Archinect
anchor

tangent fields of architecture

currin

I am currently finishing my BS in architecture, and i have some queries. People always are seemingly saying that if architecture isnt it there are so many other fields that you can be part of with an architects education. I've been so into furniture and sculpture recently it makes it seem like perhaps i should be doing something other than architecture with this design education. heres where it gets intense, i do love architecture i think its noble and nessessary, but i just am curious of other perhaps similar fields, and whether grad schools in say furniture design, would take an architecture BS?

Jul 25, 05 12:21 pm
A Center for Ants?

MID, masters in industrial design. that's what you're looking for.

try Art Center in Pasadena and RISD

dunno where else has MIDs... look it up.

Jul 25, 05 1:17 pm  · 
 · 

Lots of schools have MDes, which can be ID if you choose.

However, keep in mind that an architect can always sculpt and design furniture, but a sculptor or id person can't as often design buildings.

I have professors and studiomates who did/are doing the m arch even though they are more into art/sculpture.

Jul 25, 05 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Auto Body Repair can be a lucrative & cathartic field that utilizes many of the skills necessary to be an (anal) architect.

Jul 26, 05 9:29 am  · 
 · 
siggers

I think about being a filmmaker, not original, but a nice dream...

one of my better (architecture related) attempts;
http://andri.haflidason.com/upload/HQvideo.wmv

Jul 26, 05 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

As long as you're a fan of the deconstructivists, you'd be right at home getting a job in demolition. There's heavy architectural involvement, structural knowledge is important and who better to blow up a stadium with a million tons of dynamite released in a carefully timed sequence than a person with an architectural degree?

You know your stuff, so tear it up!

Jul 26, 05 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

signum, that was poetic. you've got it..

Jul 26, 05 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

I like it.

Jul 26, 05 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
job job

hi signum, check out the work of diploma unit 3:
http://www.projectsreview.com/
be aware it is an aa website - you know, work done by crazy monsters

hi currin, perhaps set designs?
http://www.stufish.com/ : it's a tragically bad website of mark fisher who has designed u2 tours
or http://kdg.mit.edu/ : kinetic sculpture/installation (this is the domain of the avant-garde practice that experiments with new material/fabrication and responsive techniques - basically a unitary testground for larger environment scenarios).

Jul 26, 05 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

The lead designer at Nike is an Architect......Actually I was also told that Phil Knight (Nike grand poobah ) is also an Architect. Not a bad day job for an Architect, I also have to admit somewhat of a power position too!

Jul 26, 05 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
siggers

Thanks guys, much appreciate :)

And good link snowi - I did indeed find some work there which I found less monstrous than what I have previously seen. I thought the films from diploma unit 3 where a bit hit-and-miss (plus the first one has the most hilarious nonsense spoken over it!)

However, my mind is beginning to change; there is a place for this stuff, but - I think - in my head or in 'my architecture'.

Cheers

Jul 27, 05 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
benisball

Production Design of Movies, Commercials, Music Videos.

Jul 27, 05 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
alliecat

I just got a job drafting plans and elevations for a movie set... i'm not sure what to think yet... the Art Director is really nice, but he keeps saying 'ciao' to me and it gets me all flustered... should i be all hollywood now and return the 'ciao'? is he looking for me to 'ciao' back!? the pressure in movie business is incredible... i'll let you know how it goes...

Jul 29, 05 1:12 am  · 
 · 
symmetry

filrmaking is definitely my other passion

Jul 29, 05 3:00 am  · 
 · 
job job

hi signum - yah the first one has a voiceover that is p a i n f u l l y tedious. but the shots of that mondo rock of gibraltar are amazing

alliecat, try the stick-em-up gesture with both hands, wink and ciao. who's flustered NOW???

Jul 29, 05 10:18 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

AllieCat,
I did quite a bit of set, studio & tech space design for a broadcast network. Those people are great to work with, never boring, but raise hell like there's no tomorrow. I'd say they're some of the most demanding people that an architect can work for. But the rewards are pretty good, too.

Jul 29, 05 11:44 am  · 
 · 
alliecat

snowi... that is a killer tip... gratis!

mysteryman... i'm catching on to what you mean by demanding... this is supposed to be a few hours here and there type of gig, but yesterday they faxed me a bad copy of a 40 scale plan, which is more like 50 scale of an open air ampitheatre (that seats 2000) that they wanted me to survey and draw up by tuesday...
they know i work full-time too, i just don't think they quite grasp the task they assigned me...

Jul 29, 05 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

The main thing to remember with this kind of client is: If they want it yesterday, they have to pay you for it. If that statement is true anywhere, and if your odds of getting the $$$ are high, it IS w/ Broadcast/Entertainment types. Now go get the dough!!!

I'm starting to sound like some kinda Archinect advocate-guy.
BTW, loved the cigar shot. ;) I miss going to weddings as a single guy, boo-hooo :(

Jul 29, 05 4:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: