Archinect
anchor

help: translucence glass/acrylic

ht

anyone knows any low cost subsitution for translucence glass that's noncombustible (not ignore at 1200F)

Aug 25, 05 2:41 pm

try contacting the people at Lightblocks (www.lightblocks.com) they might either have something or be able to point you in the right direction.

Aug 25, 05 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

why non-combustible?

Aug 25, 05 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Low cost = prolly not fire rated.

Aug 25, 05 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

I am a fan of Lumicite and different forms of polygal

Aug 25, 05 3:03 pm  · 
 · 

3 form
http://www.3-form.com/
Best material I've seen, dont know if its cheaper than glass though

Aug 25, 05 3:07 pm  · 
 · 

their eco-resin is good for leed,
and you can make patterns and sandwich them inside the material

Aug 25, 05 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
I035PEP

Polycarbonate, try looking at Polygal and GE Plastics.

Aug 25, 05 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
ht

Thank you for all your input. 3 form products are really nice, but its self ignition temp is pretty low. polycarbonate(GE/lightbox/CPI) got appox. 1070F, which fall a bit short as well. perhaps, glass may be the only choice for noncombustable.

Aug 25, 05 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
OlDirtyArchitect

3 form will run you about $1500 for 3/4" thick sheet (4X8) that does not include shipping. I think their sheets that are 1/4" are about $900. No orders smaller than 1 sheet of 4 x 8. I wanted a product of theirs for a coffee table but $1500 was a bit more than I was willing to spend.

Aug 25, 05 8:35 pm  · 
 · 

3 form is nice indeed. it doesn't meet fire standards here unfortunately.

you are looking for something less expensive than glass?

Aug 25, 05 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

seriously - i'm curious - why does it have to be non-combustible?

Aug 25, 05 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
ht

it's for exterior wall.. code requires it to be noncombustible.

Aug 25, 05 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

so this is a skin and not an opening - right?

Aug 25, 05 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
proto

use laminated glass with a colored inner layer

viracon used to have a product called opticolor that you could mix and match inner layer colors to achieve a fair number of different colors.

i do not know if they still support this technology, but someone out there must...

Aug 25, 05 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
proto

for the plastics, consider the smoke problem that may be worse than anything else about them. some of the newer resins mentioned above have qualified as Type 1 or A materials.

Aug 26, 05 12:40 am  · 
 · 
ice9

if its for an exterior application, remember that resins and polycarbonates will yellow over time in sunlight. acrylic and glass will not.

Aug 26, 05 2:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: