Archinect
anchor

public / industrial spaces turned domestic

michellefr

i am looking for buildings that were once, either public -- libraries, stores, etc., or industrial -- warehouses, that have been transformed into something domestic, like a hotel or bed and breakfast. anyone know of any?

yes, i am a student, and yes, i am asking for help. if you don't have anything nice/positive to respond with, please don't waste my time.

thanks.

Jul 26, 05 5:36 pm

The Circus of Domitain turned into the Piazza Navona. Legend has it that were St. Agnes was jailed in a brothel within the Circus of Domitia (which was rebuilt by Alexander Severus and renamed Circus Agonalia) is now St. Agnes in Agone on the Piazza Navona.

Jul 26, 05 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

hehe - now there's the making of a standard disclaimer...

albuquerque high school is in the midst of being converted into housing.

Jul 26, 05 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
AP

two residential areas by MVRDV and West 8 in Amsterdam:

http://www.arcspace.com/architects/mvrdv/silodam_article.html

http://www.archnewsnow.com/features/Feature90.htm

both adapt to previously industrial areas...

Jul 26, 05 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Schools. Since the population of elementary through middle school aged children has declined considerably over the years, the City of Atlanta has been putting several schools up for sale. I know of at least 2 high schools (Bass & Roosevelt) that were converted to loft apts in the 1990s.

I'm sure they've been quite profitable for the developers. I think it'll be interesting to see wwhat happens once all of the young, urban couples that have moved back into the city (dare I call 'em Yuppies) start having kids. Everyone's gonna wonder what happened to all the schools...but, maybe those 2 income households aren't 'traditional.'

Jul 26, 05 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

not for nothing and i mean this in the most non-frontational way possible, but you have asked 2 questions, no follow up responses, and no posts in any other thread. do you plan to just take and not contribute - other than your questions and telling people how to answer them - or should i not expect so much?

Jul 26, 05 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
alexan

im sorry i tried to search for the article i saw earlier this year, but, the foundry (an old industrial complex in the heart of providence, ri) is currently being rennovated into upscale apartments.
Im supprised you have not found more resources on public spaces turning residential. It seems almost an almost natural progression. The pre-existing elements of a public structure always contribute to a visually, and spacially, interesting dwelling.
think about aeg turbine facility and the following evolution of modernist residential architecture.
big spaces, interesting structural elements (even an incorporation or amalgram of past and present), and predetermined floorplan allow such expansion.
good luck with your work

Jul 27, 05 2:01 am  · 
 · 
mm

Forest City Ratner converted an an abandoned school on Vanderbilt Avenue in Prospect Heights, Brooklyn into apartments. It's a beautiful building. You might be able to find something about it online.

Also, there was a church in the South End of Boston that was converted to apartments a couple of years ago.

An old fire station adjacent to MIT was converted to a hotel. The whole building was move a couple of hundred feet to be closer to the street and an addition was built on the rear.

Jul 27, 05 9:45 am  · 
 · 
rutger
this weeks weekly dose of architecture
Jul 27, 05 9:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: