Dear Abra

IADR

Dear Abra,

how does one start a design revolution?

Jan 23, 06 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
newuser

Dear Abby,
I'm applying to a large firm overseas, and i want to know your ADVICE on how to get in the firm.
I've just finished my undergrad degree and I have a little cash saved up, enough to get me to the next place.
HOW could i do this? Do I have to know somebody? Should I send a pic? Some cool renderings of a blob? what should i do?

Jan 23, 06 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

dear +q.,
hahaha.. haha..
thats the spirit. meng...
when star system collapses, there will be little drinks in the nearby bars where you'll be seeing the fall on not so flat screens.., while watching you'll sometimes send spits onto those fools who are competing to put together the design models of alternative communities on safe planets, just to be the winner and get free drinks..
i hope you understand that you don't necessarily need sun glasses in this carnage..do look, but watch your mass..

Jan 23, 06 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

dear Design Revolution!!
how does one start a design revolution? hmmm.
i would redirect this question to per corell for practicality and combat experience, but if you want more therotical material, definately Rita Novel.
but for abra,
i'd say status quo is where its at..
enjoy your present 'where ever its going' location while you can..once the real revolution starts there will not be a lot of jobs left in architecture. +, when chia houses become available, only the few will will be needed.

Jan 23, 06 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

lol at "i would redirect this question to per corell for 'practicality'"

Jan 24, 06 6:08 am  · 
 · 

dear newuser,
when i was 19 y.o, i went to somewhere no one in my neighborhood gone before. los angeles. when that pan-am flight arrived with me in it, there was no fear or worries in me.
soon i learned to speak english and made some kool friends.
so, you are few big steps ahead of many people by having a craft and diploma and all.
just fuckin' go and survive..

Jan 24, 06 10:33 am  · 
 · 

as you might know 'orhan' is fully trained and licenced by abra to tackle on some simpler issues.

Jan 24, 06 11:01 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

thats right. he's a red rider..

Jan 24, 06 11:14 am  · 
 · 
TED

dear abra -

well things as always are much harder to do than one anticipates and being taught by a few lads that are 20 years my junior and never realized anything but a hard copy print out has its limits....but seriously....

1]if bottom up design is so generative, why do all the blobs look the same? -- why can it only produce blobs?

2]is bottom up equal to missionary position? some how, the must share the same topographic inspiration.

yours always, TED

Jan 24, 06 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

hi TED,
i knew you were gonna raise the anti in archinect with this phd material..
but you know what they say about bottom up design

"A solution looking for a problem!"

and most of the time blobs are so perfect, that they cannot obtain any problems in any other style than missionary and thats their biggest loss in my humle opinion..

are you in your office? what time is it there 12?

Jan 24, 06 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
Reason

Dear Abra,
"New office, how to connect with coworker?" Couldn't get any answer, so I think I should ask for your wisdom.
I found all the principal dress well and in great spirit, and others lower on the ladder, need better dress and shave, stressful, and usually harder to communicate. Where is my future? If I can't connect with coworkers or bosses, I don't see much chances, even if I work harder and do a good job. Please tell me your secrete to connect with others, even though I have different background. Thank you very much.
Reason

Jan 25, 06 12:14 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

dear Reason,
c'mon. stop creating reasons and excuses on how difficult to connect and stuff. i've read your other posts on the subject and i have to complement you on your sincerety. but please take the extra step and catch up with others in your new office. well, first, be yourself and do not assume any stories and opinions about others,yet. seems like you are the one creating an isolated space. give it a more time and loosen up. dress,shave and flirt. flirtation is a great past time in large offices.
did i hear somewhere your boss was a lady?
there are some people around here wouldn't think twice about bumping you out of there and built an empire under those wheather conditions.
forget about the old place boss, he is a looser, new boss winner... if your new boss don't want to talk about anything, turn the radio on to some am station, perhaps a talk show or country music. be brave. if he asks you to turn the radio off, tell him "chut da fuk up".

excuse the language but thats what you have to do..

sincerely reasonable from abby ab ab.

*ab means water in arabic (hint)

Jan 25, 06 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
Reason

Dear Abra,
Thanks for your response. I guess I have to make some effort myself being in a new office. Things get better I have to say. Flirt will be a good way to communicate, I guess, but I'm not good at it, so won't even try. Also you got it wrong, my boss is a man, and I'm a lady, so no shaving!-) My boss truned the radio off when he first got on the car. I start to ask him questions on the long trip yesterday. Like when he become principals, what projects he manages, ext.
I guess a job is similar like a boyfriend, you will always find some good points of your ex, but there's not way back. Everyone has some draw backs. Just need to adjust to it. Thank you for your wisdom.
Reason

Jan 25, 06 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

sorry about the gender thing Reason ..
well, all the better..
have some cleavege and watch the office illuminati buzz around you and never pay for lunch.
but always remember; you're first architect, not a woman architect.
you will adjust. if not, there are tons of places to work and with your experience and freelance gigs, you'll soon be on your own anyway..

Jan 26, 06 12:09 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

Dear Abra

1)What is the minimum span of age required by a person,animal,object,thing,movie to be termed as old ?

a) 23 yrs
b) 100 yrs
c) x+1 yrs
d)Some other undefined unit of time.

2)Im 26 right now and waiting anxiously yet for a few or even a single natural white hair (It shows maturity and seriousness and some chicks love it ! )

my second question is-->why do so many people have a problem with getting "old" ?..

regards,
Nevermore.

Jan 26, 06 5:46 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

dear nevermore;
old is (besides the injury,defect ,desiase) when you start to be assisted by others to do your daily chores.
i've taken care of old people like that. few years later is time to die and it is all over. there is no unit of time. but @60, you're considered an life ezperienced senior and you get a lot of discounts on bus rides and movie theaters.

if you are 26 enjoy it the way you are. aging it is not something you can speed up or pretend. it happens on its own and you are getting older as we speak.

as you get older you change, some grow bitter some grow gracefully. how you look at yourself now have a great influance on what you become later.
people who have big problem of getting old are usually the ones who missed out on a lot of experiences in life. or too narsissistic to accept what is natural.
youth in other hand, is more like a concept;
you can be youthful for the most of your life. it is a blessing and makes your life an exciting one. you get people attracted to you because your not a dead beat and idle, you age gracefully and look good in whatever your age is.
love and humor keeps you youthful. you age real fast, if you hate and take yourself as the most important thing around you, nobody is too important.
you are smart kid and has a lot energy but i noticed you also have some biased opinions border lining in hate. fuck that. i find your humor much more enjoyable, expressive and communicable. work on that and get chicks no problem..

Jan 26, 06 9:19 am  · 
 · 
Anonymous

Dear Abra,

I've gotten offers to move to NYC from Chicago. I am going to move. However, the issue that vexes me is in regards to what type of office to work for. My current options are three. One large well known firm with offices around the world, great pay and benefits. One mid sized boutique firm good pay and benefits. And one small firm where the pay and benefits wouldn't be the same as the large firm. I find myself torn as there is an inversely proportional relationship between the artistic and monetary benefits offered. What would Abra do? And moving back to LA is not an option for now.

Jan 26, 06 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

dear Anonymous,

large firm.
go with the large firm. looks like you have already appeared with small, botique, creative but hungry bands.
now you have a recording contract with a large co. you don't know it is going to a flop but in the mean time looks like they are gonna issue clean underwares and gourmet coffee with beautiful looking people.
it is time for you the check out and experience the big leauges. you can anonymously hang out until they discover they've been paying you for the insurgent activities on the side. that might take looong time and by then, you have nice pad, and enough to start your own with all the professional necessities taken care off. i think, eventually thats what you'd want to do (never forget that final destination address)
in other words;
you are young architect (not a student) and you are going to ny, you've two options to stay in new york; 1, some shit hole or a loft in faraway train stop or 2, stay in a manhattan (and i will add brooklyn for personal reasons) pad of your own and get new york.
you do the math.
stay away from boutiques, in those, only the owners get to fuck the airplaine..

Jan 26, 06 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
Anonymous

I hear ya, and keeping my eye on the final destination of having my own crew I'd have to agree...but that'd be back in LA. Thanx for the voice of reason.

Jan 26, 06 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
wood_

Dear abra, what are the stats as far as age and gender on this forum?

Jan 27, 06 11:11 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell
stay away from boutiques, in those, only the owners get to fuck the airplaine

Dear abra: Did you mean fuck on the airplane or fuck the airplane? I want to do one, but not the other. Problem is I also want to be a boutique firm myself someday: how do I know if my airplane desire is the proper action towards achieving this goal?

Best to you as always Sir Abra, lb

Jan 27, 06 11:22 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

dear Superglue, wo. great name to begin with..
abra is mah name and stats are mah game;

from, high schoolers (one got accepted to cornell) to older, super bright, talented and dedicated registered voters, illegal aliens, domestic and international literati.

super bright, talented and dedicated women, men and double agents, with all imaginable sexual preferences covered.

*we also have beautiful whores in all categories.

Jan 27, 06 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

i meant,
"super bright, talented and dedicated high schoolers (one got accepted to cornell) to older, super bright, talented and dedicated registered voters, illegal aliens, domestic and international literati."

Jan 27, 06 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

dear liberty bell,
well for the former you are in luck, bc i saw a lifestyle news item on tv not long ago, that you can achieve the pleasure in the air for a 75hundred dollars from burbank,ca airport with a queen size acommidations.

if you say f the p, that means you are fearless in the air and you ride the plane.

all this was inspired by a near de facto winner in the great per corell t-shirt contest on which 'a godzilla' was 'riding' the plane.

you have already got your growing boutique, now start saving the 75. you deserve the best always.

Jan 27, 06 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

Dear abra,
What's the best way to congratulate the newest member of archinect's crew?
from the high desert,
el jeffe

Jan 27, 06 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

dear jeffe,
best way to do it is to look towards watermelon mountains and have a drink and say "el jeffe rules"..
;)

Jan 27, 06 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
AP

dear abra,

I will be starting a blog in the near future, and was curious...

what qualities make for a good blog? what gets you there, and what keeps your interest? I have my favorites, all for different reasons. I ask you, in particular, because I would like not only to appeal to students and young professionals, but also the seasoned veterans of our profession and the community in general. thanks, and congrats,

Aaron

Jan 27, 06 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Ah yes! I see now! Congrats, abra!!!

Jan 27, 06 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

dear Aaron,
imho, a good architecture blog is not biased. i see architecture web sites these days that look from the same angle to everything. and the same architects appear in their front pages. such as hadid, libskind, gehry, kolhaas etc. it is like, did you see her kissing him? type of thing.
in architecture, old can't do without the young and vice versa.
so make your blog about architecture above all.
i think older people among all the other stuff, would be interested if their experience and knowledge is respected and tapped somehow.
but don't make it like 'pop's corner',
good luck. i am sure you'll let us know.

Jan 28, 06 9:56 am  · 
 · 
AP

dear abra,

I sustained a paper cut while flipping through Content last night.
What does this mean?

Feb 28, 06 8:32 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

ouch. i hate paper cuts. thats why i don't touch magazines much. i know content is way dangerous for brilliant minds but if you must, wear some gloves to thumb thru. also rumored is the discovery of bird flu on the content pages. thats why there is much protest among its readers..

Feb 28, 06 10:15 am  · 
 · 
wood_

Dear Abra
How can I find a connection with my stubborn potential mate? I've tried over two and a half years, but there has been absolutely no growth in the relationship.

Mar 7, 06 2:41 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

dear superglue,
sometimes 2.5 years is not a long enough time see any growth. maybe you two should try different things like traveling and such. and sometimes we don't see the growth in front of us.

and, don't forget there is always an eject button which does wonders in terms of growth.

good luck and i hope you guys find the connection that you might've always had.
answer yourself first, what would be a growing relationship and tell that to your partner.
oh, dont try to 'direct' everything..

Mar 7, 06 11:43 am  · 
 · 

Dear Abra,

How can I balance an interest in research with a desire to design, get licensed, and pay back my student loans?

May 9, 06 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

dear countdown,
take my advice seriously.

PERSISTENCE
tenacity, determination, doggedness, resolve, diligence, resolution, importunity, insistence, obstinacy, stubbornness, tirelessness, endurance, steadfastness, purpose, dedication, devotion, drive, grit, pushiness

1. quality of persisting: the quality of continuing steadily despite problems or difficulties

2. act of persisting: the action of somebody who persists with something

3. long continuance of something: continuance of an effect after its cause has ceased or been removed

4. zoology resilience of organism: the ability of a living organism to resist being disturbed or altered

May 9, 06 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Dear Abra ...

What goes on in the mind of Lindsay Lohan?

May 9, 06 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

dear smoke,
googled her first,
Results 91 - 100 of about 16,900,000 for Lindsay Lohan. (0.12 seconds)
later on, i called linlo and head-bang-asked the question-in- question.

"what goes thru yer mind?"

"nothin' but god" she said.

thats all i can tell. go figure. she works a lot. like all the time. not easy not easy. twice. smoke smoke.

May 9, 06 7:09 pm  · 
 · 

yow abra,
how comes you are so f...ing cool! Is there a formula and are you willing to share?? And any advice in making an architectural worthy wedding proposal that doesn't suck?

May 9, 06 8:23 pm  · 
 · 

cheers, abra.

May 9, 06 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

dear architechnophilia, sorry, all the marriage proposals suck. i don't know how to be cool about it. personally i got married 1.92 times without even asking.
save the drama and send her a note to meet you at the city hall at a certain time for the paperwork, if you must. thats what i'll do when the time comes.

May 9, 06 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
earendil

Dear abra,
what to give a great boyfriend for his 24th birthday? I was thinking of modelling his room, but I have neither time nor money...

May 11, 06 1:01 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

Dear Abra

I've been having some trouble keeping up with things lately. I'm really short on energy. I've been running, only 10-15 mi per week but am also doing a lot of side projects and am losing the motivation. I have to start marathon training soon, and am worried that adding that on top of my job, fixing up my landlords house among other things will be too much. I don't want to go back to the grad school days of just accepting that I must be exhausted all the time. Do you have any suggestions as to how I can increase my energy/power?

Jun 8, 06 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Acraba....Do Architects ever go Postal with building officials?

Jun 8, 06 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

dear earendil, sorry for missing your boyfriends birthday. i hope you guys did it all night...

dear le bossman,
when it comes to energy/power all my suggestions are drug related. but i would also suggest you tune it down a little bit and don't do more than you can handle as a rule. you know all this anyway. also, sex is a big pill too. stress drains a lot of energy.

dear snooker,
sure, i've. but be careful. if you are gonna go postal make sure you mail it to right place and don't grab any sharp objects. you must be very sure about your case as well.

note: i am in aia convention press room computers where i am writing these responses so you can imagine i am little in a hurry. by the way i have put short cut to archinect all desk tops in the press room...

Jun 8, 06 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

So, here is our dear abra, covering the AIA convention, hobnobbing with the big mahoffs, positioning to overhear nearby gossip-filled conversations, tweaking the press computers to link to Archinect (love it!), taking pseudo-phonecalls from psuedo-clients, and saturating yourself with material for future installments of abracadabra FAIA, yet you still have time to answer the questions we lowly minions pose to you.

No response needed dear abra, just a thank you for your hard work. (And I can't wait to hear the gossip when the spectacle is through...)

Jun 8, 06 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
badass japanese cookie

dear abra

should i be a kindergarten teacher or an architect?

Jun 9, 06 12:02 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

dear lateral,
i still remember my elementary school teacher's name. as a matter of fact i was just thinking about her yesterday in 20,000 people architect's convention for some reason, what a coincidence...
if you already done the hard work (schoolin') for architecture, i'd say stay with it. it sure will not have the satisfaction of raising human beings but it has some other perks if you stick with it.

Jun 9, 06 10:50 am  · 
 · 
Auguste Perret

Dear abra,

I made some plans with a girl this weekend and have some important meetings all next week (either 11am or 2pm). Both will interfere with my World Cup viewing. Clearly my priorities were out of wack when I scheduled these events. How can I fix this?

Jun 9, 06 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

my boss is down there right now

Jun 9, 06 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

dear abra,

i have a friend who just emailed me saying that her ex-boyfriend just got out of jail a few days ago and he called her saying that he needs a place to sleep in the meantime while he gets his shit together to fly back to home...my friend is feeling guilty because she told him to go away...and she's now worried that he's out in the streets sleeping, wandering, possibly getting killed....plus the guy's mom keeps calling my friend to ask what's up with her son...they've had a fucked up past...the guy use to just leave her at home while he goes out all night long with his friends...eventually he cheated on her...

she eventually left him and flew back home...he followed wanting to work things out with her...until he saw that there wasn't any hope so he decided to give up and leave...

he comes around once again a few years later proposing marriage to my friend...she accepts the marriage proposal (what the fuck?!)...arranges the wedding...got her wedding invitations and all...it was ready to go...no turning back..

until...he disappears without a trace for a weekend and my friend was flipping out wondering what the hell happened...calling his cell phone and his mom's cell phone a gang of times...no one knew where he was...

so, she cancels the wedding...and she hears that he's out on the streets doing crack and went to jail...

we'll he finally got out a few days ago and was trying to "holla" at my friend...

what should she do?...i'd like to be able to help her with an advice but i don't have a clue what to do in something like this...my hunch is to tell her to just help the guy out...but i don't know

Jun 9, 06 4:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: