Archinect
anchor

time off before grad school?

mn

i was thinking two years but now that i will be applying in dec/jan for grad school i feel like that is not enough time...

Jul 31, 05 9:04 pm
Bloopox

Enough time for what?

Jul 31, 05 10:11 pm  · 
 · 

i worked in an office for 3 nd a half years afore headin back to grad school. was good because i had enough money saved that i didn't need a loan. also very good to have the time to think about what i wanted to do with architecture. this was the most important reason to stay away...

but school was a blast. hooked up with some fantastic architects and the time flew by. and it set the stage for where i am now. wouldn't have happened if i hadn't gone back... why the second thoughts?

Jul 31, 05 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i've been out for one year and am applying this year so it'll be 2 years out for me. i really like the time. i've been working for a great firm and have been learning a lot. a lot of the work i do will definitely help me in grad school with presentations and such. i'm stoked.

why do you feel two years is not enough? and what have you been doing since you graduated?

Aug 1, 05 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
adrienne

you should take as much time as you need...i did two years of work before going back and it was perfect. the one good thing about waiting a bit longer is that you can just about finish your idp before grad school, which would be a great thing to get out of the way.

Aug 1, 05 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
modo

I took ten years off. A Masters program should not be your 5th and 6th year of undergradute studies. There should be a significant difference. Go find out what the practice of architecture is about so you can use your time in Grad school to do some serious research. If you haven't practiced in any real capacity than you're going to repeat alot of the mistakes you made in undergrad. There is also something to be siad for being a bit more mature in your self discipline before entering a grad program

I have witnessed graduate students as a teacher as well as a fellow student who had no business being in grad school. They had no clue and degraded the whole program for everyone else.

By the way, the majority of syudents do not take this advice.

Aug 1, 05 1:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: