Archinect
anchor

career change

navyasw02

Im considering a career in architecture, but I have a few questions before I dig too deep into it. I have a BS in Naval Architecture and I've been a naval officer for the past 3 years with nuclear engineering and management experience. I'm also working on a masters degree in engineering management. What can I use of what I already have towards a degree in architecture and the architectural field? Is Naval Architecture and Architecture close enough to make the transition?

Jul 21, 05 10:06 pm
proto

not for design
however you could be light years ahead as a project manager

Jul 21, 05 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
Tectonic

What would you like to do with an architecture career?

Jul 21, 05 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

talk to per corell over on the "hi, all you fancy graphics lovers" thread. he has designed some boats and is now working with architecture.

also, check out the freedom ship which seems to be an interesting convergence of building architecture, urbanism, and naval architecture

Jul 21, 05 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

NavyASW02,
Hoo-Rah (FFG-47, USS Nicholas). I take it from the ASW, you must've been surface: Destroyer, or FFG? Aviator? Helos or S-3 Viking, perhaps?

Anyway, you've got great experience, mainly gonna help you out, as PROTO said, in project mgt/bldg systems. However, if you want to go the design route (less dinheiro, for sure), Naval Arch will have a lot to offer your study of 'regular' Architecture. Already, you probably understand a hella lot more abt. assemblies, spatial relationships & systems relationships than most of your potential classmates. If you're wanting to translate your experience into a more artistic (design) career path, that might be a change of pace for ya, It just depends on if you've got the aptitude for that & if you embrace it. But I say go for it. You'll find a lot of use for your experience.
Good Luck to you.

Jul 22, 05 12:21 am  · 
 · 
sini

quite honestly, I'd say that you have quite a lot going on... a transfer into straight 'architecture' may be quite taxing and disappointing.

have a look at design schools' life and architectural office's everyday range of activities...

Jul 22, 05 1:03 am  · 
 · 
paper

for what it's worth, at one point, louis kahn designed a ship. certainly wasn't nuclear, nor worthy of a navy, but still.

Jul 22, 05 1:46 am  · 
 · 
navyasw02

Thanks for all the suggestions, unfortunately I was on duty and couldnt reply to all of them. Mysterman, unfortunately I'm a submariner, my initials just happen to be ASW. Ironic isnt it? I would like to be a project manager, but I'm not sure if companies would hire me as I dont really have any civil engineering or a straight architectural background. I also wouldnt mind getting into some design aspects and maybe get into residential designs. Thanks for all the replies, look forward to getting more info from you all.

Jul 23, 05 8:50 am  · 
 · 
citizen4nr

hey navyasw. i am currently a project engineer for a cm firm. i only minored in architecture, my main course of study being in the biological sciences. even with this limited background, i learned everything in the office and out in the field, and i know that most of our project managers got most of their experience on the job as well. However, with your background not only in engineering management but in the military as well (military discipline will DEFINITELY come in handy) i think you are more than qualified to become a great project manager. You dont have to start off as a project manager either. You could try to gain some work experience as a project engineer for a few years, which actually could give you the pm training without any of the pressures of a pm.

Jul 23, 05 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

I agree w/ CITIZEN4NR, again, I think any 'learning curves' you have will be minimal. And, unless you're really interested in drainage, civil engineering experience won't hold you back. There are so many paths to take in Architecture, Construction Mgt & Architectural Project Mgt that you'll fit in somewhere. Your weak link might be the design side, if you want to go that route, it just takes time.

Anyway, from my recollection, you sub-drivers are at the top of the heap.
It was a litle disconcerting having you guys refer tol our nice little FFG as a 'target.' Anyway, hope to hear from you again once you re-surface. Must be a little tough finding a free wi-fi site way out there.

Jul 23, 05 11:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: