Archinect
anchor

Brutalism in A Clockwork Orange

Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Anyone seen this recently? The last time I saw it was during a time when I had no interest in architecture. So, when I saw it again two nights ago, I noticed the near-pristine state of some of the brutalist buildings depicted in the movie. Anyone know any of the buildings depicted in the film?

Aug 27, 05 12:07 pm
vado retro

the first time i ever saw clockwork was at the harvard square theatre in 1981. after seeing it i was so dumbstruck i couldn't talk for a few hours. i really can't comment since i havent seen it in probably 20 years droogie.

Aug 27, 05 12:13 pm  · 
 · 

Aren't those by Alison and Peter Smithson?

Aug 27, 05 12:35 pm  · 
 · 

might be the Robin Hood Gardens
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Smithson

Aug 27, 05 12:36 pm  · 
 · 

However, now I-m more confused... I think the movie came out before Robin Hood Gardens were finished, but maybe parts of it were complete when the movie was filmed?? robin hood gardens

Aug 27, 05 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

There is one set of flats that appears by a river ... i have seen pictures of it and for the life of me cannot think of the name of the housing project. Also, the building that was used as the site for the Ludovico treatment is, I believe, some type of military installation or RAF base????

Aug 27, 05 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Brunel College, Middlesex, Uxbrdge ... the site of the Ludovico facility in the film ...

Aug 27, 05 1:09 pm  · 
 · 

Subject: (sixth of) Top 10 [designs of the 20th century]
Date: 1999.12.21

6. Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange.
20th century symmetry at its best.
--A Quondam Banquet of Virtual Sachlichkeit: Part I, p. 79.

[I have seen the movie many times, first in 1974, but I've owned the soundtrack since it came out. Now I'm thankful that I can borrow the movie anytime from the local free library. Seriously, check out all the symmetry in it.]

Aug 27, 05 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

is the symmetry just a visual tactic or is it tied to the de large in some way. in this way it reminds me a bit of diva. in that the bad guys were all about order and the good guys lived in a world of disorder.

Aug 27, 05 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

asymmetry

Aug 27, 05 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

Rita-

you owned the soundtrack? it's so... difficult to listen to. i mean it's perfect music for the movie... but owning it?

i used it as the score to a haunted house thing i did a few years ago. it won the prize for "most disturbing".

Aug 29, 05 1:19 pm  · 
 · 

Hey, I was a Beethoven freak back then. And it's so inspirational!

Aug 29, 05 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
paper tiger

cookie.

Aug 29, 05 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
eric_h

the housing project scenes were shot shot at thamesmeade south estate, in london. here are some sites i found about the filming locations...

link
link

Aug 30, 05 1:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: