Archinect
anchor

Getting an MArch Just 'For Fun'

MysteryMan

So, I've been out of skool for 15yrs, had a decent GPA, decent career & really no other academic experience since I 'escaped'. I'm enjoying Architecture & want to enjoy it more. Thus, I'm considering a return to skool to dig real deep into some more Arch. I don't particularly care about the credentials of a particular sk..(OKAY, now I'm annoying myself)..School. And, I'm not worried abt. it getting me a job, or anything silly like that.

I just want to go have some 'Fun w/ Architecture'.
I would like to make my focus in the quasi-artistic-structural-sculptural realm. If that makes any sense.

I'm thinking something like a SCI-ARC, SCAD...

Since I'm rusty on my knowledge of Arch schools, gimme your thoughts.

Thanks.

Aug 26, 05 12:41 pm

sounds like a great idea. similar to what i did (though i also had thoughts about doing some teaching).

a big part of my decision to go back was that i had been in practice for a long time, had taken note of the impact each project has in the urban environment (even the little ones), and wanted to dig deeper into understanding urban design issues. as my masters project/thesis i tackled a site in louisville that had already intrigued me - that i had been thinking about for a few years, in fact.

as a result i feel like i understand my city better, i whetted my urban design appetite, i've been able to campaign for something to happen on that site (very close to the area where oma's new project will be), i've gotten to teach a little bit, and i feel like i took a jump forward in understanding what i want from architecture and what i can do as an architect.

i stayed here in-state at ky, but other schools where i think you could explore interesting things "in the quasi-artistic-structural-scuptural realm" would be cooper union, cranbrook, berkeley, risd, uva.

it's a great thing to be able to do when you're old like us.

Aug 26, 05 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Mystery I think Cranbrook might actually be a really good fit for you. Granted, with the new architect-in-residence I'm not sure what the focus there is like now. But if you're looking for two years of just being in-your-head, in-your-studio, out-of-the-real-world - Cranbrook can't be beat.

FYI, though - not accredited, so you can't use its degree to get licensed.

The benefit to a smaller, less well-know state school might be that they would give you more money. Worth investigating!

Aug 26, 05 1:16 pm  · 
 · 

UF
http://www.dcp.ufl.edu/arch/
With your experience you just need a playground, and UF is a place where if you know your stuff and what you want out of your degree you can play.
The Prof's are very good, and willing to experiment.

Aug 26, 05 1:20 pm  · 
 · 

Can't hurt being in FL either ;)

Aug 26, 05 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

way back ('Road Warrior', Billy Idol, Rubik's Cubes & something new called MTV were da chit!), I thought about FLA. Being a State school & in a great college town made it attractive. Plus, it had a good rep as an arch school. Somehow, I talked myself out of it & chose GATech in the middle of (at the time) an urban wasteland . No fun, but it was certainly easier to focus on Architecture.

Over the years, it seems that UF has gotten even better. So that sounds like a good place to look. Although I may have to hide from my ex-mother-in-law who lives there.

Libert Bell, I like the thought of Cranbrook, but although I said that getting a job wasn't my goal in consdiering this, I would like to keep NCARB a possibility. But, I wouldn't rule it out. Although Gainesville would be more affordable than NYC.

Aug 29, 05 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

I'll have to second Cranbrook. The a-in-r is pretty awesome...Bill Massie.

Aug 29, 05 9:11 pm  · 
 · 

I'll third Cranbrook, its my first choice when I do grad school in a couple years.

Aug 30, 05 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

oh yeah, RISD might be something to look into also

Aug 30, 05 12:12 pm  · 
 · 

UF allows opportunitites to teach D1-2 as a grad student,
(ask about it if you start inquiring)
The new Director, is making the program very iternational,
opportunitites to go to: Hong Kong, Guadalajara, Vicenza, Pescara, and within the studios themselves you travel many times accross country/world sometimes paid for.
UF had a braindrain problem (most fo the best and brightest going to Ivys) but now most of the best students are staying.
If you need more info, e-mail me, I worked for the Director of the program...
q

Aug 30, 05 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

brain drain, eh? Wait'll they get a load of me.

RISD, I like that one a lot, too.

Very good info fellow 'Nect-ors. Thanks

Aug 30, 05 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

why is no one suggesting these: Columbia, UCLA, Sciarc, UPenn??? granted they are very experimental, but isn't that what teh mysteryman wants to do????

Aug 30, 05 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

J,
It's been a consideration ever since I graduated. Still not out of the question. I want to see what other schools have to offer, as well.

I've heard a few similar comments abt. SCAD. What gives w/ that place?

Aug 30, 05 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

you're so cool mystery man, you should just start your own architecture school.

Aug 30, 05 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

I might have to. I dunno if I've cleared all of the statutes of limitations yet.

Aug 30, 05 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

y not an mfa in sculpture. now that'd be fun. plus the art school chicks.

Aug 30, 05 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

You see, if I was smarter years ago, I would've done that, But when you've got a hot-blooded Gaucha wife, I've gotta limit my options. I figure I'll stay alive in Arch school.....Did I just alientate all femaile architects? Krap, I keep finding ways to upset women.

Aug 30, 05 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

F*CK OFF MYSTERY YOU PIG!!!

kidding ;)

Actually your wife would probably hate Cranbrook, so isolated - visit first!

Aug 30, 05 11:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: