Archinect
anchor

Oprah

ichweiB

Am I the only person that really doesn't like Oprah?

Aug 10, 05 1:36 am
citizen

Nope.

Aug 10, 05 1:48 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Watch reruns of MadTV. They nail her pretty thoroughly.

Aug 10, 05 1:49 am  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

and that magazine the she owns . . . and is on the cover of every month . . . anyone else think that is weird?

Aug 10, 05 2:00 am  · 
 · 
inkwray

Her bit on rawanda was quite revealing.
She's up for the nobel prize.

Aug 10, 05 4:38 am  · 
 · 
The Thriller in Manila

Oprah is overrated. She needs to go

Aug 10, 05 7:06 am  · 
 · 
mad+dash

It's not a matter of liking her. Look at what she is doing in terms of global awareness. Who cares if she has her own magazine, or if she's "overrated" she's helping a t.v. generation tune into the world.
you silly, silly americans.

Aug 10, 05 10:08 am  · 
 · 
ichweiB

I think my issue with her is this: she assumes a position of moral standard. When I listen to her when my wife is watching her show, her attitude seems as though "what I say is right because I am Oprah."

Aug 10, 05 11:18 am  · 
 · 
raji

I think the best rendition of Oprah was on "In Living Color"
Do you remember that one?

Aug 10, 05 11:21 am  · 
 · 
mad+dash

I totally believe Oprah is on the side of self-righteous snobbiness, and presentation of her show is based on her beliefs of what is right, wrong, and valid...therefore here show is rightly entitled "Oprah." Who else is doing what she is doing and reaching as many people? Can you name another tv personality recognized worldwide that is not a newscaster (besides Jerry Springer)?

Aug 10, 05 11:36 am  · 
 · 
ether

Oprah is not over rated. She gets results from what she does be it promoting some gadget or awareness. People across the world take her word as fact. It's sad yes, but it's better than a lot of other stuff people preach out there. The day Jerry passed Oprah in the ratings was sad indeed.

There are several gripes I have with Oprah. One in particular is her attitude towards the people that work for her. Oprah/Harpo is a machine that drives an incredible image. There is A LOT of effort and time that goes into the shows we see on the TV. The people who work for Oprah have fantastic benefits, perks and get paid very well. But they work like dogs. Most who are high level employees (producers, exec producers) work 12+ hour days and have very little time for life outside of the studio (sound familiar?). Granted it's choices, but for some who want to have relationships or start families, it is almost impossible. This works completely against Oprah's moto of family first or living a life where you put yourself first. It's hypocritical if you ask me.

I do find it wierd almost creepy that she is on the cover of her magazine every month.

Aug 10, 05 11:39 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

my question... her "summer reading list" included faulkner... do most viewers of oprah have the patience/literary inclination to enjoy Southern Gothic?

i always thought of oprah viewers as those that would also enjoy reader's digest and have a few different editions of chicken soup for the soul... lying around the home.

Aug 10, 05 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
ether

A couple of years ago she changed her reading list from new releases to "classics". I think it was an intentional move on her part because every book put on the reading list because instant best sellers. Lots of PR jockeying.

There was an author (cannot remember his name) who wrote a book that Oprah wanted to put on her reading list. The author was completely offended by it and refused to endorse her endorsement. Oprah basically said screw you and didn't put the book on the list.

Also, "Oprah's Favorite Things" show, every company that has a product featured must be willing to give a couple hundred free products for the audience and employees (some). If not, it's not her favorite thing.

Aug 10, 05 1:39 pm  · 
 · 

that author was jonathan franzen. the book: "the corrections".

franzen didn't want his more 'intellectual' audience to be put off by oprah's blessing.

Aug 10, 05 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
ether

Thanks Steven!

and that would be "became an instant best seller."

Aug 10, 05 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
MickMack

Oprah is not on my dvr-ed list, but i do have respect for her. she had a rough start, an african american woman in the south, was abused, etc. To have come from that and i think before she was 20, she began to anchor. A first on many levels...

(and i am southern, so don't get crazy about that comment!)

and despite everything, she makes middle america feel good.

and really, i would rather have Oprah as a role model to my children (when i have some) than half of the so called role models out there. she at least has (had) some goals that didn't involve drugs or gangs (ie, rappers, sports stars and celebs).

this is NOT saying that i am an Oprah fan, but really, there are worse people out there who are influencing others...Oprah doesn't seem so bad in the grand scheme of things.

Aug 10, 05 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

I've heard that she sleeps on plastic sheets. Hmmm...

Aug 10, 05 6:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: