Archinect
anchor

Small LA Firms?

Lord Auch

HI all.
I'm looking for small design oriented firms in LA that may not be well known to some one outside of the grater LA area. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Auch

Aug 18, 05 10:41 pm

residential, commercial, or civic?

Aug 19, 05 11:21 am  · 
 · 
Lord Auch

All of the above, but residential seems to provide mor oportunity for creativity.

Aug 19, 05 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
Lord Auch

Damn spell check.

Aug 19, 05 2:53 pm  · 
 · 

if you've got at least 3 years experience (their policy is not to hire entry-level people), try Abramson Teiger, they do nice residential work. If you're very emotionally tough (can take a lot of shit), try Pleskow + Rael, they do both nice residential and commercial. Both are top-notch design-wise, but very small and local.

Aug 19, 05 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
3dGraffiti

I like Syndesis, Inc. David Hertz is the principal. He produces modern / experimental projects that are environmentally conscious. For instance, he is building a house now in Ventura county out of an entire 747. I think that would fall under the “experimental” category.

[url=http://www.link.com]link[/Syndesis]

Aug 19, 05 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
3dGraffiti

On more try for the link...

Syndesis

Aug 19, 05 6:04 pm  · 
 · 

ooh, try Koening(sp?) Eizenberg as well. They do fun stuff, but I haven't got time at the mo to search for their site.

Aug 19, 05 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
Evan Geisler

Chu Gooding, Patrick Tighe, GRAFT, PATTERNS, Xefirotarch, Level Design, Glynn Design Build, Barbara Bestor,Bonura Building, Standard, Richard Corsini, (M)Arch to name a few. Also, try going to California Architects

Aug 19, 05 7:01 pm  · 
 · 

Evan- Patrick Tighe laid off recently because of losing some projects, so I wouldn't bank on him.

Corsini's a funny, funny man. That'd be an interesting experience. Great attention to detail.

Aug 19, 05 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
Lord Auch

Thanks, I was familiar with all but Corsini, GRAFT, and Level Design.

Aug 19, 05 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
bothands

Griffin Enright, Johnston Marklee, Alice Kim/John Freidman, Taalman Koch Architecture, SLO (SwiftLee Office)...are Hedge or RAW still around?

Aug 27, 05 3:22 am  · 
 · 

oh yes, and Hricak Associates. When you look them up, keep in mind they used to be Rockefeller/Hricak until a couple years ago, so you'll probably find most of their portfolio under that name.

Aug 27, 05 11:53 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

are lubowicki/lanier up to anythign these days?

Aug 27, 05 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
bUbBLe

i like Alice Kim/John Freidman a lot and Callas Shortridge did some interesting work (residental) as well..

but what do you mean by small?! 5?! 10?! or 20?!

Aug 27, 05 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
Lord Auch

I should have been clearer.
The size doesnt really matter, but I don't see myself fitting in well in a corporate hierarchical system, which tends to develop in Larger (>20) firms.

Aug 30, 05 12:36 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: