Archinect
anchor

PS1 After the Opening?

hotsies

Does anyone have any comments/pictures from the subsequent events, days of the Xefiroterch PS1 show?

Jul 18, 05 11:13 am
JG

I visited PS1 this week. After railing on the intial design my position has not been swayed by a site visit. It's a clunker. A badly detailed clunker at that. Aluminum tubes are left unfinished with shards of metal still clinging on to them, the fiberglass lathing is visible through the red paint, the fabric is turning an unappealing piss stained color, etc... However the collection at PS1 this summer is outstanding, go check it.

Jul 18, 05 12:16 pm  · 
 · 

if you mean that you'd like to see more of the installation beyond what we've already posted in the news, discussions, and the gallery...try flickr

Jul 18, 05 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
Jul 18, 05 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Haha. Nice

Jul 18, 05 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
BOY

Thanks for the link to Flikr.

Jul 19, 05 1:34 am  · 
 · 
djsnoop88

I can see the intention but the execution is quite disappointing. It was a submittal that looked wonderful in 3D. This is the case of beautiful images but in reality..... ick!
And I bet if Hernan had 2 years to develop the scheme, it would have looked great. But I agree with JG, it's badly made. Also, the scale of the structure is too small. You have to be short to enjoy the shade. Also, I do love the red, (not the fiberglass/ foam- it started to fall apart) plastic extruded skeletal benches but it only allowed 4 people to enjoy and not a larger group. Most people ended up sitting in the gravel. Great for cellulite removal but would hate to pick the stones off my butt. I ended up hanging out most of the time at the dance floor. Was not interested in interacting with the sculpture. Not user friendly, that's for sure!

Jul 28, 05 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
Gordon

It is a nonfunctional/nondurable disaster..what a waste of materials and time

Jul 28, 05 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
anza

have to agree with arrarrzzzz
the materiality, scale, execution, idea are too stage-set-like... there is no tectonic quality to the thing... that's why it photographs so much better than it looks...

Jul 28, 05 6:15 pm  · 
 · 

i don't think it was meant to last, but at the same time...it took quite a beating out of the gate. i noticed that several of the proposals (aranda lasch and ww, to name names) had similar materials to the sur thing. i would imagine that foam is going to be banned after this summer.

Jul 28, 05 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
djsnoop88

None of these PS1 projects are meant to last. They are meant to create a communal space for a summer event. Thus, it should hold up, at minimum, for the summer.
And I also miss the wading pool (SHoP) or the misters from last year's project. I think there were misters but they were coming from below (as I was told). I went the second weekend and they were not working.

I can see Hernan's intention with this 'sculpture' (I see it as a sculpture, the scale is way off for an 'event' space) but again, the execution was not able to translate the objective.

Jul 28, 05 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
darkred

I plan on going to see it this weekend, actually...Is there anything left? Anyone have any pictures from the past two weeks?

Jul 28, 05 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
djsnoop88

No pix. Sorry.
Definitely go see the exhibitions. There is some great work showing. As for the 'sculpture', there must be something left. Just duck when you see the exposed tubing and bring your own cushions....
enjoy!

Jul 28, 05 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
hotsies

I saw it last weekend.. Im torn.. i think it should have been beautiful. but its lousy..

I think hernan is probably a great provacatuer and makes nice "forms" but he also seems like a terrible architect..

I say this because he seemed to get all the "artist" parts fine:

shape, colour, proportion to itself, etc

and fail horribly at all the architect parts:

scale, techtonics, performative value, atmosphere, etc....

I think next year they should pick someone whose also interested in being an architect.

But its still fun to see for a minute or two.. so go.

Jul 28, 05 7:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: