Archinect
anchor

What Would You Cover w/ 1000 Coats of Paint?

MysteryMan

Once again, responding to someone else's post causes me to 'Create A (dumb) topic'.

I dunno what I'd paint...maybe a corpse? Might put morticians out of business. If you need inspiration, try this:

link

Aug 17, 05 10:24 pm
mad+dash

With the most toxic paint I could find:
Donald Trump, George W. Bush, David Childs, Larry Silverstein, and my neighbors.

Aug 18, 05 9:56 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Thanks JdesP, my first thought was GW, but I never followed through. Don't want the secret service coming after me.

Mystery, I love that site, and the idea. There is a building I drive past many mornings that I can't help but stare at. A simple little garage/workshop in a green field, but the whole thing - doors, walls, even window panes - has been painted a dark charcoal grey very similar to the asphalt shingles on its roof. It is so closed and mute, that building. Like a body under a blanket.

Prolly only 20 or so coats of paint, though. Not 1,000.

Also reminds me of the old Victorian houses in Philly, with crown mouldings and wide door casings, that have been softened and mellowed over 100+ years of paint layers. Makes me think that if the wood behind the paint rotted away the casing skin would still stand, the profile held together by a surface membrane.

Aug 18, 05 10:02 am  · 
 · 
AP

there's a wall in Gainesville (the 34th street wall) that people have been painting on for YEARS. Messages on the wall are often happy birthday/anniversary/what-have-you, or congratulations, or this frat is hosting x event, memorial messages etc. (even the occassional "marry me" message. You can take an Olfa to the wall and cut huge, thick layers of stratified paint off of it.
Amazing. scroll down for an example...

Aug 18, 05 11:56 am  · 
 · 
AP

eh...that's not the best example, sorry. We made 4"x4" tiles out of it for an acoustics project. Latex paint has great absorption!

Aug 18, 05 11:58 am  · 
 · 

JdesP- I'll help. With some good old fashioned lead paint. Although, latex might be better, it gets that airtight seal...

Aug 18, 05 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

your mom's face!

Aug 18, 05 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Dayum, LLetdownl.
U one mean MoFo. Now I gotta go to the State Pen & tell her what you said...

Aug 18, 05 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
Loafeto

I'd love to pour 10,000 coats of paint carfully over one of Frank Gehry's metallic creations........just to see the form in a different perspective. What an opposite texture! Then I'd peel the layers off to create an architectural hallucination. I can picture it in another upcoming Simpsons........ awe ......if life was to be so easy......

Aug 18, 05 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Meier's Getty in life-affirming chartreuse.

Aug 18, 05 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

freedom tower in alternating red white and blue.

Aug 18, 05 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Aug 18, 05 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
joed

Aug 18, 05 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i guess it will happen now...you know 3 times a charm

Aug 19, 05 5:14 am  · 
 · 

can I split up the 1000 coats to coat 1000 cats once each?

Aug 19, 05 7:21 am  · 
 · 
nappy

My nuts

Aug 20, 05 4:41 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

prostate the size of a melon

Aug 20, 05 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Pixelwhore,
I've got this image of 1000 brightly colored cats being herded by cowboys (kinda like that EDS commercial, but more vibrant).

Aug 20, 05 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

the speakers above my desk at work. this station is killing my ability to think.

Aug 22, 05 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Which is it?

Star-94.....[/]
[i]Listen WHILE You Work

[i]It's the Bert Show...[/]

Aug 22, 05 10:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: