Archinect
anchor

Top firms in South Florida?

cmdace18

Hey guys,

Curious as to what people on this website from experience or prior knowledge might rank the firms in south florida (i.e. Miami, Ft Lauderdale, West Palm, etc.)

Rankings might include quality of work, awards, design creativity, or even personal experience one might have in the firms.
Salary might be included in this as well.

I'm looking to possibly work in S. Florida. Thanks.

Jun 6, 05 12:24 am
honorthebrick

Some of the bigger firms in the Miami area:

Arquitectonica
Bermello Ajamil & Partners
Bea International
Fullerton Diaz
RTKL
Robert M. Swedroe
Spillis Candela
Zyzcovich

The AIAMiami.com site has a list of almost all the biggest firms here. I currently work in Miami and know the market pretty well with about 5 years of experience here. Email me if you want and I might be able to point you in the right direction depending on what are your priorities. Money, type of work, big name firm etc...But with the big condo boom almost every firm has a few condos in the works.

Jun 6, 05 1:01 am  · 
 · 
SullivanJ

If you are looking for work in that area. I hope you have at least a few years experience. I know it is a hard place to find entry level positions. I lived in central FL but I had friends that worked in south FL. They didn't really like all the condo work, but it all depends on the type of firm you choose to work for.

Jun 6, 05 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
Barrett

Perkins & Will have a Miami location, as well as HOK

Jun 7, 05 9:29 am  · 
 · 
J3

Yes to all of the above...not really sure about HOK (heard their office is just to support a specific project)

Add: Leo A Daly, Swanke Hayden Conell, HNTB...(although they are not really a design firm)

Although I would like to stay with my current employer (RTKL), sometimes transfers are not possible (open possitions... etc.) In that case, I have a few back-up firms in my sights. My guts tell me not to move (housing Bubble is ripe for a massive explossion in S.FL) but family calls... My advice is to stick with those firms diversified enough (more than one market sector) to survive the condo boom.

Jun 7, 05 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
levasser

HOK's office is just to support the new Courthouse they're finshing up with ARQ. ARQ, by the way, is hiring.

Jun 7, 05 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
cmdace18

woud anyone like to add to this list? maybe firms in ft laud, boca and west palm? thanks.

Nov 29, 05 7:29 am  · 
 · 

a few smaller firms that do some interesting stuff...

rizo carreno & partners link

they just split with...

mateu architecture link

i saw roney mateu give a lecture at UF about 5-6 years ago and he seemed like a really nice guy

Nov 29, 05 9:10 am  · 
 · 
AP

mateu's cool - from my brief experience he's down to earth and friendly...kinda funny too.

He [and some other fla architects] accompanied our class for a couple of weeks last year in Vicenza, Italy.
They were there for an AIA continuing education course given by one of our professors, Robert McCarter, on the work of Carlo Scarpa.

Nov 29, 05 9:42 am  · 
 · 
AP

mateu's cool - from my brief experience he's down to earth and friendly...kinda funny too.

He [and some other fla architects] accompanied our class for a couple of weeks last year in Vicenza, Italy.
They were there for an AIA continuing education course given by one of our professors, Robert McCarter, on the work of Carlo Scarpa.

Nov 29, 05 9:48 am  · 
 · 
AP

oops

Nov 29, 05 10:10 am  · 
 · 
J3

wow, topic revived!
Yes, those 2 firms are doing pretty solid work. I have to also throw out there my good friend Carlos Touzet: http://www.touzetstudio.com/
I'm sure there are plenty of firms north of Miami, but I don't kow of many...we've (RTKL) been doing some work with Bermello Ajamil who just opened (at least officially) their Ft.Lauderdale office.

Nov 29, 05 10:36 am  · 
 · 
cmdace18

excellent.

Ive got interviews lined up so for:

Bemello Ajamil (BA Partners)
Sandy Babcock (SB architects)
JT Architects (Boca Raton)

Still going strong .. thank for the information guys.
Every place that has been listed here I've forward my resume and cover letter. Ive gotten a very positive response from all the firms.

In the works -

Retzsch Lanao Caycedo Architects (Boca Raton) - need to send portfolio

some others ....

Dec 2, 05 1:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: