Archinect
anchor

Jail to Home, Not as Creepy as a Chinese Mortuary

dbroxxy

Through the help of those who posted responses to Jail to Home I have been given useful information for further research. Some responses had the word "Creepy" in them and I suppose that it may seem that way initially. However, there is a Chinese Mortuary in my neighborhood that was converted to Live/Work spaces and go for $3,000/mo. Artists ate them up, and well maybe people in the arts are creepy individuals who have great vision, which I want to use as a foundation for my next discussion.

Since the site is located on the East bank of the decrepid L.A. River which is in the midst of its own revitalization, I want to know readers feelings of having an "On Site Hazardous Materials Drop Off Center" integrated into the design. This site would give people in L.A. a place to drop off Haz. Materials up to 5 days a week, lessening the potential of these products being dumped in landfills.

Respondants to this posting are urged to read the original posting "Jail to Home" Thanks!

Jul 29, 05 2:21 am
big dead elephant

I have this quote by the buddha gautama about 'avoiding excessive cleverness' dangling just out of reach...

1] why dont you just post in your original thread?

2] what possible logic is there in putting mixed use housing in the same building as toxic waste?

Jul 29, 05 2:39 am  · 
 · 
dbroxxy

Well big dead elephant...I'm new to the forum and quite frankly didn't think of it.
Now on to your second question: We live amongst toxic waste every day because of peoples inability to get off of their butts in an effort to drive to one of very few possible sites that are only available on certain days and with very limited hours. Because of this our "ECO-SYSTEM" has to live with the toxic waste, which in turn enters our bodies through swimming in the ocean, eating the fish from the ocean, and through our drinking water which by the way has no guarantee even if it comes from a bottle.

So think about it respectively as a place that contains Hazardous Materials in a controled environment. By Hazardous Materials I mean Paint, Household Cleaners, Solvents, etc. I'm not talking about Plutonium here.

Jul 29, 05 2:49 am  · 
 · 
big dead elephant

as far as 1] goes, I was just busting your balls ;)

as for 2] I guessing this is a thesis proposal? And not a spec project? Either way, the idea of turning a jail into housing is tricky but gravy if you pull it off, hazardous waste dropoff in the city makes sense, I guess I just dont understand what connects the two ideas?

Jul 29, 05 2:57 am  · 
 · 
dbroxxy

What connects the two ideas is the fact that the structure sits on the East Bank of the L.A. River, which because of pollution has been strangled of the eco-system that it once was home to.

Through the implementation of a project of this scale, it is my hope that people will become more familiar with the option of recycling through an on-site classroom/information hub and be given an oportunity to be a part of the revitalization of the L.A. River that is now underway.

Jul 29, 05 3:05 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: