Archinect
anchor

#OccupyWallStreet

drums please, Fab?

both/and

Nov 19, 11 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Black Friday Drive really slow day!!!   I just thought of this... Everyone occupy the arteries of commerce by driving very slow and creating traffic...The coppers won't even know who did it.

Nov 19, 11 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

but that will lower gas mileage and put more money in oil corporation oppressor's pockets

not to mention how much hotter it will make the globe

:'(

Nov 19, 11 4:03 pm  · 
 · 

Black Friday Action

Support local small business - boycott corproations and franchises.

Nov 19, 11 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

what's a corproation?

Nov 19, 11 5:08 pm  · 
 · 

jarleo, I like that direction.  I'm already committed to only buying small and local for the holidays, and I haven't spent any money on Black Friday in probably close to ten years.  Not that my tiny protest will affect WalMart and their plan to get people to line up by the hundreds Thanksgiving afternoon, but I'm doing it anyway.

Thanks for the useful information Miles, unfortunately I think it will come in handy in the future. Keith I'm sadly afraid you are right.

Nov 19, 11 8:33 pm  · 
 · 

(Reuters) - "The Occupy Wall Street movement is a big enough problem for U.S. banks that they should pay for opposition research into the political motives of protesters, said a firm that lobbies for the industry."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/19/us-lobbying-banks-idUSTRE7AI0YA20111119

Nov 19, 11 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
newguy

UC Davis Chancellor after the incident:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ0t9ez_EGI

Nov 20, 11 2:03 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Matias, that video swelled me with so much respect for the students. That exit was brutally, incredibly blunt, and you could see the shame and fear in her eyes. Good on you UC Davis student body!

Nov 20, 11 11:44 am  · 
 · 

Yeah, that silent walk of shame is amazing.  Strength when protestors are organized.

Nov 20, 11 6:51 pm  · 
 · 

Here is a great interview w/ author Michael Lewis:

http://www.reuters.com/video/2011/10/04/michael-lewis-wall-streets-fingerprints?videoId=222228347

The last 2 minutes he talks about Occupy.

Nov 20, 11 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

@donna - my neighbor has taken to calling the new 'tradition' of opening stores on thanksgiving for 'holiday sales' to beat the 'black friday' rush as d*ck thursday, referencing the kind of mentality it takes to open a store when folks are just wrapping up thanksgiving dinner.

Nov 21, 11 1:31 am  · 
 · 
newguy

about 4:40 in should really cheer you up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLlrn3_G1ZQ

Nov 21, 11 6:33 am  · 
 · 

Dick Thursday is an excellent name.  If we could work the word greedy in there all the better.

Wouldn't it be lovely if NO ONE showed up to these dick stores? I mean my god, can we have ONE freaking day in this country when people AREN'T trying to buy their way to happiness?!

Nov 21, 11 7:25 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

you aren't required to go shopping.  one freaking day?  actually most days are not marketed as days to 'buy (your) way to happiness'.

and some people actually shop for other people, the spirit of giving, on dick thursday/black friday as it has become the kickoff to the Christmas season ..

Nov 21, 11 11:47 am  · 
 · 
stiletta

...I think you mean the COMMODIFICATION of giving...?

Nov 21, 11 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

paul..is there any way that Archinect will have an ignore button anytime soon?

FRaC..I'd rather not read or see your comments anymore..not because you have a difference of opinion or on the other side..but you've slowly become the worst example of those on the other side...similar to OReilly, Rush, Beck...unable to bring anything to the argument other than snide comments.

Nov 21, 11 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

as the voice of reason in a thread of hyperbole, i would be honored to be ignored by you!

Nov 21, 11 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

and some people actually shop for other people, the spirit of giving, on dick thursday/black friday as it has become the kickoff to the Christmas season ..

psst... your family and friends want cash.

Nov 21, 11 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

for lars:

Occupy L.A. is more hassle than boon to L.A. Mall merchants

By Angel Jennings, Los Angeles Times

November 19, 2011

With the Occupy L.A. tent community just steps from the L.A. Mall, one might expect the underground retail center to be reaping the benefits of the growing crowd.

But many merchants said it's been more of a headache than a windfall.

Salim Virani said his dry-cleaning business has suffered from layoffs in recent months at nearby government facilities downtown, including Los Angeles City Hall. So he wasn't thrilled to have Occupy L.A. campers come by and ask him to clean up to 30 sleeping bags, free of charge.

"They are asking for the impossible," said Virani, who has operated Elite Cleaners in the mall for more than 20 years.

Virani said the protesters were angry at being turned down, perhaps because many businesses, including restaurants, have provided food, goods and services to the campers for free.

At California Pita, cashier Danny Davood said the eatery initially served as many as 10 campers a day who bought falafels and hummus. But they stopped coming after they found free food elsewhere, he said.

(linky clicky for rest ..)

Nov 21, 11 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
newguy

Salim Virani said his dry-cleaning business has suffered from layoffs in recent months at nearby government facilities downtown, including Los Angeles City Hall. So he wasn't thrilled to have Occupy L.A. campers come by and ask him to clean up to 30 sleeping bags, free of charge.

He's suffering because of the government austerity measures.  Government employees are being let go to handle the deficit, and now small businesses are suffering from a loss of customers.  The occupiers aren't the reason why he's struggling, it's the government layoffs that are hurting him.

At California Pita, cashier Danny Davood said the eatery initially served as many as 10 campers a day who bought falafels and hummus. But they stopped coming after they found free food elsewhere, he said.

So, it's okay when multi-national corporations pit employees against one another, moving their headquarters from the US to 3rd world nations where the employees are willing to work for $0.10 a day.

But when a customer pits one business against another, HOW DARE THEY!

Look, it sucks for the falafel guys and dry cleaners.  Really, I love hummus and clean clothes.  Really, I do.  But this is the exact definition of a race to the bottom, it just happens to cut both ways at times.

And, as always, it's the little guy who gets trounced.

Nov 21, 11 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
stiletta

FRaC dearheart, I think you're over-reaching deigning yourself "the voice of reason."  This is a dialogue and unrelenting sarcasm fails to carry the spirit of dialogue.  It's just FRaC'ing annoying.

Nov 21, 11 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

A CVS employee said that $730 worth of toiletries, alcohol and first-aid supplies had been stolen from the store over a two-week period in late October. In the report filed Oct. 27 with mall security, the employee said "thefts were occurring because [of] the newly frequent visits from the Occupy L.A. people."

Nov 21, 11 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/11/occupy-los-angeles-crime-doubled.html

Occupy L.A.: Serious crimes have doubled in area, police say
November 18, 2011 |  8:57 am

Serious crimes more than doubled in the area around Occupy Los Angeles during the first 45 days since the protesters began their encampment, Los Angeles Police Department officials said.

From Oct. 1 to Monday, the LAPD reported 24 arrests for crimes including robbery, theft and aggravated assault.

The reporting area is bounded by Temple,  2nd, Hill and Alameda streets.

The LAPD reported a total of 102 arrests compared to 60 during the same 45-day period in 2010.

Of those, many included offenses such as disorderly conduct, drug violations, public drunkenness and lewd acts.

Representatives from Occupy L.A. plan to file a court motion for a temporary restraining order to prevent police from dismantling their encampment around City Hall without providing notice.

Nov 21, 11 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

Look, it sucks for the falafel guys and dry cleaners.  Really, I love hummus and clean clothes.  Really, I do.  But this is the exact definition of a race to the bottom, it just happens to cut both ways at times.

the occupy movement, definitely a 'race to the bottom'.

Nov 21, 11 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

I suppose that it's fair to say that I'm not at all comforted about our national state of affairs, given that two of the most prominent exiled leaders of the Tiananmen Square protests in 1989, Chai Ling and Shen Tong, have joined with Occupy.  Their message seems to be that, it isn't too late for America.  Yet.  But it's gettin' pretty darn close to midnight.

Nov 21, 11 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
stiletta

uck!  Those OWC peoples in LA!  Who do they think they are?  lobbyists and bankers?

Nov 22, 11 12:15 am  · 
 · 

FRaC, you're cherry-picking, as usual.  You haven't a leg to stand on in this argument.

Until we get an ignore button, from here on I'm just ignoring you anyway. Because lately you're just acting like an asshole, and no one needs any more of those.

Nov 22, 11 12:29 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

Serious crimes more than doubled in the area around Occupy Los Angeles during the first 45 days since the protesters began their encampment, Los Angeles Police Department officials said.

From Oct. 1 to Monday, the LAPD reported 24 arrests for crimes including robbery, theft and aggravated assault.

interesting - although article is misleading - it should read "arrests for serious crimes more than doubled in the area around occupy LA"  

which just proves that increased police presence leads to more arrests.  same (or maybe slightly less) amount of crime + drastically more police monitoring area = more arrests.  

I'd be interested in seeing data on the number of reports or calls and if that's the same.

thanks for the article, FRaC!

Nov 22, 11 12:48 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Wouldn't it be lovely if NO ONE showed up to these dick stores? I mean my god, can we have ONE freaking day in this country when people AREN'T trying to buy their way to happiness?!

Amen!  People are so friggin annoying.  Instead of spending their money on cheap Chinese crap how about they use the day off to go to the park or just stay home and relax.  Occupy your home! 

Nov 22, 11 11:10 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

interesting - although article is misleading - it should read "arrests for serious crimes more than doubled in the area around occupy LA"

which just proves that increased police presence leads to more arrests.  same (or maybe slightly less) amount of crime + drastically more police monitoring area = more arrests. 

if a crime occurs in the city and no police are around to arrest the perpetrator, did the crime happen?

Nov 22, 11 11:16 am  · 
 · 
stiletta

...be aware that Friday November 25 is "Buy Nothing Day" as promoted by Adbusters:

http://www.adbusters.org/campaigns/bnd

And here's a list of videos to watch when you occupy your home on Friday (to watch while everyone else is out shopping):  Maxed Out, In Debt We Trust, Walmart:  The High Price of Low Cost, Power and Terror:  Noam Chomsky, Enron:  The Smartest Guys in the Room, What Would Jesus Buy?, and my extra-fave, Manufacturing Consent:  Noam Chomsky and the Media.

Nov 22, 11 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

if a crime occurs in the city and no police are around to arrest the perpetrator, did the crime happen?

yes - these are called unsolved crimes - have you ever filed a police report?  it's reported as a crime even though someone may or may not be arrested.  the article only gives data on arrests - not on crime reports - actually - if you click on the link to "database" in the article it lists the number of reports by week, and at first glance it appears that the actual number of crime reports is statistically the same as it had been before the occupy.  it even looks like crime was higher in June of this year (and it looks like a scary neighborhood to begin with).

Like I said, if they had said the number of reports filed with the police department increased in the area then maybe there would be a correlation, but just giving number of arrests only means that more people have been arrested, not that more crimes have been committed.  oh - and  24 arrests in  350+ crime reports?  good job LAPD.

Nov 22, 11 12:17 pm  · 
 · 

Robert Reich on OWS: "If there's a single core message to the Occupier movement it's that the increasing concentration of income and wealth at the top endangers our democracy...Yet when real people without money assemble to express their dissatisfaction with all this, they're told the First Amendment doesn't apply. Instead, they're treated as public nuisances -- clubbed, pepper-sprayed, thrown out of public parks and evicted from public spaces."

Nov 22, 11 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
stiletta

...and, of course, when people without money assemble and camp outside stores to be the first in on Black Friday, ...aah shucks!  They're just good citizens!

Nov 22, 11 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

Robert Reich on OWS: "If there's a single core message to the Occupier movement it's that the increasing concentration of income and wealth at the top endangers our democracy...Yet when real people without money assemble to express their dissatisfaction with all this, they're told the First Amendment doesn't apply. Instead, they're treated as public nuisances -- clubbed, pepper-sprayed, thrown out of public parks and evicted from public spaces."

only when it's an illegal assembly (and they refuse to stop the illegal behavior)

Nov 23, 11 1:42 am  · 
 · 
stiletta

...like over-leveraging risk to capital...oh wait, that's the banks again.  

Nov 23, 11 1:59 am  · 
 · 

FraC, when the rule of law is not applied equally, the rule of law has been corrupted and no longer applies to anyone.

Nov 23, 11 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

i agree, miles.  that's why these occupoo squatter illegal-assemblers need to be moved out now.  MIC CHECK!! MIC CHECK!!  *spray ze peppa*

Nov 23, 11 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
stiletta

...hmmm.  This enhances the meaning of "run on banks."  If the banks received TARP money, I do believe their restrooms are public.

Nov 23, 11 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

FRaC:

1a. corporate money in politics begets corruption

1b. corruption harms people, the economy and the nation

1c. ergo, Occupy

2a. increasing inequality of opportunity breeds civil discontent

2b. .civil discontent harms people, the economy and the nation

2c. ergo, Occupy

Q.E.D.

Is anyone willing to go on record to say that corporate corruption and increasing inequality isn't a problem in America today?  Or that those things are actually social positives?

Nov 23, 11 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
design

video showing data behind the occupy movement

watch it and weep

Nov 23, 11 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

I AM, THE 0.01%

Nov 23, 11 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
stiletta

...which is why you have the free time to harsh our discussion.

Nov 23, 11 8:08 pm  · 
 · 

FRac, you're a legend in your own mind.

Nov 23, 11 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

To tha young r to tha e tha b to tha e tha l
Never give up just live up
Fed upon America
We be spittin' it up
Rippin' it up
For an even amount in each cup
To my brothers burning bare feet on black top
Whose curled 'neath tha shadows
From tha gaze of tha cops
Whose huntin' for 9 to 5's through factory locks
Is now hunted on this modern day auction block

Mic Check, ha ha ha
I be the anti-myth rhythm rock shocker
Mic Check, ha ha ha ha
I be the anti-myth rhythm rock shocker, what?
Mic Check, ha ha ha
Mic Check, ha ha ha ha

Check check check check the check, oh
packin

Flexin' and mashin'
With complex text
Fast and in a fashion
That snap back necks
Quicker than a fed cash tha company checks
Come with tha fire only Marley could catch
This be tha flame in tha cellar beware
Nameless cold millions gaspin' for air
Those naked and wageless
Now scream within cages
What, they make you pull your shit
Just to get your share, what?

Mic Check, ha ha ha
Mic Check, ha ha ha ha
Mic Check, ha ha ha
Mic Check, ha ha ha ha

Welcome down with the warrior sound, UGH!

With this mic device
I spit nonfiction
Who got tha power
This be my question
Tha mass or tha few in this torn nation?
Tha priest tha book or tha congregation?
Tha politricks who rob and hold down your zone?
Or those who give tha thieves tha key to their homes?
Tha pig who's free to murder one Shucklak
Or survivors who make a move and murder one back?

This mic device
I spit nonfiction
Who got tha power
This be my question
Tha mass or tha few in this torn nation?
Tha priest tha book or tha congregation?
Tha politricks who rob and hold down your zone?
Or those who give tha thieves tha key to their homes?
Tha pig who's free to murder one Shucklak
Or survivors who make a move and murder one back?

Mic Check, ha ha ha
Mic Check, ha ha ha ha
Mic Check, ha ha ha
Mic Check, ha ha ha ha

Nov 23, 11 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

1%TAX!

Nov 23, 11 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
stiletta

...(are you insured?)  Ca-ching!

Nov 24, 11 12:06 am  · 
 · 
stiletta

Nov 24, 11 12:10 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: