Jul 28, 05 3:25 pm
A Center for Ants?

bloc party
rilo kiley
mates of state

Jul 28, 05 3:29 pm  · 
1  · 
JohnProlly

Subtle,Tussle, Jaga Jazzist, Fiery Furnaces, Raek, Wu, Premonitions of War, At the Gates, Acadia Strain, Dabrye, Diplo / low budget = Hollertronix, M.I.A, Prayer for Cleansing, Cradle of Filth, Zeppelin, Apparat, Arovane, Phonem, Xela, Solvent, M83, Prefuse 73, Dimmu Borgir, Cat Stevens, Colleen, MF DOOM, Vordul, Vast Aire, Delerosa and Asora, !!!, 100 demons, ISIS, Pelican, The Bug, Bowery Electric, Four Tet, Mason Jennings, DFA 1979, Anders Liar, Wasteland, Telefon Tel Aviv, Thavius Beck, Daedelus, Tame one, Stars of the Lid, Stars as Eyes, Napoli is not Nepal, Lowfish, Lesser, Jesu, Harmonic 33, GravenHurst, Earth Crisis / Path of Resistance, NC metal, BTBAM, Dosh, Dntel, Cylob, Turmoil, Sunroof!

Jul 28, 05 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

excuse me. can you 'talk' about some of these bands?

Jul 28, 05 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
ichweiB

I like ryan adams

Jul 28, 05 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
ichweiB

I like ryan adams

Jul 28, 05 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
CalebRichers

SIX TOO...slow groovin break beat , a mix of shadow and screw

Jul 28, 05 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

ooo good list... just recently saw prefuse 73 and four tet and pelican at the intonation festival in chicago

Jul 28, 05 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

has anyone listened to the new xiu xiu album?

i wanna talk about that for a bit

Jul 28, 05 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

i missed prefuse 73 when they came thru due to some stupid family thingy. damn. i bet that was AWESOME.

Jul 28, 05 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
Sean!

ANTS- you like Mates.. i just saw them about two weeks ago.....they were great..im a big fan

Lletdownl- i heard good things about the new xiu xiu album, haven’t had a listen yet

VHS or Beta. Were good live i haven’t listened to the CD yet...but they sound like there worth it

New Favs.

M.ward
Bonnie "Prince" Billy
clap your hands say yeah
Kings of Convenience

Jul 28, 05 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
Sean!

OH...i feel trendy, but the new Bloc Party is pretty kick ass

Jul 28, 05 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

How about some good dub?

Jul 28, 05 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
sunburntkamel

strawbeary - prefuse 73 was amazing at intonation fest. try harder to see them. he played with a live band incluing 2 live drummers. very fun, way better than the album stuff.

Jul 28, 05 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
pomotrash

fro9k-
today in the studio we 've been jamming to King tubby, and a bunch of Scientist stuff. I read in the Wire that there is a new Lee Perry set of tunes from his old Black Ark studio.
Once payday comes, I'm off to the shop to snag it.

Other than the dub. I started off the day with Substance by Joy Division, Oi by Sea and the Cake, and the new Marc Stewart Maffia/Popgroup comp.
Right now it's time to get religion with The Fall.

Jul 28, 05 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
heterarch

this thread gets done over and over about once a month, and unlike other perpetual threads, i'm always interested in this one. don't have time to really keep abreast of the music scene, so you hipsters are my life line to new sounds. i know, i'm a parasite... :)

Jul 28, 05 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

spread the music love....

ok. i have a problem though. i'm really digging Vanessa Carlton right now. particularly "white houses" and i used to pride myself on my distinguishing musical tastes. help!

:-(

Jul 28, 05 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

For fans of Prefuse - Piano Overlord is Scott's side project. It's on 12" now - BUY IT - its very "tit"

Jul 28, 05 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

the prefuse set was definetly good... that whole intonation festival was increidble... the wrens were unbelieveable... one of my favorite bands definetly... Anderw bird was great too.

but you guys relaly should check out the new Architecture in Helsinki album "in case we die" not only are they called architure in helsinki...but the album is incredible...

i also HIGHLY recomend LCD Soundsystem, james murphys band... they are incredible... great party music

Jul 28, 05 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

also...

everyone should check out morning becomes ecletic

http://www.kcrw.com/show/mb

they do a bunch of great in studio live sets... so so great... tons of awesome sets

Jul 28, 05 8:48 pm  · 
 · 

woh, am i feeling old.

i still listen to stevie ray vaughan, jeff buckley, pink floyd, that sort of stuff. i love to play and listen to blues guitar so thats part of it, i suppose. Anything by Robert Johnson or Willie Dixon is pefect for chillin to but can't play while working cuz i start listening to it.

Am recently in awe of django reinhardt, a 3 fingered gypsy guitarist that puts all comers to shame. When it comes to sheer musical expression he and nina simone blow me away every time. Something to aspire to.

when working, lately i've been listening to country music from online stations. something very entertaining and direct about it...go figger. never liked it much before but there it is, suddenly jonny cash and SheDaisy are background music for a new-build housing project and a small reno-job. Must be that 4/4 time...

Jul 28, 05 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
GAWD

When I need to do a paradigm shift - The Doors.

Jul 28, 05 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
joed

why do these threads always make me cringe? music is a huge part of my life and i love a lot of the music you guys love, but these things always seem like such "look-at-me-i'm-so-indy/underground"-fests. it's as if it's not enough to just enjoy your special bands, but you need to make sure that other people know that you enjoy them. all of the indy kids in the world just need to stop with the band name-dropping right now. (and yes, i understand the difference between 'spreading the word' and name-dropping). i think abra had it right when he asked: "excuse me. can you 'talk' about some of these bands?" all most of you people ever do is come in here and write lists of semi-obscure band names...

christ, i think i have a bit of a caulfield complex (you phonies!)... sometimes i wish i had a more anonymous nick. oh well.

Jul 28, 05 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

look at me im so cool-

the partridge family, the lemon pipers, the cowsills, kenny rogers and the first edition, the 1910 fruitgum company, the grass roots, the ohio express, vanity faire.

Jul 28, 05 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
joed

well, vanity fair is pretty cool. sometimes i take those quizzes they have... 'is your man hot in bed??,' wait, i think that was cosmo. either way, pretty good stuff. did you see them live the other day?

Jul 28, 05 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
joed

you know, at that place...

Jul 28, 05 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i am listening to architecture in helsinki right now, can you say tomtomclub?

Jul 28, 05 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
joed

it's 5!!

Jul 28, 05 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
heterarch

been checking up on some suggestions here....
already dug bloc party, kings of convenience, few others
checked out xiuxiu, arch in helsinki, mates of state...
a strong "eh" to the first two, but a "hellyeah" to mates.

Jul 29, 05 12:29 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

inkognito mosquito

Jul 29, 05 1:20 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

hey-o-hansen

Jul 29, 05 1:23 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)
maximo park

: franz ferdinand but better
vitalic: the best thing out of france since daft punk
the boy least likely to: if you like architecture in helsinki
sleater kinney: loud women (give it a few listens, it gets better)

Jul 29, 05 1:49 am  · 
 · 
heterarch

props to agfa for illuminating...

Jul 29, 05 2:10 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

fro9k: try some kiwi dub, and d&b

trinity roots: laid back
concorde dawn: d&b, very not laid back
salmonella dub: bit of both.

Jul 29, 05 3:16 am  · 
 · 
bigness

let's talk about music.

karate are no more.

the world is a slightly uglier place.

Jul 29, 05 4:07 am  · 
 · 
dragthelake

what about eamonn vitt?

is that the karate your referring to?

Jul 29, 05 9:12 am  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

My top five favorite bands. Three stay the same, two change:

Always:
The Cure
The Smiths
The Catherine Wheel

Changes:
Kent
Sigur Ros
Mogwai
Swervedriver
Muse
Placebo

New Bands from the past year or so that I've liked the most:

Bloc Party
Kasabian
Hope Of The States
The Cooper Temple Clause
The Dears
Doves
Elbow
Turin Brakes
Spoon
Razorlight
The Libertines
The Killers
Franz Ferdinand
Explosions In The Sky
Death In Vegas
Calla
Broken Social Scene
British Sea Power

Jul 29, 05 9:50 am  · 
 · 
jitter12

Question posed for the masses: Are you lyrically based, or music based? What I mean is, do you find yourself drawn to sounds or words?

My wife and I get in this argument a lot. She is searching for meaning and expression in the lyrics, hence the fascination with Celine Dion and Clay Aiken (Headphones PLEASE!). She doesn't understand my fascination with electronica (mindnumbing) and rap/ hard driving music (all the offensive/disturbing lyrics)

I, on the other hand, tend to find pleasure in the sound, the structure of the song. I can't convince her that the lyrics are last on my list of importance, and that I rarely notice the lyrics. Now don't get me wrong, good wordplay, rhythm and tempo changes with words, and such, that all excites me very much, as it is another layer to the sound.

Just wondering where the 'nectars fall on this

Jul 29, 05 10:45 am  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

Being a musician, songwriter, guitarist, performer, whatever you want to call it, I'm always focused on everything. Since we're talking about listening to music, I think I listen more to the way vocals sound than what the lyrics say.

A good song's lyrics will last in your mind when they're delivered in the right way. Think of a band like Doves. Their singer gets criticized a bit for not having a good voice. But the way they do the production, it's very emotional, kind of flowing and airy. It sets a mood, and forces you to pay attention to the lyrics a bit more I think.

I just love when a song's mix is perfect, vocals are there, all instruments are perfectly balanced and it's instantly an enjoyable song.

Jul 29, 05 11:04 am  · 
 · 
joed

Also a musician, songwrite, guitarist, performer, whatever you call it, I find that I also listen more, at first, to the way the vocals sound than what the lyrics say. But the songs that stick with me for years are the ones that catch my ear and then, once I listen closer to and/or read the lyrics, find that there is a really interesting message. I have found in the past, after finally finding out what some semi-unintelligible lyric is, that a song's meaning can change for me entirely, usually becoming much more personally significant.

Jul 29, 05 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
joed

songwriterrrrrr

Jul 29, 05 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

my favorite bands /artists everyone else has heard of / signed to a major label:

Led Zepplin
Beatles
Jimmy Eat World
Green Day
John Coltrane
Foo Fighters
Stone Temple Pilots (when Scott Wyland was NOT clean)
Smashing Pumpkins
B.B. King
Allman Bros.
AC/DC
Jack Johnson

Jul 29, 05 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
e

i'm into groveling these days >> tom waits and mark lanegan.

tom is quite the showman. if you have the chance don't miss him live. always entertaining. shows last about 2.5 hours. mark on the otherhand was a big disappointment the last time he came through town. after the opener completed their set, the crowd was informed the mark would not be pleying tonight. the boy must be on the smack again.

Jul 29, 05 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
mintcar

what's the big deal with bloc party? they're a PR manufactured band if i ever heard one (and saw -- remember their media blitz when they somehow unbeknownst appeared on all these covers last year?) and why is their website so pretentious? anyway, i'm just not feeling it. i'll stop hating.

on a positive note, i love junior boys, which i highly recommend. it's the sexiest music i've heard in the last year coming out of north america. (i am definitely more of an electronic person when it comes to current music). also, (sometimes) erlend oye's "remix" collection, as well as other "bands" that are more electronic. i am personally wary of the current glut of singer-songwriter types and pomo-cute-chaotic-handclapping-musical-jamboree bands. although nouvelle vague is kinda fun. but that's just a preference.

and of course, by my name, i do like the cure. def enjoy the clash and their era counterparts. monteno -- i also very much like doves. there's always something more aesthetically moving when you hear very nuanced sounds. i am personally a fan of sound over lyrics, although i know it's disappointing when great lyrics are accompanied by poor instrumentals.

Jul 29, 05 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
Rebekah

Jitter:
Also a musician, I find that if the music is well written you can tell what the song is about without ever knowing the lyrics. I never listen directly to the lyrics, if I know them eventually it's only a byproduct of osmosis from listening over and over. I need a song that grooves (ie Stevie, Prince, etc.).
My friend listens to the lyrics first, but he's more into like Iron and Wine and Mojave 3. It's an ongoing debate that'll never end....

Jul 29, 05 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

ryan adams cold roses is so good.

Jul 29, 05 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
heterarch

i dig bloc party's sound, but haven't been convinced that they're "as important as the clash, but sound better" or whatever the sticker on the cd says.. i started listening to them before i encountered all the pr inundation, might not have bought in if i had been hit with the pr first.
btw, really digging on trinity roots at the moment, thx for the suggestions necters.

Jul 29, 05 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

mint car: totally agree on bloc party...
i am not gettin it at all,
i saw a live set of thiers and was completely unimpressed, their song writing is lacking... though they are good performers.

i am so blown away by this new architecture in helsinki album, has anyone else given it much time and been impressed? i mean... i LOVE this thing... i saw an it 5! up there... great song... its so good... so good

Jul 29, 05 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Favorite major labels so joed doesn't think I'm pretentious:
NIN
Bjork
Medeski Martin Wood
Prince
Radiohead

But really I just like electronica, most of which is underground.

jitter! how could you marry a woman who likes celine? garsh!

Jul 29, 05 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
rabbits

Current favories:

Rhythm&Sound - See Mi Yah - R&S assemble an amazing collection of vocalists for this awesome one riddim new-wave german dub masterpiece

Jamie Liddell - Multiply - New millenium motown. You would think it would suck, but it actually rules.

Kool Keith - The Personal Album - Pure. Genius.

Prince Douglas - Dub Roots - Awesome Wackie's ressue. Classic early 80s dub.

Arthur Russell - The World of Arthur Russell - Ressue/retrospective from this funk weirdo.

Isolee - We are Monster - Holy Crap. Isolee and Playhouse Records rule.

-andrew

Jul 29, 05 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
leander

i haven't read the entire thread, but i love rilo kiley. my slumbering heart is my favorite.

Jul 29, 05 3:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: