Archinect
anchor

Is Grad school really worth it? (pros & cons)

eureka

Can anyone give their opinion on how important grad school is to having a successful future in architecture. Grad school can be costly which is a concern of mine. What are the pros and cons? I know that with a masters you can teach but at the moment that doesn't really interest me but you never know. Do firms have different expectations for people with master degrees? Also I've heard that some of the more known firms will only hire people with a masters degree, is this true? Sorry for all the questions just trying to make a decision to apply or not to apply this fall. Thanks

Aug 23, 05 2:50 pm
EcoArchSefa

Look in the salary poll and you'll see that holders of the Masters are making more than those with the Bachelors. Plus, i truly believe that sooner or later a Masters degree is going to be required for licensure. Sure is an investment, but it can be intellectually fulfilling. I'm going for it starting in the fall!

Aug 23, 05 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
Taesung

The pros & cons of going back to graduate school are pretty obvious, all based on your own goals and ambitions.

If you want to teach, not as a visiting instructor but as an associate, having a master's degree and/or ph.D is a requirement of most institutions.

If you want a break from the professional environment, and be back in that creative bubble, going back can be refreshing.

Going back of course means a cut in your costs of living, and two years of school debt (for some a little and others a lot).

Going back most likely means leaving the professional environment full time, which some companies see as a loss of experience. In my situation however, my company sees it as a different type of experience that is just as marketable had I stayed working during those two years (love my company).

In the end, it always goes back to you. There are other considerations such as family/friends, resources, etc and the list continues on.

Aug 23, 05 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
postal

From the Intership and Career Survey from 2003:

"According to the "2002 AIA Compensation Report" more than half of firms with 20 or more employees and more that a third of the remaining firms pay higher starting salaries for graduates with an MArch than for graduates with a BArch. More than half of firms with more than 250 employees pay 5% higher or more to MArch holders and another third of them will pay up to 5% more. A very small percentage of firms - of any size - reported paying more than a 10% premium to graduates with an MArch."

Blurb on page 11: http://www.archvoices.org/downloads/finalreport.pdf

Does a year more in school = 5% increase in starting salary?
For some it does, for some it doesn't...salary isn't everything...

Aug 23, 05 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

postal... your a fart face, and i wish i knew you so that i could pound in your face........................................
jk

your wrong... go to grad school cause i am going to

whitesox rule

Aug 23, 05 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
postal

so we meet again letdown...or should i say...so we meet for the first time...

i'll go to grad school...but not in the same country as you...

go sox go...

Aug 23, 05 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

you would say that, and there are l's on my name... im lletdownl... so eat poo and get sick

go go sox go go

Aug 23, 05 11:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: