Archinect
anchor

2012 M.Arch Applicants, Commiserate Here!

agbc

@ BIG+

Yes I think I will... I am not sure 100% though,  it's a long way from Italy... I'll let you know!

Mar 7, 12 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
BIG+

@ agbc

That's awesome that you're in Italy!  I'm in San Francisco, which is not quite as far I must say.  Let us know if you decide to join on the 30th -- you will have Archinect friends there no doubt.

Mar 7, 12 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
agbc

@ BIG+

All right then, hope to see you!

Mar 7, 12 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
dan.o.c.

anyone knows when GSAPP results come out?

Mar 7, 12 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
enmod

anyone else heard from cornell?

Mar 7, 12 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
pillow

no, waiting anxiously!

Mar 7, 12 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
enmod

seems like the results are coming out on gradcafe for cornell

Mar 7, 12 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
imajine

Wait listed at Princeton :( Do I have any hopes or should I move on?

Mar 7, 12 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
pillow

@ imagine

from the results people have been posting online, a lot of people admitted at princeton are also admitted at a number of other schools, and they a number will choose those other schools over princeton. don't loose your hopes!

Mar 7, 12 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
pillow

some people have been posting their results for the GSAPP on the grad cafe. it says they heard over the phone. any idea which number they called?

Mar 7, 12 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
J.Quick

@pillow 

I called the admissions office and they told me they cannot give decisions out over the phone, so I'm not sure that those gradcafe postings are legitimate. The woman I spoke with in the admissions office said decisions will be sent via email as well as the application website.

Mar 7, 12 3:26 pm  · 
 · 

GSAPP is annoying me. I called and they said we'd all know by April 1st.

really?

I think i'm going to take GSD +17k anyway

seems like most other universities aren't dragging their feet....

Mar 7, 12 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
pillow

@J.Quick

thanks. now i'm pretty sure those gradcafe posts are fake. 

Mar 7, 12 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
J.Quick

@[email protected]

I think thats some stock response. If you look at their notifications from last year, it looks like the bulk of them came around this time, if not a couple of days earlier. I'd say they'll probably be in any day now.

Mar 7, 12 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
batman

maybe those grad cafe are not fake at all then

Mar 7, 12 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
rubyruby

strange: one of the two GSAPP entries on gradcafe was deleted....

Mar 7, 12 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
RZTZ

yale!

except reading the words "Class of 2015" took a bit of shine off. Wish somebody told me when I was 17 that 4+2 undergrad programs are actually 4+3 if you're lucky enough to get into a good school.

also worried when I'm 35 I will regret getting the M.arch, expensive in both time and money, but yale is so tempting and also might regret not getting the degree while I'm young. Relatively high drop-out rates in M.arch degrees. Big decision ahead.....ah.

Mar 7, 12 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
_rococo_

Yale is out.  :(

What's everyone's theory on deferring and trying for Yale or the GSD a second time?  I'd hate to get rejected again and feel like I wasted more money and time on that.  

I don't think my application would be THAT much stronger 6 months from now.  And 2 years is a while to wait.  Maybe I should just go to grad school where I'm accepted now! ?

Mar 7, 12 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
Anxiety

@kd489

You actually have 9 months (~300 days) until the next deadline, which is a LOT of time if you're willing to make the effort.

Waitlisted to Yale, more anxiety for me T_T

Mar 7, 12 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
pillow

@kd489

it's a tough bet. depends how much you think you can improve. what kind of GRE scores did you submit? how much time did you spend on your portfolio? do you see any major flaw into your personal statement? sometimes looking at the documents of admitted applicants is helpful in understanding what your application may lack.

if you decide to try again, it's not lost time! it's time spend improving yourself.

Mar 7, 12 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
RandomMistakes

Got a letter/packet from UCLA today and got accepted to the M.Arch 1 first professional program.  Looks like they send their decision out to the permanent address you listed, not your current temporary address, no email, and the website decision status still says nothing, so check your mail!
It says "...we are recommending to the Graduate Division that you be admitted to the Master of Architecture program..." so I guess it is still unofficial.

Accepted: UCLA, USC
Still Waiting: SCI-Arc, UT Austin

Mar 7, 12 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
technophobia

@kd489, don't hang on a waitlist.

If you decide to try again, like I did, you want to spend that time improving your portfolio and maybe your GRE scores. Teach yourself more graphic design or take a class. It makes a huge difference in your portfolio. Case in point: my portfolio, project for project, is almost the same as the one I had last year, but Yale accepted me this time around. My GPA, GRE scores, and essay were either the same or didn't improve all that much.

Mar 7, 12 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
technophobia

@RandomMistakes, short version: you're in.

Long version: they say "recommending you to be admitted" because UCLA does not have its own "school of architecture" (same with Princeton, I believe). Architecture at UCLA is contained within a department as a part of the "School of Arts and Architecture", which is the entity that actually sends out admissions decisions so the Architecture and Urban Design department can't officially tell you you're admitted.

Mar 7, 12 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
shawnswisher

@Anxiety i got wait-listed at Yale as well. Any thoughts on what to do as a next step? I've heard some people say that sending an email to the admissions team to reaffirm your interest in the program can help. Or is there something else to do other than wait?

Mar 7, 12 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
enmod

does anyone know what about to cornell?! i saw some rejects on gradcafe but i never got an email??? :(

Mar 7, 12 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
pillow

@enmod

never got an email either. we're in for a longer wait. 

Mar 7, 12 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
Anxiety

@shawnswisher

I'm on the same boat as you. I don't know anyone who's been waitlisted.

Expect the worst, hope for the best.

Mar 7, 12 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
tschural

@npats In the letterfrom yesterday I got info about an assistanship but today I got a personal email from Stan Allen telling me that "Princeton is the best fit for you" , etc, etc. and they sent me an overnight Fedex package weighing 1 lb with info and financial contract. The email was long and very personal. I heard that Princeton and Yale have the best financial packages for international students. (Still waiting on MIT and UPenn.)

@pillow - I don't think that those people who got into Princeton will go to other places. From reading in the forums there are more accepted people in GSD and Yale than Princeton...I got into Taubman as well and they are telling me the list of visiting profs - 80% of whom come from Princeton. Princeton is a very small school and those accepted there are probably not usually accepted in the rest of the schools.

Mar 7, 12 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
RandomWorks

@yascott: I just registered!

Mar 7, 12 8:33 pm  · 
 · 

no way the GSAPP postings are real on grad cafe... they always come out in a huge heap!

either way it made my heart skip a few beats

Mar 7, 12 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

for future applicants to note: apply to princeton & yale. they give the best financial aid packages to students. why wasn't this info available for this year's applicants on the last year's thread??

Mar 7, 12 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

anyone applying to CCNY?

Mar 8, 12 12:04 am  · 
 · 
technophobia

sshhh! it's a secret! lol ah well, so long as we're spilling the beans, Rice and MIT also have generous aid packages, with both frequently offering full rides if not close to it.

Mar 8, 12 12:07 am  · 
 · 

I saw something on archinet a while back that said Yale's endowment is (was) really hurting and decided to apply to MIT instead....

Mar 8, 12 12:16 am  · 
 · 
byen01

MIT is also really generous with supplementing travel-related costs for studios. I've also heard the UMich tends to throw $$ at people, but that could be just a myth?

Mar 8, 12 12:29 am  · 
 · 

hahaha... the myths that are created on archinet. I wonder! I still haven't gotten my complete fin aid packages from anyone yet cuz I screwed up my FAFSA and had to submit a correction, but I sure hope those two myths are true

Mar 8, 12 1:06 am  · 
 · 
jason_sf

@morgan

I also applied to CCNY at the strong urging of a former professor and recommender, though I cannot say that I know a whole lot about the program. Couldn't get much info from people other than a a friend who said his friend was told not to apply there, but could give no specific reason why. I was pleasantly surprised by the student work shown on the website, and it is by far the most financially feasible school that I have applied to. Hoping to get in and making a visit to the school. Anyone else know anything about CCNY???

Mar 8, 12 1:50 am  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

@jason good luck! :)

Mar 8, 12 5:28 am  · 
 · 
SN_Fan

Some of my friends got REJ from Cornell, but I never got an Email.

@RandomMistakes, Are you from CA?

Mar 8, 12 5:50 am  · 
 · 
RandomWorks

@Morgan: I was accepted to the urban design program at CCNY. I haven't visited the school yet, but hope to in the next week or two.The big selling point for me is Michael Sorkin!

Mar 8, 12 6:28 am  · 
 · 
sasazuka

@jason_sf

I am in at CCNY and at least in NY people speak highly of it. It is really hard to get info on it (always silence on archinect) and, at least last year, there was no open house event. I'm trying to decide between Yale and CCNY: prestige and debt or nameless school that is cheap enough to not even have to take out loans for. I would go speak with someone there to get a better idea if I were you...unfortunately I can't because I live abroad!

what did the person who recommended CCNY say about the program?

Mar 8, 12 6:43 am  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

@randomworks that's awesome! are you going to live on campus? i heard the dorm is expensive.. 

Mar 8, 12 7:57 am  · 
 · 
RandomMistakes

@SN_Fan No, I am from Colorado. I just graduated in December with a Bachelor of Environmental Design from CU Boulder.

Mar 8, 12 9:59 am  · 
 · 
"The Co-op Guy"

Does anyone know what the acceptances or program size of Cornell is like? I know the M.Arch is fairly young, so I really have no idea what the size of the program is like or how many people are applying. Any ideas? So far in at 2 of 4, waiting for 3 more, so I'm not too concerned.

Mar 8, 12 11:52 am  · 
 · 
J.Quick

@"The Co-op Guy"

I went to their grad open house last year, and they told us the program was only 13 3 year students and about 7 or 8 AP students every year. Pretty small.

Mar 8, 12 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
shigolhodori

Harvard GSD or Yale YSOA for MArch II?

What are the pros and cons of these two schools? and what would you prefer if you had to choose one?

Anyone? comments will be apprecaited.

Thank you.

Mar 8, 12 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
c|g*

in regards to choosing between grad schools...for instance between a CCNY and Yale...it really comes down to your specific end-game. Of course the quality of a program's facilities, faculty, and endowments matter, along with each school's particular philosophies and strong points, but the real 'dinger' is, "what do you want from a master's degree?"

If your goal is to work in an office, then you may want to put more weight on the amount of debt you may have to take on for each program. As far as the profession is concerned, having a master's degree does not mean you will be making more money. You just want to choose a good, solid school that maybe has a nice network of people for you to make connections with... but that isn't going to put you under considerable financial strain for the next 30 years. However, if your goal is to teach at the university level...then pedigree is everything and it's worth paying for a name and particular experience. 

I only offer this as my personal perspective on the matter, of course... but I have been working in an office for 6+ years now and teaching at a university (adjunct) for 3. Between my experience in each field (professional and academic) and after much thought and research on the matter, this is the soundest advice I can offer. 

Mar 8, 12 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
corgyn

@tschural - what was in your Fedex package from Princeton?  Mine only had a copy of the acceptance letter and books/pamphlets of student work.

Mar 8, 12 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
FederallyFunded

24/m/ BS ARCH/ BA ECON from univ. of MD Gpa. 3.43 Applied only to Upenn and GSD right out of undergrad. Got in to the GSD for m.arch I with decent funding.... Waiting for Upenn.... Is it worth waiting or should just get ready for the GSD??

Mar 8, 12 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
byen01

@FederallyFunded, are you really that impatient?! You don't even have to get back to GSD re: your decision until mid-April, and UPenn is going to release its decision in less than a week. Take (at least one) chill pill.

Mar 8, 12 3:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: