Archinect
anchor

BIKING AROUND TOWN, HELP!!

gilyons

I need a bike to get me around town . its really a matter of getting up and down the hills . problem is do i really want to be stuck with a city bike ? what do do if i want to go off road /

PLEASE HELP !! seems like you know what to do!!

thanks

Jul 23, 05 5:34 pm
driftwood

Why for do people--especially those who've never posted on the forum before (or at the very least, fail to mention what their previous user name was)--get the impression that it's a perfectly fine idea to join a message board whose primary function is the discussion of architecture/design and start asking assinine questions such as this?

Has society become so lazy as to promote and engage in such nonsense as asking complete strangers on a design-based message board for advice on what bike he/she should buy? Sure this message board has its biking enthusiasts, but why can't gilyons do his/her own research?

Gilyons, have you even thought about going to your local bike shop and asking them?

Am I being an asshole, or what?

Jul 23, 05 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

no driftwood; but i'd simply suggest a tricycle for this idiot.

Jul 23, 05 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
joe
try here

or any other cycling forum. might thing about getting something with gears????

Jul 23, 05 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
zeth01

once again. why does everyone bitch so much on here? It is a logical question that gilyons has. Maybe gilyons is a designer and just wanted to use this forum because he/she feels that they can relate better to people who have something in common. And who cares if they are new or switched their name. Anyone who so chooses may use this forum.

Just buy a high end mountain bike. I have a cannondale F4000. Very light very fast and much easier to get up and down hills. you can lock the shock so that it is easier to get uphill. I can usually keep up with the guys on the road bikes with this bike and it is bad ass for cross country etc. I use this bike to race. If you wan tto get more extreme though you may want two bikes. Good Luck.

Jul 23, 05 10:42 pm  · 
 · 

you need to have 2 bikes. get a good bargain on a used road bike to get you quickly from a to b , and then get an off road bike...top of the line or whatever suits ur fancy. and stop it with the damn caps.

Jul 23, 05 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
zeth01

more complaining by another person again if someone wants to use caps then well they have that right. tis is everyones forum and no one has the right to tell someone else what to do.

Jul 23, 05 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
zeth01

This is a place where prople should feel free to express themselves without personal criticism. If you want to argue a point on a topic fine but to tell someone they can't do something is just stupid.

Jul 23, 05 11:27 pm  · 
 · 

don't worry... I won't take the remark about being stupid as "personal criticism."

Jul 24, 05 12:49 am  · 
 · 
zeth01

well thats good because it is was not ment to critisize you but rather just to say that the act of critisizing someone negatively is not needed here. Has nothing to do with you...

Jul 24, 05 2:21 am  · 
 · 
driftwood
why does everyone bitch so much on here?

They do? Like who? I hadn't noticed... You're including yourself, right?

It is a logical question that gilyons has.
According to whom? If we're just going on personal opinion, I find it very illogical for a newbie to ask total strangers on the internet about whether or not they should get a street bike or a mountain bike on a message board not dedicated to such a topic.

Maybe gilyons is a designer and just wanted to use this forum because he/she feels that they can relate better to people who have something in common.
So what you're saying is that you think gilyons is a designer who has nothing in common with the guy or gal in the local bike shop, nor can he/she relate to these people in real life? I like to think more highly of designers.

And who cares if they are new or switched their name. Anyone who so chooses may use this forum.
I don't recall suggesting that certain people shouldn't use this forum. But how many 'users' of this message board pop on, ask a silly/assinine question (though, most have something to do with design/architecture) that usually deals with letting others do their google search for them and leave, never to be seen again? Quite a few. If it was an established user, I'd be less inclined to be annoyed than I would be if it was a newbie.

I'm sure you'll note that I never once criticize gilyons. I merely ask a series of rhetorical questions 'designed' to invoke a response. You'll note that I start off with a generalized statement: "Why do people ask stupid questions?" (A perfectly intelligent response would have been, "there's no such thing as a stupid question.") Next comes a possible answer to my question. Society has generally become addicted to quick fixes, expecting others to provide them with answers, not bothering to enrich themselves by finding the answer for themselves. Following this train of thought, I ask gilyons if he/she has bothered to do the most logical thing I can imagine doing in this situation. You'll also note that I admit that my exasperation is potentially misplaced.

I just find this sort of thing discomforting.

Jul 24, 05 4:41 am  · 
 · 
greenmach

at least asking about bicycle opinions has something to do with urbanity.

i'm hard-pressed to find the connection between women's asses, anti-depressents, god, etc. etc. and design of an architectural nature.

lighten up people. it's summer.

Jul 24, 05 6:41 am  · 
 · 
rls

WOW!

Jul 24, 05 8:40 am  · 
 · 
zeth01

word to greenmach

Jul 24, 05 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
gilyons

I think this all should come to and end . I came to this site through searching internet for information on bikesDOING MY OWN RESEARCH. I was brught to another thread about bikes read all the responses amd felt tjhat the people answering ha d good suggestions thus this site become part of the research that i was doing. its was only after i posted my own thread did i realise that its was a design related site but didnt think it as such a big deal as some insecure overpretentios , stuck up short sited unhumunatarian indivials that seem to frequent this internet site. I thank those that did give advice and apologise for entering into a website that had little to do with my research.i bid you a good day

Jul 24, 05 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

lol
Seeing as everyone has their panties in a bunch about netiquette, I believe all of you can find yourselves on this site.

Jul 24, 05 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

So...

What are y'all wearing?

Jul 24, 05 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

drift-

i had the same dilemma but didn't want to spring a grand for the road bike i really wanted. so i decided to spend a few dollars just retrofitting my mt. bike for city riding a little better. basically i'm trying to reduce the weight of it as much as possible (new seatpost, new handle bars, etc. etc.)

and the most important, i slapped on a set of IRC Smoothie tires (1.25 x 26" so you need a new set of inner tubes most likely) on my wheels (swapped out a set of WTB velociraptors). makes it run so much faster on the pavement. and it's easy enough to make the change back to them if need be.

oh. and i don't wear panties.

Jul 24, 05 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

oops. i meant to address drift first... but never mind.

Jul 24, 05 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

Not even on your head?

Jul 24, 05 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

I find the frilly ones have good aerodynamic capabilities.

Jul 25, 05 1:37 am  · 
 · 
driftwood

Screw aerodynamics...

They just make me feel pretty.

Jul 25, 05 2:29 am  · 
 · 
geno

if only you all knew what driftwood looks like......

Jul 25, 05 3:16 am  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

like this??

Jul 25, 05 4:44 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

bicycles are for pussies

real men walk the walk

Jul 25, 05 9:43 am  · 
 · 
gilyons

puddles that how much you know about bikes clearly clueless . cars might go faster but bikes are a different story

Jul 25, 05 9:52 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

fuck cars, too

use your feet

Jul 25, 05 10:01 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Personally, I think a graphic "HELP!!!!!" should be reserved for hard drive crashes, about to be fired unless you can fix a mistake, need tp find grad school housing in the next 48 hours, etc.

driftwood, you are in no way being an asshole. At least not on this thread (I kid, I kid...;-)

Jul 25, 05 10:58 am  · 
 · 
A

greenmach - womens asses have everything to do with design. How dare you claim they don't

Jul 25, 05 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
greenmach

ok fine. my bad.

but driftwoods candy-ass girl photo probably has the 'evil archinect discussion topic' of the bicycle to thank for the beauty of her toned ass.

Jul 25, 05 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
geno

thanks to the bicycles of the world for your contribution to hot asses.

keep biking so you have something to contribute.

Jul 25, 05 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
pomotrash

Buy an old road bike. loose the cogs and go for a single speed or fixie.
You'll have less mechanical problems and the gals will love you.

Once you feel comfortable riding about town, set up the drive train with a 53-10 combo and then the guys will love you.

Jul 25, 05 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
greenmach

my ass needs work.
can anyone suggest a good bike to buy?
oh shit. that's the topic of the thread.

Jul 25, 05 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

positive re-enforcement is critical to maintaining a comitment to exercise

Jul 25, 05 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
geno

F**KING BRILLIANT.
the solution to obesity.

Jul 25, 05 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

Best. Thread. Ever.

Jul 25, 05 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
geno

The bully comes around.
Everyone loves a good 'After-School-Special'.

Jul 25, 05 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
gilyons

See all turns round once again driftwood perfect idea develoment textbook design theory (i took a semester of design in high school)

Jul 25, 05 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
geno

woah gilyons around backwards talk all.

i suggest a name change to 'yoda'

Jul 25, 05 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
gilyons

geno whats your problem

Jul 25, 05 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

Hehehehe...

'Yoda.'

Jul 25, 05 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

driftwood, werent you the one pimping your Pontiac Vibe?
Why dont you fuck off to some automotive discussion thread????

Jul 25, 05 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

Like Generation Vibe?

Truth be told, I haven't ever 'pimped' my Vibe. Nor any other automobile for that matter. I don't find that sort of car culture to particularly worthwhile--both for its questionable aesthetics and its blatant materialism (though they seem to have the monopoly on ghetto bootay!).

Regardless, it seems you didn't notice the fact that the situation has pretty much worn itself out some time ago... It's comforting to know I'm not the only ass on these boards.

Let's all move along.

Jul 25, 05 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
gilyons

seems that driftwood is as contradictory as the rest of them driftwood , exactly that wood with no purpose just drifting along and seeing what it hits next

Jul 26, 05 1:46 am  · 
 · 
geno

what does yoda's ass look like?

just curious.

i bet he could borrow E.T.'s bike.

Jul 26, 05 1:51 am  · 
 · 
norm

neglecting driftwoods ridiculous comment -
i have taken two approaches in the past to similar situations.
i have outfitted an old road bike i had with mtn bike gears when i lived in a particularly hilly town. recently i've put 1.5" cyclo-cross tires on my mountain bike and ditched the suspension fork for a rigid one for different reasons than yours. but in your case you might take that a step further and put on 1.5" slick tires. and there's no sense for you to carry that added weight and the inherent inefficiency of a bouncy suspension around town.

Jul 26, 05 9:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: