Archinect
anchor

Jobs, Salaries and Neighborhoods in Seattle

igloominaire

So here we go. Finally, after months of talking about it, and researching it, and visiting it, and reading the other very helpful threads on Archinect, we're moving North-West. My wife and I are on the verge of buying a house in Seattle (what architect can afford one here in LA any more?) and planning on moving up there in October - November. We don't have jobs lined up there, nor have we started looking yet, which adds a touch of risk to this whole venture of committing to a place to live first (though research has indicated that job prospects are probably fairly decent up there) - so, a couple questions for any friendly Seattlites who be so kind as to offer their advice:

1. What can an almost-California-licensed, 8-years-experience in two well-known mid-size design offices in LA, fairly versatile design/project architect expect to earn in a larger commercial firm in Seattle? On the flip-side, what could the above person earn somewhere truly sexy like Miller-Hull?

2. Our house (if the sale goes well) is in Maple Leaf - your comments on the neighborhood, amenities, schools, commute to downtown, etc would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance for any and all comment and advice!

Jul 31, 05 1:43 am
igloominaire

No takers? C'mon, North-westerners, need your wisdom down here in LA!

Puh-leeeeeeeze?

Aug 1, 05 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
e

jared

i'm a northwester, but can't be of much help to your questions as i have not worked for an architect for awhile and don't ask my friends what they make. i do have a friend who i have a good sense of what he makes through some of his past comments. he works for a non-corp firm doing nice residential work. been there 8-10 years, not-registered, paid hourly, makes around the mid-40's.

not too familiar with maple leaf either. it is north of the U district so you are relatively close to the university of washington. not sure if that is a good thing or bad. you are also close to green lake. designed by olmsted. 2.8 miles around. good for a walk/run on a nice sunny day. good local bier bar: the bier stube. it's on roosevelt. german biers in 1/3, 1/2, and 1 liters glasses. it probably takes 12-15 minutes to get to downtown. not sure about schools. don't have any kids.

Aug 1, 05 7:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: