TED

its official!

Jul 6, 05 7:50 am
Ludwig

54 to 50 votes. Amazing.

Jul 6, 05 8:06 am  · 
 · 
French

Oh well it sucks but hey, knowing the way things are goin' since the referendum, the fact that England is now taking over Europe is mechanically logical. The world's face is changing, so does Europe. It's time to "grow up" as they say. We'll see how things turn out :)

Jul 6, 05 8:27 am  · 
 · 
johndevlin

the British, already swollen with hubris and false pride, will now be insufferable... more beer guzzling in celebration and inappropriate social behaviour which is obnoxious as only the British know how to be...

Jul 6, 05 8:37 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Something tells me things are going to be a bit tense at the summit in Gleneagles today.

Jul 6, 05 8:37 am  · 
 · 
spiderdad

id love to see chirac's face when he sees our tony grinning-- ear to ear....

Jul 6, 05 8:40 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

you mean Tony "Bush's Lapdog" Blair

Jul 6, 05 8:46 am  · 
 · 
TED

i think we all should send mr. chirac some bubble + mash and a cuppa for his tea.....hee hee hee.

Jul 6, 05 8:47 am  · 
 · 
TED

really said it helped blair showing up in singapore - i never really thought bush was supporting it compared to blair / chirac.

Jul 6, 05 8:47 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

no he wasn't, because he's bush, and he sucks.

has the Olympics never been to London? if not then this is fitting. i did enjoy the idea of Chirac gloating in front of Bush though.

5 world class cities competing head to head, what are you going to do?

Jul 6, 05 8:51 am  · 
 · 
harold

Wasn't it SOM's Freedom tower that made New York lost at the last moment?

Jul 6, 05 9:27 am  · 
 · 
TED
stadium fiasco....
Jul 6, 05 9:29 am  · 
 · 
TED
Why London won the Olympic race
Jul 6, 05 9:31 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

Chirac is a cow and should be used for cheese making only.

Jul 6, 05 9:34 am  · 
 · 
French

Hopefully we''l get rid of him in 2007... But it may be worst once he's gone...

Jul 6, 05 9:36 am  · 
 · 
heterarch

london hosted in 1948. in any case, it's a mixed blessing for whichever city 'wins' the bid. still, congrats to london. best wishes to them to make the best of it.
i wouldn't be surprised if the freedom tower helped push aside any opp for new york. then again, nyc would have been tough to deal with in terms of the olympics anyway.

anyone else want to start another olympics thread? what are there, 29? :)

Jul 6, 05 10:10 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Sorry, I just wanted to put Becks where I had access to him all day. It's a nice break from CADing anyway.

Jul 6, 05 10:12 am  · 
 · 
Ludwig
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/video_and_audio/default.stm

video coverage from the bbc

Jul 6, 05 10:13 am  · 
 · 
Ludwig

by the way, with china representing asia staging the next olympics, London 2012 representing europe and South Africa representing africa the 2010 footbal world cup, perhaps NY will have a chance for the 2016 games...or will south america get something one day?

Jul 6, 05 10:17 am  · 
 · 
French

Oh my god I'll be 43 in 2016!

Jul 6, 05 10:30 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

I think we'll have rugby included for this London games. We won't refer to the British Team as Lions though!

[http://www.sportbusiness.com/news/index?region=global&news_item_id=157760]sports[/url]

Jul 6, 05 10:36 am  · 
 · 
whistler

NIce to keep it in the Commonwealth!

Jul 6, 05 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

Ludwig.... rio was at the first bidders this time.... but if u want latin america, what bout olympics at Mexico city '68 n world cups in '70 (pele) and '86 (maradona and the hand of god)

Jul 6, 05 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

No surprise then...On building designs alone, London outdistances rival Paris in the 2012 Olympic bid contest.

link

Jul 6, 05 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
feelandtriple

all i'm saying is i'm moving straight to london when i graduate next spring... was thinking about it anyway but this seals the deal.

Jul 6, 05 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Interesting article about the many elements that contributed to the London win / NYC loss. It is postulated that sentiment towards US played a part, can't say I'm surprised.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8485089/site/newsweek/

Jul 6, 05 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
mr quimper

I love it

“In 2004, Britain’s bookies took more than £10 million in bets on the Athens Olympics,” said Sharpe. “It is safe to say that London in 2012 will become a betting bonanza and we expect up to a ten-fold increase which means punters may well gamble a hundred million pounds.” Hills have opened a book on just what will be happening in the capital when the Olympics get underway in 2012. Punters can bet that Chelsea will be reigning Premiership Champions (5/2), Tony Blair will still be Prime Minster (20/1), Ken Livingstone will be Mayor (50/1); Euro will be the national currency (3/1); an edition of Big Brother will be on air (6/4) and that the Olympics will feature a new sport - Poker (50/1).

Jul 6, 05 5:31 pm  · 
 · 

hope this means they'll finally get the tube and buses sorted.

Jul 6, 05 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

apparently 11,000 jobs may be lost by the businesses that will be uprooted in the east end. talk about your eminent domain.

Jul 7, 05 12:05 am  · 
 · 
Oana S.

i'm afraid it's not neccessarily a good thing to host the olimpics anymore...
i suppose it's not good to host anything at all...
i hate this feeling.

Jul 7, 05 6:55 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: