Archinect
anchor

Blackprints...?

Am looking for a print shop in NYC that can take hand drafted (black lines on white) 42" drawings and print me the negative of them - white lines on black - like blueprints but blackprints actually...
it seems this is a rather obsolete practice the last place i asked they said that they'd stopped doing it 20 yrs ago , anyone know of a place that might be able to do i t ? does it take long, and does one have to bump up the line weights to get them to come out, and how do you think of the those drawings look anyway..?

Jul 28, 05 10:54 pm
marlowe

Just get a copy place to "reverse" your drawings.....I would imagine anyplace with a oversize copier can perform this act......I recall paying $2 per drawing to have this done....

Jul 29, 05 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
zero_point

C, they look really good, but I can never quit thinking about the ink they wasted to get that sexy look.

Jul 29, 05 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
djsnoop88

I think marlowe is right. This can be done.

Nowadays, copy places can copy onto anything, in large formats. If they don't have the transparent 'negative paper' (like a roll of plastic), you may need to go to Pearl and see if they have something that can be xeroxed.
Then xerox the original onto the transparency and re-xerox to white paper.You will have to pay twice and see if the xerox can clealy transfer your original to the transparency.

Jul 29, 05 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
crush

Perhaps you could go to a copy shop, say kinko's, and have them scan the drawings to disc. Take the scanned files into photoshop, or your photo editing software of choice, and invert the images yourself. This way, you could adjust the saturation, contrast, brightness as well as other things. Save the files and have someone print them off for you.

Jul 29, 05 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
c

thanks for the tips. zero , youre right they are sexy.

Jul 29, 05 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

Some Kinko's have OCE copiers with inverse options = Cheap.
I've used it many times. Just feed your full size drawings right through, self-serve.
Otherwise any old-school reprographics shop will do it.

Jul 29, 05 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
siggers

However, some staff/architects hate them, you have been warned...

Jul 30, 05 7:06 am  · 
 · 

yeah wasted ink. Do it yourself my hand and waste the time while you are at it.

Nonetheless I agree - a lost art. and rather beautiful. You will have to up the line weight to at least a .85mm to actually have it consistent throughout the drawing. Especially at that size you will get the distortion

Jul 31, 05 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
DEVicox

The type of paper is important. That amount of ink on a 24x36 looks horrible on standard, cheap plotter vellum.

Aug 1, 05 3:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: