Archinect
anchor

2012 M.Arch Applicants, Commiserate Here!

FederallyFunded

@byen....yeah I need to chill...sry :))

Mar 8, 12 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
enmod

did anyone hear from cornell today?!

Mar 8, 12 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
arch16

@jordans99 | leathamJ | whyARCH?

i also got accepted to WSU 3+ March as a WA resident. received a small envelope. on my zzusis page it still hasn't updated as 'accepted'. waiting to hear from UO and UW still. Goodluck everyone!

Mar 8, 12 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
arch16

@leathamJ
oh and also, when i got the information packet from WSU back in fall 2011, it said number of graduate students studying at the college of arch and u/p: 35.

Mar 8, 12 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
jpugarte1

Has anyone noticed that MIT app site is down? I've trying to enter the site the whole day, and this message keeps appearing:

An error occurred: 500 INTERNAL SERVER ERROR

An internal server error occurred. In addition, no error.lasso file was found.

I think that maybe the site is down because they application statuses (does that word exist?) are being updated. 

I hope so, I'm really anxious about MIT results. 

Mar 8, 12 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
Jord99

Arch16, Did your package arrive on monday?

Mar 8, 12 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
tschural

@corgyn Sorry for the late response! I did receive the same - the admission letter, 2 of their magazines+1 newsletter. Why did they even spend so much money on overnight Fedex shipment just for magazines???? Anyways, in the email I got from the dean, he says in the next few weeks I should be getting info from the graduate school + funding contract. I talked today to a current student and she told me that after I receive my financial package TO NEGOTIATE. It is the perfect time before making a final decision. I am getting anxious but at the same time this same student told me that Princeton and Yale have the best financial packages. Another user npots told me he/she got a full fellowship stated in the admission letter. Did you receive anything like that? I just had an assistanship mentioned but not a fellowship? Anyways, as of right now, here on Archinect I know of you, corgyn, and npots being accepted to Princeton. I wish more people would post so that we know what is going on that I am not aware of.

Mar 8, 12 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
leathamj

@arch16 @jordans99 @whyARCH?

What's everyone coming from?  I'm finishing my Bachelor or Interior Design here.  @arch16 - Thanks, I never got any information packet.  Just to clarify though, is that 35 graduate students per year?  I'm simply curious about what class sizes could be like and it's sort of fun to know the acceptance rate of a school you get into.

Mar 8, 12 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
dev09

I was just notified of my acceptance from UVA about a half hour ago! I got a phone call from an unknown number so it was a complete surprise. More information should be coming in the mail soon.

Mar 8, 12 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
pillow

@"The Co-op Guy"

Cornell sends about 70 acceptance letters for about 20 students to come study in their M.Arch program. I'm not sure how many people apply for this program, but I have a feeling they do not get as many applicants as GSD, Princeton, Yale, GSAPP and MIT because the graduate program lacks in defining an identity that competes with that of the previously listed schools. This is my very own perception of things. What do you guys think?

Mar 8, 12 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
byen01

@dev09,

Arg! I hate you for not having to wait 'til the 14th like the rest of us!

p.s. congrats, they have a great M.Arch program!

Mar 8, 12 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
dev09

@byen01

thanks! good luck, i hope you get favorable results!

Mar 8, 12 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
arch16

@jordans99- i got my acceptance letter and card to send back to the school, on monday. did you receive more than that? just to clarify since you said 'package'..

@leathamj- bachelor in visual arts with a minor in arch. i assume it's 35 students per year. but that could also be for the WHOLE of the school of arch and urban planning and not just architecture graduate students. 

Mar 8, 12 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
SN_Fan

@enmod 

I didnt receive anything from Cornell.

I dont quite understand what Cornell is doing, sending several Rej letters yesterday and then nothing today.

Mar 8, 12 9:26 pm  · 
 · 

@dev09 congratulations! was it for the 3 year or 2 year M. Arch @ UVA? the grad cafe results are saying 3 year. ... hopefully more phone calls tomorrow.... checking my phone like crazy. UVa has been my #1 choice... ivy league quality at 1/2 the price

Mar 8, 12 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
dev09

@Lance Smith

thank you!  yes, it was for the 3 year M.Arch program. i hope you get in as well and be sure to keep your phone close by. my cellphone listed it as an unknown number and it was after 6:00 pm.

Mar 8, 12 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

just got into uva 2 yr m arch

Mar 9, 12 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
VMarie

Applying for MArch I

In: WashU in STL

Out: YSOA, GSD

Pending: Cornell and UT Austin

My stats are BA from Yale in Architectural Design; GPA 3.44; GRE V: 540 Q: 710 W: 4.5

I'm super bummed about not getting into YSOA. During undergrad at Yale, I worked side by side with the graduate students in the architecture program in the same building. YSOA has phenomenal facilities, opportunities, network of alumni, amazing faculty and is the best academic program in my opinion. Congratulations to everyone who got in! Bummed I didn't get in, but still confident that I'll end up at a school that is  a perfect fit for me.

Mar 9, 12 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
VMarie

Does anyone know the dates for Open House for admitted students for either Cornell or UT Austin? I haven't received decisions yet, but wanted to know that information for potential scheduling. 

Mar 9, 12 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
enmod

@ VMarie

I'm not sure when Cornell open house is. I tried to look up online but couldn't find it. I called yesterday and they said they will email the decisions out this week. So hopefully today we will know about Cornell?!

Mar 9, 12 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
AA23

@VMarie ..

UTSOA hasn't set a date for the open house for admitted students yet ... RSVP by 23rd March .. the date will be announced later ... they say its coming up soon .

Mar 9, 12 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
medium

Has anyone heard anything from GSAPP? From looking at grad cafe, it seems they notified people much earlier last year.

Mar 9, 12 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
AA23

Does anyone know whats the deal with ScI-ARC having a summer deadline for M.Arch admissions .. May 1 2012 . !!

Didn't they get enough applications in dec2011 or do they do this every year .. 

How many students they admit in M.Arch 1 ,,

I am worried .. 

Mar 9, 12 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
VMarie

Awesome! Thanks for the info @aman and @enmod. Hopefully it'll be good news!

Mar 9, 12 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
SkiSteve

I figured I should post.
Applying for March 3yr. I applied to a lot of places to have a good mix of choices.
In: Utah, UNLV, ASU, New School of Arch-SD.
Waiting: UBC, Berkeley, UCLA, U Washington, Pratt, Parsons
WL at UC Denver.
As of right now I would choose ASU, but it is hella expensive (Ut resident).  Worried about the costs at the others too. Sigh

Anyone defer their admission, move to another state to try and get residency before they enroll?

Mar 9, 12 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
Buff03

@aman - Did UT give you any type of deadline to commit so they could reserve your spot?

Thanks.

Mar 9, 12 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
smwong

@aman, I think that deadline is for current M.Arch students wishing to enroll in summer classes. I could be wrong, but when I spoke to the admissions officer last week, she said that the admissions committee was currently deliberating and decisions should be out around the 15th. I believe from the tour I took, it was stated that they take about 35-45 students a year.

Mar 9, 12 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

haze - gsapp emailed me saying april 1st

Mar 9, 12 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
medium

@5986986909

Thanks, I'll try to be patient, though that does seem later than I would have expected...would be helpful simply to know, either way.

Mar 9, 12 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

yeah i know, the wait has been undesirable. i'm sure it will come earlier; april 1st was probably a "no later than" date.

Mar 9, 12 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
jsnosh88

For those asking about UTSOA, the open house for admitted students is scheduled for March 30 and they require a decision to be made by April 15. 

Mar 9, 12 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
AA23

@smwong No, the website clearly states the deadline is for M.Arch applications ... !! Anyway.. I emailed sci-arc yesterday ... They said the results are out " during the week of March 26th " .

@buff03 Yeah even I was told to make a decision by April 15th
Mar 9, 12 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
_rococo_

@pillow

I'm sure my losing factor had to be my portfolio, which is pretty good but not THE most amazing thing that they will have ever seen.  My GPA is a 4.00, and my GRE scores were 162 V / 168 Q / 4.5 AW so those were probably fine.  I know I had good letters of rec and a good essay...... though I suppose it would have been nice to have letters of rec from faculty actually working at the GSD or YSOA like some people on here... (how does that happen?! bah)

My portfolio: http://issuu.com/kd489/docs/kimberly_daul_portfolio

Again, not the fanciest thing in the world, but at least it got me in at Wash U and UCLA.  Thoughts???

Mar 9, 12 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
technophobia

Letters from faculty at GSD probably come from career discovery programs, not sure about YSOA

Mar 9, 12 5:13 pm  · 
 · 

@ SkiSteve... I have no idea how it works for people out of state trying to get in state tuition...  but I had a good friend (texas resident) who go in-state tuition in california by signing some agreement saying he would stay in california for at least a few years post graduation. 

Also, at my undergrad (U. Houston) internationals and our-of-stateers could get in-state tuition if they simply worked somewhere within the university (bookstore, etc.). So you get paid for a small shit job, but you also get reduced tuition. No idea what its like for ASU... which is a nice school (i visited a few years back)... but there must be some options available. 

Mar 9, 12 5:28 pm  · 
 · 

@kd489.... if i were you... I would eliminate the first project and bring in more drawings, model pics, diagrams, process, etc from all the other projects. Or at the very least delete the perspective section drawing of the airplane hanger on page 6. A simple box with off the shelf trusses will not help you getting into the GSD or YSOA. 

Some of your stuff looks really good, except you only allow a few pages per project. Or even one page for 2 projects. Whats up with that? Show me more! Pick your best work, and dedicate a good section of your folio towards it. One project in my folio was 18 pages (which I know is way overkill, but it was all process drawings and creating a story).  Was the Paris Market project an entire semester? You're only showing about a weeks worth of work here. Show me the entire semester! Your hand drawings are awesome! Lets see more of it with the studio projects. 

Overall... I would suggest that you bring more out. And dont include anything that is extremely standard general contracting (those off the shelf trusses!). 

Mar 9, 12 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
Anxiety

@kd489

Since you don't have to worry about GPA and GRE holding you back, you can concentrate on polishing your portfolio and making connections.

UCLA AUD is underrated; you should definitely look into it before deciding whether or not you want to wait another year for a chance at GSD and YSOA.

Mar 9, 12 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
Buff03

@jsnosh88 and aman, thanks. Got into Houston so far but UT Austin is my first choice so if I dont get in straight up hoping for at least a wait list and it's nice to get an idea of what the timeline will be based on the open house and commit date you all have provided

Mar 9, 12 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
nimz

Hey everyone, is anyone planning to go to the RSA open house later this month?

Mar 9, 12 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
_rococo_

@Anxiety

Yea I'm definitely still considering UCLA.  Besides, though I've never been to LA, I really love film and think it would be interesting to mix that in with my architectural studies to see what weird sort of hybrid art forms would result.

Mar 9, 12 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
_rococo_

@James Petty

Thanks for the feedback. It's tough to find that balance of quantity vs. conciseness for portfolio submissions.  

What do people do for 2nd-time-round letters of recommendation?  Ask the same teachers to resubmit their letters, plus perhaps a new employer??? 

Mar 9, 12 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
smwong

Just got an unofficial acceptance from UC Berkeley. Official emails will be sent by the dean.

Results so far:

In: GSD, UC Berkeley, CCA

Out: Yale

Pending: SCI-Arc, Cal Poly Pomona

Mar 9, 12 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
batman

^ unofficial...? so are they out? still waiting on ucBerk ucLA

did you get an acceptance email?

Mar 9, 12 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
soali

nimz
Mar 9, 12 6:34 pm
Hey everyone, is anyone planning to go to the RSA open house later this month?

Anyone?

Mar 9, 12 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
whyARCH?

@arch16, leathamj, jordans99:

My undergrad is in finance. I also got the letter and card only, I think that is all they send out. And I remember reading about the 35 students and I am not sure either if that is for the entire grad school, or the architecture program, I'd love to know admission numbers as well. I'm also waiting on UW. Best of luck, maybe see you at WSU if UW is a no-go for us.

Mar 9, 12 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
byen01

@kd489,

Re: LoRs, always pick those who would be able to represent you in the strongest light (up to your judgment as to whether you think a new employer can write a stronger LoR than your previous writers). Also, if you do decide to apply again and you use the same LoR writers as this round, make sure to let them know what's changed, what progress you've made, etc.

Mar 9, 12 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
abraxass

eeep~ was just rejected from the third of four schools to which i applied. do any accepted march 3+ applicants have any suggestions for improving my portfolio for next year? i'm assuming that's what knocked me out, as i come from a science/philosophy background, and couldn't pull together many architecture-related projects. any information about summer programs or online resources would be really appreciated. thanks guys.

Mar 9, 12 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
smwong

@batman

Yes, I got an email. The unofficial acceptance was sent out by the chair of graduate advisors, Jill Stoner. 

I am surprised and delighted to have been accepted to Berkeley. I started undergrad there as an architecture major, but switched to anthropology to gain a more social perspective on design.

Mar 9, 12 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
batman

congrats on the ucb acceptance! really want to go there as its one of my top choices.

scared that if i didnt get an email does that mean im out....

Mar 9, 12 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
Jord99

@arch16, leathamj, Why Arch

I was accepted to WSU today. I was told the letters for students came in two waves. My BG is in public relations and advertising, but I took an intro course at University of Texas, and a few short intro art courses. GPA is a 3.3, GRE is a 1280. Depending on what other offers I get, I like the idea of attending WSU, they were very responsive to any questions I had at all times. The only other school that responded with such alacrity to my questions is Clemson--which I unfortunately have not heard from. 

Mar 9, 12 8:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: