Archinect
anchor

Eternal Flush!

dillup.

I'm living my nightmare - the eternal flush. In someone else's apartment for the night, they have a rather old institutional toilet with a metal bar handle and no "tank." It's flushing endlessly. I'm hopeless when it comes to plumbing. How the hell do I stop this thing?

Jul 30, 05 12:44 am
zero_point

Look for a valve you can close?

Jul 30, 05 1:31 am  · 
 · 
dillup.

that's the frustrating thing, there is no tank, nothing to open, only a metal piece connected directly to the wall. Is there some emergency way of of shutting down the water supply? this will amount to thousands of flushes by morning, i don't won't want to think about how much water it's wasting... ugh.

Jul 30, 05 1:35 am  · 
 · 
zero_point

Okay, that seems a bit odd. Often the valve to the water will not be right next to the pipes, but for it to have no valves at all makes it seem almost impossible to stop. Since you're in an apartment, and it sounds like the plumbing is quite old, are you sure this isn't normal? Did it start when you did something [flush, I'd assume]? Found this video about a urinal that does this on a college campus. It's the second video from the bottom left. Looks like a crazy amount of water being wasted...think it can be real? Or could it be on some sort of weird loop system? <--That sounds sorta gross. Think you have either of these situations in your friends apartment?

If there are absolutely no water valves in the apartment, you might ask a neighbor if they know how to shut the water off.

Jul 30, 05 1:52 am  · 
 · 
zero_point

"...will not be right next to the pipes you can see coming through the wall," is what that should have read.

Jul 30, 05 1:54 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: