Archinect
anchor

contemporary architecture vs. modern architecture

swisscardlite

i've learnt a lot about modern architecture this summer but i find contemporary architecture to be very different. could someone help clarify what's the difference between modern and contemporary architecture? i don't really understand the curvy and very kinetic looking structures. they seem to contradict modernist principles

Aug 29, 05 11:05 pm
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

'contemporary architecture' just means architecture done recently. you could also call this 'modern' with a small m, or 'current'

'Modern architecture' (with a capital M) refers to an historical movement belonging vaguely to the first half of the 20th century.

Aug 29, 05 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

it's all blurry

'contemporary' usually means more avant garde
'modern' usually means more simple, clean, minimalist

McMansions are certainly 'contemporary' in terms of time, but are not 'contemporary' in style or design. They are crap, really.

I use 'c' to distinguish new buildings like Libeskind's musuem or other stararchitects (not Meier, of course)

Aug 30, 05 8:50 am  · 
 · 
3ifs

agfa is spot on.

it drives me absolutely crazy when people use those two terms interchangably... especially architects.

Aug 30, 05 1:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: