Archinect
anchor

CA Boom II

dragonfly

did anyone go to this design show last year? can you tell me a little about it? is it worth going to check out? thanks in advance...

Jul 15, 05 9:28 pm
dragonfly

sorry, forgot to mention it is happening in Santa Monica, CA

Jul 15, 05 9:29 pm  · 
 · 

yes - read this thread

Jul 15, 05 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
sarah123

Went last year, found it quite boring.

Jul 17, 05 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
leander

just wondering, i have been hyping it up at work, but i work in the oc. i guess i am going to walk through the exhibits...but i am broke, so i can't go to the home tours. anyone ever take the train or bus to santa monica from oc?

Jul 17, 05 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

train will take you to downtown LA but then you gotta bus it out to Santa Monica which may take a few hours. hitch a ride if possible or get hooked up with archi-angelenos.

ppl at the firm are somewhat involved. might go. might not.

Jul 18, 05 2:58 am  · 
 · 
Land+Living

We went again this year... this year was actually not even quite as good as last year, and last year wasn't like the greatest thing ever. The expo part was much smaller this year, we got bored pretty quickly. The home tours were hit and miss... some great places, some OK places, and some really questionable ones as well.

We missed all of the speakers conference this year with the exception of the panel we hosted. The hours were shorter, and the home tours took around 4 hours each day.

All that said, the event was MUCH better organized this year. Perhaps next year they can work on the content a bit more. LA really should have a good design show... so we'll continue to support it and offer our constructive criticism to the organizers.

We featured some brief wrap ups of each day and we are now working on churning out write ups of the best from the home tours if you are interested...

Aug 1, 05 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
madcarrot

I agree with Land+Living - the expo was very disappointing (smaller than last year, really lacking in content) but the whole event was much better organized. It cost us $75 to go on the Sunday house tours, which I think is too expensive. Each house tour was originally billed as having 6 houses on it, but we only saw 5. One of the houses, while cool, was still under construction which made me think they were desperate to even get 5 houses included on that tour. Apparently the CaBoom folks promised more than they could provide. I appreciate their efforts but there is still a lot of room for improvement. They have next year's scheduled already so maybe they are planning ahead this time ... I did really enjoy seeing the houses. As with last year, that portion of the event (despite the high cost) made up for what was lacking in the expo part.

Aug 2, 05 11:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: