Archinect
anchor

do you love your job? what would you change if you could go back???

arch to be?

what do you love, not love? are you fulfilled? happy? what are the best and worst things you've done that relate to your career?

Jul 28, 05 4:04 pm
A Center for Ants?

more pay.

Jul 28, 05 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
e

love: good design. good clients. good colleagues. i don't need a lot of money just enough to exist on. i am fulfilled. best thing: started my own gig and was not afraid to leave architecture. it's the journey not the path that is important in life - studs terkel. worst thing: worked for an architect who was a self-centered, arrogant, sexist prick.

Jul 28, 05 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

I wish I worked for somebody I want to be.

Jul 28, 05 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
djsnoop88

loved to do what e has done. you've got cojones. it's tough and i wish you the best.

I hate my job, love the people I work with and the pay is good. I am a crossroads because I don't want it to be a long term gig, but it has.
And I am afraid I just pigeonholed myself to a style of architecture. I mostly likely will have to get a pay cut in order to do what I love.....

Jul 28, 05 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
arch to be?

e, what did you leave architecture for? and why?

Jul 29, 05 12:14 am  · 
 · 
French

I love: being away from the construction aspects of architecture, only working on desing/competition phases.
I miss: the construction aspects of architecture.

Jul 29, 05 6:11 am  · 
 · 
spiderdad

ARCH TO BE -- looks like e left architecture to graphics and all things design...

http://www.somelabdesign.com/fly.html

sweet stuff, e!!!
excellent work...

Jul 29, 05 7:54 am  · 
 · 
e

thx ppl. much love back.

why did i leave architecture? not an easy one to answer. it was a long, strange journey. spiderdad kinda hit it on the head. the studs quote offers much insight. as you might expect, there were many reasons, ppl, and the not to be missed opportunities that brought me to this place in time. some pleasant. some not so pleasant. one thing i have come to learn is that i am more interested in working with good ppl and clients than specifically what i do. yes design is always part of the equation, but to have a great client and dedicated colleagues is a must. to me, that is the foundation of any great work. seek them out, treat them well, respect them, and the rest will fall into place.

Jul 29, 05 11:36 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

i would like to admire those in higher positions than i am and look up to them (i currently don't, they are so digruntled and arrogant and just looking to retire etc)

i wish i worked with people and materials and paper rather than with a computer.

i wish i got the full story on the projects i work on instead of a need to know basis.

Jul 30, 05 10:49 am  · 
 · 
e

i've worked in places like that too strawbeary. they suck. don't give up though because there are place out there that are just what you looking for. you just have to keep searching or just go out and do it yourself.

one of the worst places that i worked at was where the lead design partner did not sketch and was a horrible verbal communicator. did not sketch? this is how we communicate ppl. how can you no sketch and get into a position like this. the best, or should i say worst, result of his inability to communicate was when we spent a month and half considering whether the new stairs we were inserting in to an exisitng building were going to be steel or concrete. talk about a waste of money and lack of direction.

i left that job after a few months without having a new one lined up. i told his boss and everyone else i had to meet with before i left about him and why i was leaving.

after a month, i got a new job. i wasn't making as much, but i was much happier. it was for a woman in san fran who ran a small office. there were only three of us working for her. she had an open book policy on running the office. she shared everything about the business with us. it was a wonderful experience. i owe so much to her.

Jul 30, 05 11:30 am  · 
 · 
veuxdeux

strawbeary: you need to get out of there, it sounds like they've got you where they want you

Jul 30, 05 12:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: