Archinect
anchor

Architecture in "The Island"

poster

Can anybody identify the home of Ewan McGregor's character in the movie "the island".

I have seen it before but can't figure out where..
Thanks

Aug 27, 05 2:27 am
mad+dash

I don't know if the area is accurate...but in case it is...it is off the freeway that connects Long Beach(off of Willow) to Terminal Island(not sure) on the way to San Pedro and the old Naval Base.

I don't know if this helps any

Aug 27, 05 8:17 pm  · 
 · 

Also... for those that have not seen "The Island", Thom Mayne's CalTrans building plays a key role in part of the Los Angeles environment. Seriously, this could go down as the next architectural "Blade Runner".

I live in San Pedro and enjoyed all the shots in and around the harbor... but the coolest things were the flying motorcycle and the boat.

Aug 27, 05 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

alot of detroit buildings (the ruins) and many of the backrounds were detroit as well. the crew left some bad graffiti around last winter :/

Aug 28, 05 12:53 am  · 
 · 
mad+dash

does anyone know the answer? I tried to join Michael Bay's stupid forum to find the answer but you have to be approved. wtf?

Sep 12, 05 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
Kristix You! Black Emperor

It seems Tadao Ando did it :)

Sep 13, 05 5:08 am  · 
 · 

The boat... www.wally.com, go to power, and wally 118. Kickass.

Sep 13, 05 10:51 am  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

Know what's wild about that movie? It was in the future, and so technological that the theme of the movie (cloning) could exist in such a way.

With that said, and the fact that they had a flying jet car thing, did it surprise anyone that the people looking for him had wired in ear cell phone ear pieces instead of wireless devices?

It was one of those things that made me think it was completely overlooked as an aspect of the future, or the movie was made before Motorola Blue Tooth headsets took over a few months ago.

Sep 13, 05 11:13 am  · 
 · 
drs

I can't identify the house, unfortunately. It's staircase was pretty awesome, though it reminds me of something prior I'm sure. Each step is cantilevered from the wall string, and there are no risers. No handrail either - not sure if that would pass UK regulations!

For a film which I expected to be awful there were several great moments. Did anybody else become extremely excited as the enormous red letter 'R' peeled away from the skyscraper with people inside? An incredible typographic occasion! Or am I overly obsessed with letters right now?

Sep 13, 05 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

overly obsessed with letter... but i am too.

Sep 13, 05 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
poster

thanks for the response guys, can't get that house out of my head, might watch the movie again. And yes i did spot Morphosis Caltran building in the movie.

Somewhat refreshing to see some, some what, out of the ordinary buildings floating around hollywood movie. My friend believes that architecture only seems to get a used in apocalyptic visions of the future, in movies... Interesting......

Sep 14, 05 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
poster

oh yeh and the yatch in the movie is cool. seen one of those in dubai in the habour.... very impressive.... just like the price tag.....

Sep 14, 05 12:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: