Archinect
anchor

when all else fails

lizok

what can you do when energy and emotions have been drained out of you? ... kick a dog? do drugs? draw squares? i can not afford to stop working, but I can't paint and i can't design like a normal person right now. I need something to do!!! ANYTHING to get rid of this fucking empty feeling. fucking emotional numbness.

Aug 3, 05 10:25 pm
MysteryMan

Change light bulbs, especially the fluorescent ones. They are the cause of all energy sapping.

Aug 3, 05 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
ichweiB

dude I feel yah. I freakin did nothing this summer because I am in between undergrad and grad school and no one would hire me just for the summer. I started playing XBox pretty consistantly and then I built a model...I built a site...and then I just started building...I didn't know what it would look like at the end because I had to plan...I also sat around a lot and watched tv.

Aug 3, 05 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Drive out into the countryside until you find a decent sized hill, then climb it.

Aug 3, 05 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
pasha

yeah, do that at night..

Aug 3, 05 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
dia

To elaborate, when I was younger, and I had no idea what I was going to do with my life and things were unhappy, I used to drive alot.

One day, I had this urge to go to Cornwall Park [agfa8x will know what I am talking about] where there is an extinct volcano of decent size [right in the middle of Auckland] called One Tree Hill. And I just climbed up from the bottom. It was envigorating to be out in the fresh air, with some exercise. Really cleared my mind. It was such a small, yet positive experience that whenever I do this, I get the same feeling.

Aug 3, 05 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
edmund.l.liang

buy a lego set or model. if you're going to act like a kid.

Aug 3, 05 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
lizok

legos were a brilliant invention... if you played with them as a kid you would know- builds 3D thinking

Aug 3, 05 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

Get on a bike and go fast enough that there is no time or space to think of anything else and then time will slow down, allowing some space for focus and clarity so that you can just be happy to exist and experience the world around you. I try to do this every day, and it really works for me.

Aug 4, 05 1:18 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

i second either exercise or climbing one tree hill. i just combined both to try to clear a bad day out of my head.

if it's cumulative: take a week off and go snowboarding, or do some volunteer work entirely unrelated to constructing. call it sick-leave.

Aug 4, 05 1:37 am  · 
 · 
kazbot

another vote for the bike . . . very therapeutic. or trail running, or anything you can focus on to the point where your mind starts to sync with your body. or maybe dye your hair. that can be refreshing too. if youre feeling rotten, black is a good color. then you start to feel a little less rotten and a little more bad-ass.

Aug 4, 05 2:09 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

I'll vote for the bike, as well. Or just a good workout, in general.

Aug 4, 05 9:43 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

try walking up and down stairs facing the wrong direction. seriously.

Aug 4, 05 10:03 am  · 
 · 
art tech geek

ahh, time for my reserve favorite

find a very tall bridge - in LA the Vincent Thomas is pretty darn good. Drive over it (its free in both directions) - roll down the windows and SCREAM over and over as loud as you can. Scream shriek, scream scream shriek. After about 90 seconds - you will be laughing so hard with a recharged battery that anything is possible.

its best done where people are not directly around you. it could make them uncomfortable. ps. they have all kinds of anti-terrorist sensors & cameras on the bridge. don't know how good the surveilance audio quality is. you might want to look up and wave as you go under the monitors.

Aug 5, 05 11:00 am  · 
 · 
art tech geek

hey, lizok - you have too many bridges to chose from. oakland bay, san raphael, GOLDEN GATE - etc etc. boy are you lucky!!

Aug 5, 05 11:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: