Archinect
anchor

Resin Casting

Am attempting to cast a model of a 18x16x3" site- any tips or pointers from those who've had experience w. plastic / resin casts... a bit nervous b/c 1) i've never done one 2) more importantly, I haven't got enough compound for more than one cast, so really have only 1 shot at this, and have to nail it

Jul 28, 05 7:31 pm
A Center for Ants?

what kind of resin are you using? polyester? it's easy enough to work with but very toxic.

if you are.... try using a tad less catalyst to give yourself a bit more time before it sets as it's fairly big. also, if it's painted, you might be able to get away with multiple pours or just a quick one as most bubbles will be hidden. and what are you using for your mold? you've got to think about how you're going to break the cast from the mold. will it pop out easily in one piece.

also consider making the inside hollow as to reduce the amount of resin you use (since you say you're low). i'd pour so it covers the bottom of the mold, then insert a box you make that you can pour around. good luck.

Jul 28, 05 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
c

I'm using what is basically a wood box, with foam for the negative space ( don't you love having to make things inside-out and backwards.. ) will shellac them well, then spray a mold release before pouring - was told not to use Pam as a cheap lube, that it reacts w. the plastic , so spent the xtra couple $ for the real stuff..

am pouring a low viscosity polyurethane compound-

Jul 28, 05 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

ventilation, ventilation, ventilation

Jul 28, 05 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
c

tinting? have some purple tint was thinking of - the resin is opaque- a nasty sort of off-white yellow.. what does that look like w. purple added ? i don't want some nasty geriatric peptobismal looking lavender ... i'd rather go w. the first...

Jul 28, 05 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
psteiner

check the smooth-on website. they are the greatest for answering question and helping you figure everything you need. You might also consider doing a hollow cast, pour your material in, let is sit for 2/3 of the set time or...check how thick it gets and pour the rest out. you'll have a nice "shell"...a thought. I made some hollow casts of milk cartons with a crystal clear product from smooth on...

Jul 29, 05 12:15 am  · 
 · 
momentum

can you post a link to the smooth-on website?

Jul 29, 05 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
general acres

check out www.eagerplastics.com for some good information.
when people ask me for resin advice, i usually tell them to test the process at a smaller scale before they start on their final piece. if they dont have prior experience, their pieces usually dont end up the way they wanted. all i can say is good luck. bummer you dont have more cash to test it out first. but with the sound of it, you've got a good start.

have fun. wear a ventilator.

Jul 30, 05 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
c

1 last question before i take the plunge- is there anything in particular that you know of that the plastic should NOT come into contact with ... like wood? , my mold is wood and foam , it would be a shame ( read: heart attack) to find out the hard way that the plastic reacts strangely w. it..

Jul 31, 05 12:26 am  · 
 · 
psteiner

here you go...
link

Jul 31, 05 10:24 am  · 
 · 
adso

The first time you use any new material should not be "when it counts". Make a small test model to get a feel for how the stuff works.

Resin can be tricky in regards to the catalyst. Too much and it overheats and cracks. Too little and it never cures. Don't stray too much from the suggested catalyst amount.

And yes, for godssake, ventilation.

Jul 31, 05 1:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: