Archinect
anchor

The Independent Group

stillframe

Does anyone know what The Independent Group is? I think they were around in the 50's -though I could be wrong, and they are some how related to Brutalism. If anyone could help me out here I would really appreciate it--I have been trying everwhere.

Aug 4, 05 4:36 am
maxine

there's a book "The Independent Group" by Anne Massey
it's available on amazon

not sure what info you need--
you can google "independent group" + any of the ff:
smithson (the architects)
reyner banham (critic)
eduardo paolozzi (artist)
nigel henderson (photographer)

Aug 4, 05 7:38 am  · 
 · 
stillframe

Thanks maxine, I'll have to check out the book because I have been googling out the wazoo and have barely found any mention of The Independent Group--quite alot on Brutalism, but I was specifically trying to find images from the group. If you have any more ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

Aug 5, 05 5:13 am  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

IG is much more of an art-related collective, interspersed with a couple of architects/critics that figure prominently later on (e.g. Reyner Banham, Cedric Price, etc). IG is very much rooted in the pop movement. They saw consumerism and consumer design as part of a larger, wholly democratic design ideology. IG influenced folks like TEAM X, Archigram.

For comparison, see how IG holds up against folks like Situationist International, GEAM, Archizoom Associati, Superstudio, Groupe Utopie, et al.

All fun stuff, as maxine would probably agree,

For books, check out writings by Simon Sadler (wrote books on SI and Archigram), as well as Reyner Banham (of course), Peter Cook, Cedric Price.

Aug 6, 05 3:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: