Archinect
anchor

Thom Mayne: government darling?

jonchitect

It just struck me that the majority of Maynes big commissions are for clients in the goverment sector. He has very few commissions for cultural institutions. This seems odd because: 1.) I havent known gov. institutions to embrace progressive architecture(at least not in the u.s.). and 2.) In most cases the scenario is exactly the opposite; eg: Hadid, Ghery, Meier, etc. What do the rest of you think about this

Aug 5, 05 5:42 pm
wangsta

I saw Mayne lecture at the Chicago Architectural Foundation, at a lecture series titled Federal Buildings/Govt Buildings. First of all, Tom Mayne could convincethe devil himself to invest in charcoal; he is very persuassive and charismatic. I believe this trait has helped him win the heart of a lot of clients that one would normally view as conservative. Yes, his buildings are as progressive as the above mentioned (ghery, hadid etc..) but, unlike the above mentioned,his buildings use technology in a rather practical and shall i say useful manner? In other words, his designs integrate tech. in a way that the client benefits, where the others use crazy tech to construct/detail their sculptures and formalist wet dreams. I'm not saying that everything he's built is 100% practical and "for the client", but the focus seems to be less self-involved. What could be better for the US govt? I think Mayne and the Feds are a great match. The best example I can think of for this is his project for NOAA....

Aug 5, 05 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
inkwray

I tried to get into that lecture.

Aug 5, 05 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
.dwg

the main reason why big architects involve themselves in government projects is because of the funding. private sector clients often go unbuilt.. or built only after a long delay.....

Aug 5, 05 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
jonchitect

persuasive I beleive he is, but that begs the question; why was he not able to sell many projects in the 10 years prior to diamond bar high

Aug 6, 05 5:45 am  · 
 · 
melivt

i saw mayne lecture at yale last year. his thoughts were all over the place, and he seemed very unorganised. yet he still gave a great talk.

Aug 6, 05 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
OlDirtyArchitect

well, unlike yale boy/girl whatever above me. I have not had the good fortune to hear the man speak in person. I do know an extremely obnoxious guy in his office, yes I'm jealous - I admit it, but I'd say it's his disciplined approach that makes his public sector clients repeat clients. Government work cannot be flamboyant like ghery's. Mayne's work is exact. Everything is intentional, just like the government.

Aug 8, 05 6:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: