Archinect
anchor

job opportunity - need advice

leander

Ok, so my aunt and uncle called me today. My uncle is a CFO at a GPS company, and he had a contact for a career in the transportation sector. The point is: it's a good job. Good pay, great location, good career track/resume building.

My only problem is I would have to move cross country and I have been at my current firm for only 6 months. What do you think? It's almost twice what I'm paid now, and it could only help me with experience/grad school opportunities. I think - I am in my twenties - this is the time to hop cross country and constantly change jobs. Any advice?

Aug 21, 05 8:53 pm

do it :) make some money and build your dream... now that's real.

Aug 21, 05 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
leander

thanks so much! that is how i feel too. i was drunk at a salsa club the other night. i had a long conversation with this woman in her forties about careers... she told me, your twenties is about running into walls, constantly reshaping your career to suit you so that you can find your niche. i have a good feeling about this one you guys.

Aug 21, 05 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Yup, if you're gonna do major life-changing events, it's easier to do it now. Get comfy later on in life. Right now is the time to be chasing big ideas & doing stuff on a whim. If you fall flat on your face now, no big deal. At least you'll have gone for it & can get back up again. OK, enough Tony Robbins/motivational speaker blab for today.

Aug 21, 05 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

BTW,
Did you get anywhere w/ the 40-ish woman? Time to try them now, as well. M.I.L.F.

Aug 21, 05 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
leander

ok, i am girl and she was harrassing my sorta boyfriend for a cigarette. i swear to GOD.

Aug 21, 05 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

All Hail Great Mystery Man you are a wise one. 40ish women are a pretty good bet and most likely an unforgettable experience.

leander, go for it (I mean the job!). Mid-20s is definitely the time for major life experiments and you don't want to turn into a 40-ish woman who regrets never trying something new especially when your instincts were telling you it was right. And I firmly believe EVERYONE should do at least one cross-country move in their life.

Exciting, yay!

Aug 21, 05 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
GAWD

Who keeps waking me up? And that MysteryMan....goin' straight to my basement.

Aug 21, 05 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
leander

yay! I think I am going to do it if I get the right offer! I will be designing airports...wohoo! I'll update everyone this week. I should know the details soon, and I think he wants me there in a couple weeks. I talked to my best friend about it. She said - ok so, you get a signing bonus, sell all of your stuff in California on craigslist, pack up your books and drive cross country. I'll just buy new stuff when I get there. This is so exciting! And MysteryMan - hopefully when I'm 40ish some Ashton boy will hit on me too!

Aug 22, 05 12:49 am  · 
 · 
A

Yeah, pack lightly. Just got back from a long drive that would've been cheaper to fly!

So, where you headed to then?

Aug 22, 05 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

a GPS company designing airports?

Aug 22, 05 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
leander

um, not quite sure yet, either baltimore or dc, maybe new york. i'd love to live in new york, but i think i want to move somewhere a little cheaper than socal for now, save a ton of money then maybe head up to new york in a couple years. i am a nomad. i'm not even sure if i have the job yet, so i don't want to jinx myself!

Aug 22, 05 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Leander, I suspect that you'll be doing just fine into those 40-ish years.
Your post is actually making me recall a job/life change I was considering some months ago. I was looking @ moving to L.A. & taking a great, although moderate paying, job there. I finally determined that I needed to make about twice there to keep the same lifestyle. Although, I was willing to substantially modify my lifestyle (going from single fam house w/ lots of space - to- a studio apt in Long Beach), I decided against it. Why? Because I think that the approach of 40-ish affects yo' haid.

Aug 22, 05 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

BTW, I've got a 44yr old cousin in Balto who has several rental houses....just a thought.

Aug 22, 05 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
leander

ooooh. great. now i just have to wait for the phone call. the vp is about to call me and i am afraid i am going to screw up and call airbridges - skyways. and jesus, i don't really know that much about the engineering of aprons.

i hope i am not in way over my head. if i get the job and if it pays well, then i will definitely look up your cousin. i hope his/her rentals are cheap. my rent is so expensive here. i am hoping to cut cost of living in half and raise my salary. that's if i get through the terminal/concourse/gate questions.

did you know that the most strategic place for advertising display is above the escalators in route to the baggage claim converyors? bam.

Aug 22, 05 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
leander

oh no! the gps company and the airport company are separate - now way connected. the guys are just friends.

Aug 22, 05 5:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: