Archinect
anchor

how critical are you?

velo

When I started school I thought the professors were a nasty bitters to make such harsh comments. Now that I'm out and a little more educated, I'm finding that I don't shy away from harsh criticism (give & take). Have I become bitter as well? I just find it more useful and to the point not to tip toe. (I don't make personal stabs though). And now that I'm working I have certain standards. One guy at our firm is sadly not very good, you need to tell him exactly what to do and still check over his work. I don't know if it's stemming from me being more bitter or aware now...

Is anyone else like this?

Second question: How do I tell this guy to sharpen up? Do I just leave it?

Jul 28, 05 7:36 pm
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

sometimes i say mean things to myself and make me cry.

Jul 29, 05 12:38 am  · 
 · 
spaceman

Could this be ROGER?
link

Jul 29, 05 2:22 am  · 
 · 
zero_point

Velo, you are not alone.

I personally think designers are more likely to use 'harsh' criticism when speaking to each other, simply because we assume [or have been enculturated to assume] that the other person can separate themselves from their work, no matter how much they might be in love with what they've done. I don't think that makes you bitter, simply terse, perhaps.

And speaking of standards, it's not surprising that someone who's not up to par with the rest of the group gets annoying to work with -- they lower the standard of everyone's work. And should be shot. Wait. No, that's a bit harsh. But they should be able to understand they're not quite cutting it, and if they for some reason are not realizing that fact, your best bet is to be honest with them. Probably you should wait until you're in a pretty good mood to broach the subject of their less than stellar performance, as you'll be more likely to have [or at least seem to have] both the company and their best interests at heart.

Or you can go the other way -- wait until they really annoy you, then use my first rationalization; they should be able to take the criticism, since it's only their work at stake, and if they're as bad as you say, they've probably gotten some crits like that before. Either way, be honest. And be as pointedly critical as you feel you need to be.

Jul 29, 05 4:25 am  · 
 · 
bigness

i'm so mean i hate myself sometimes. i find it so easy to disagree i sometimes scare myself. i will make a great designer one day!

Jul 29, 05 4:40 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

if you criticise someone all the time, they stop listening to your criticism, stop liking you, and start posting bad things anonymously on architecture forums. if you give them positive feedback about the good things they do, you earn the right to be taken seriously when you lay down the hard word. If they never do anything good, then point out where they have potential.

Jul 29, 05 4:49 am  · 
 · 
boot

mom? if that's you I'm at the library.

Jul 29, 05 9:11 am  · 
 · 
pencrush
velo

, I think zero_point ironically made some good points, and I agree with most of what he/she had to say. There's a difference between criticizing someone's design work and someone's work ethic. It sounds like you want to do the latter. If you are in a position of leadership or are accountable for this person's work, you should take them aside and say something like, "i've noticed you've been missing some of the things I asked you to pick up," or whatever the problem is, and then perhaps suggest a method for being more dillligent with their work habits. "maybe you should make a list of the work you need to do, and cross off the things that are done, so you don't miss anything," or "highlight the redlines, you've finished, so you know what's left" or give this person to more fully complete the work they haven't finished.

just my 2 cents.

Jul 29, 05 10:48 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

I believe this if you are the critic:
1) Criticize in private, Praise in Public
2) Stay within the proper context.
3)

Jul 29, 05 11:27 am  · 
 · 
thenewold

I think the important distinction to make is between being 'critical' and 'cynical'. I've always defined being critical loosely as being thoughtful. It's more like a joyful pragmatism where the critic desperately wants to articulate the reasons why something is how is is. Being cynical, by contrast, is wholly pejorative criticism with a dash of being defeatist, fatalistic, or otherwise withdrawing. Cynicism in architecture is defined by inaction.

In most academic environments it's normally super disappointing how many professors are simply cynical. These profs don't like what's being built in cities but their response is to quit that world and retreat to the shelter of academia where they can rigorously control any built work they might be involved in. These retreatist purists don't really get much built and therefore don't change the cities they're so cynical about.

Jul 29, 05 11:30 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

....OK, now that deserves criticism.

3) Use it as a tool, not a toy
4) If you enjoy delivering criticism, you need help
5) If you give it, you should be prepared to provide solutions.

Too many people in this field throw criticism around. The way we deal with others shows our character.

Jul 29, 05 11:33 am  · 
 · 
velo

Thanks for the response. For the record, I'm not ROGER. But found the post to be very entertaining.

I have made positive suggestions and corrections to my coworker. Always one on one, never when anyone else is around. However,mistakes still happen. I'm wondering if the guy is beyond repair. I don't know what do now. I don't want to ring him out. Everyone has a team-player attitude in this office. I don't want to be the one who openly reprimands him, it's not my position. But things still get screwed up. I'm a team-player, but my friendly attitude fades and bitterness increases everytime I have to review his work for such simple mistakes.

Jul 29, 05 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
nicomachean

i tend to carry two levels of criticism:

1. temporary criticism: expressed publicly with heavy consideration of the particular context...very forgiving, very understanding, and only harsh if necessity dictates (if a co-worker or co-classmate is becoming too much of a problem: approach gently at first, then lay into him with cold and stern upperhanded seriousness if necessary (ala Clive Owen taking to Jude Law in Closer)

'imperfection' is taken as a given, a natural, so not necessarily a bad thing.

2. absolute criticism: object of the criticism is gauged against my whole life's experience, against what I would have done in a similar situation. obviously this kind of criticism is of no use to anyone but yourself, but it is nice having more than one level of criticism.

How do I tell this guy to sharpen up?
fire him. unless you think you can change him. i would corroborate your critique of him. maybe your boss assumes it's part of your job to review his mistakes and spend a lot of time correcting him. maybe ask for more pay to account for this?

Jul 29, 05 7:33 pm  · 
 · 

hmmm, I think I've always been a very critical person. Maybe that's part of why architecture works for me... But I think that nicomachean explained the levels of criticism very well, and that's rather along the lines I work as well. I'm definitely more critical of myself than of others, and have standards that I set for myself that I may NOTICE when others aren't even coming close to, but I wouldn't say anything because those are my standards for me, and have nothing to do with them.

In regards to your co-worker, at some point you're going to have to say, "Look, I need you to start printing your work out and reviewing it yourself, because I don't have the time to spend on your stuff. I have my own work that needs doing." This way you're not laying into him, you're not criticizing stuff that's not your problem, but he'll come away from the conversation very clear that there IS a problem with his work, and he needs to find a way to address it. Out of curiosity, how did you become the go-to-guy for this particular bumbler?

Jul 29, 05 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
johndevlin

it helps, of course to have very high standards, but never at the expense of your humanity. Henry James used to say, "Be kind, and kind, and kind." If you are cruel it will come back to haunt you. To correct others is a thing not to be taken lightly, but only after much deliberation and patience and consideration.

Jul 30, 05 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

to set up what you like against what you don't like
is the disease of the mind.

Jul 30, 05 6:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: