go see it by a friend, because he also suspects something is wrong.

There is no architect, engineer, or licensed contractor, or highly knowledgeable construction person performing the work. It is apparently one of those jobs where the homeowner gets a bunch of their buddies and try to build something, from some poorly specified CD's. The cracks are fairly big, and I am sure if I were to use a 1/8th inch thick bar to put across it, it would go straight through without much work. I told the homeowner basically that I didn't think it looked good, that it could in fact be shrinkage but that he should hire someone that can test the strength, and go from there. He looked at me with a sure thing face. He asked if I could help him out, and I said no,because this is not a job I want to be involved with for very obvious liability issues. My friend also declined. From an aesthetical point the wall is not 90deg either it has some very noticeable bulging, because apparently they took out the forms to soon. I think these guys poured the concrete while being highly intoxicated. I really don't care how these guys build their project, and how they get their things approved, but I think about those that will eventually use the space. It's an ethical thing.....

Aug 30, 05 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

el arki - well, that's slightly different... sorry for flying off the handle.

I think the guy's best bet is to hire a contractor to look at it and do an estimate to "remodel" the foundation, if they pulled to the forms too early and if (and it sounds like it) the area wasn't properly graded/filled it may need pretty hefty reinforcement. If this is a one story residence, it might not be that big a deal depending on the nature of the break. the bulging isn't as big a deal, I know of a few foundations that were all wonky on the inside and out but didn't have a basement/crawlspace so it all worked out. I wouldn't want to be involved either....my advice (for what its worth..which isn't much.) would be for the homeowner to contact and actual builder. Depending on the occupancy of the building and nature of the foundation.

Aug 31, 05 2:07 am  · 
 · 
Suture

I have a huge crack and a hole in my ass and you dont see me trying to call the city engineer about it.

Aug 31, 05 2:22 am  · 
 · 
mwad

Lovely.

Aug 31, 05 10:18 am  · 
 · 
threshold

I would hope the the building official would pick up on this during his foundation inspection.

Sep 1, 05 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
mn

how do you know they are not already aware of it and working to resolve it?

Sep 1, 05 5:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: