Archinect
anchor

small side project structure, how to get fair estimate?

Ms Beary

I have a fireplace surround project and need to get a builder entered into a contract to have it built. It is a separate project by a donor in a building I designed. I also designed the fireplace. The donors are my aunts and uncles (yes I'm a spoiled brat and they want to see what I can do and it was their idea.) Anyways, it is outside the contract sum for the rest of the project, so I need to get a contractor on my own (have one) but I just need tips on how to get an estimate from him (he is a woodworker, doesn't necessarily do contract work, more hobby work) that is flexible enough to not scare him away, and is fair to both. I am not overly familiar with project structure, like if it's best to set it up as we pay him hourly with a max or what? What are other ways to structure this?
I also need tips on drafting a contract to enter into.
Any help will be appreciated. It should be less than $3,000 materials and labor for the surround. (some of the fireplace is under the general contract.) Much of the wood is even donated (a tornado done hit my uncle's farm and took out a huge walnut tree).

Aug 3, 05 10:20 am
MysteryMan

This doesn't refer you to any contracts, or paperwork, but here are some things that I've found useful in building my modest -sized projects:

If you're somewhat comfortable w/ doing labor, you may want to consider doing some ypurself. If not, is your contractor someone that you trust to do a good job & not drag things out? (or worse, disappear after getting some dough). If the answer is more 'yes' than 'no', then you need to spend more time on-site, or coordinating w/ this person.
If this guy is 'on-the-ball', then your proce should reward him for that because it saves you time & headaches.

I would research the heck out of the actual material cost, get familiar w/ what your 'guy' (forgive the male thing) has to do to complete the job. What are the easy tasks? What is gonna give him (her) headaches? Generally, the mofre you understand the work that must be done, the more you can head off problems & cost spikes.

Once you've gotten a good feel for this, work out a Flat Fee figure that accounts for her (him) making a decent profit. This could be based on a reasonable calculation of the hours required for his (her) time. Ultimately, that's what it's really about to me - time (which=$$). Projects that leave an open-end price, such as hourly work should be avoided, at least that's what I think.

Pay a percentage up-front. Leave enough of the project cost unpaid to motivate the contractor. This will require you to use your negotiating skills, because he(she) will want it all up-front. Never.

Perhaps you can negotiate a bonus for her (him) for finishing early, to the quality you desire. Conversely, try to work in a penalty for dragging the project out.

If you have the time, Buy all materials yourself, unless your gal (guy) can find you a big discount (allow for a slight markup - after all, if he(she) is saving you money...).

That was all probably pretty apparent to you, but I needed to write it down to remind myself of these things. Thanks!

Aug 3, 05 10:46 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

That's kool about the Walnut tree - One of our recent hrricanes knocked down a Black Walnut on my land, too. Had the county guys cut it up into 8' sections. Also, a big, winding Cherry tree fell, too. I'm looking forward to using those after I take 'em to a mill.

Aug 3, 05 10:48 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

bump

Aug 4, 05 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
zero_point

MM's got it on this one. Speaking as a former sub-contractor (stonemasonry), I can say that if the architect I was working with sounded as reasonable as MM does, I'd have no problem working my ass off to make them happy (and to get the bonus, if there was one). You buy the materials, that way you know what things cost -- unless as MM said above, the sub can get you a great price on something you need.

Aug 5, 05 2:22 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: