Archinect
anchor

2012 M.Arch Applicants, Commiserate Here!

aDesigns

@Baran

I recommend you visit NC State and take a look for yourself.

Apr 9, 12 11:25 am  · 
 · 
ngcorliss

I am still waiting for UCLA!!!!! They told me they are waiting for the university admission office to process and could do nothing else. And they said that I should receive a mail or something by Wednesday or... I should have an alternative plan..... Yea I really think so if that's the case ... The whole thing is impossible .

Apr 9, 12 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
k2886

lol...i have given up!!! 

Apr 9, 12 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
baran

@SitterlyDesigns

Thank you for your help!

It is almost impossible for me to visit any school in US at this time since I'm not american and I don't live there:(

I am also not  familiar with american architecture schools...what is your idea about Buffalo or IIT?

Apr 9, 12 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
Jesus Camacho

@anxiety    Very frustrating. I do have a backup plan and actually my back up is my first choice but I simply wanted to get a response. Figured that if I wasn't admitted the rejection letter wouldn't take so long. 

Apr 9, 12 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
duomo

@jsnosh88: Did you ever make a Texas/Washington call? 

Did anyone else make a call between UTSOA and UW CBE?

Apr 11, 12 1:15 am  · 
 · 
jsnosh88

@duomo: very tough decision but I decided UTSOA over UW CBE.  I went to UT's open house and loved it, the students all seemed very happy, and I am really drawn to their residency program.  I also get the feeling UT has a bit more of a national presence than UW, and honestly, I don't want to spend the next few years in rain.  The debate is now UTSOA vs UBC SALA, as UBC is far less costly considering I'm not a Texas resident.  How about you?

Apr 11, 12 11:47 am  · 
 · 
soali

http://now.msn.com/now/0411-ucla-admissions-mistake.aspx

I guess it's not only AUD that's unorganized...

Apr 11, 12 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
aDesigns

@Baran

Personally, I would opt for NC State over your other options.

Apr 12, 12 7:53 am  · 
 · 
duomo

@jsnosh88

Also, leaning UT. Love the program, less than thrilled with Austin. Seattle's the opposite; love the city, find some fault with M.Arch. Coming down to a wire on the call, but have confidence that it's tough to pick incorrectly.

UBC's a nice program as well, although they didn't make my final cut. Kind of a synthesis of the aforementioned two, I think. They do things right up there, but I personally think UT's a cut above.

Apr 13, 12 1:03 am  · 
 · 
Starkitect

Just got my UBC letter. Rejected! :-(

Apr 15, 12 10:41 am  · 
 · 
sofia k

Just got an acceptance from UCLA M.Arch.II, finally. 

Apr 16, 12 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
k2886

i still have not got anything..was it by email or did you go check your application status?

Apr 16, 12 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
sofia k

k2886 - i got an email with an acceptance letter as an attachment. It's really too bad they are so disorganized and especially because many of the other deadlines were yesterday and today. 

Apr 16, 12 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
k2886

in for  UCLA MARCH 2..finally!!

Apr 17, 12 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
miesvanderrohe

did anyone just get accepted to PennDesign? I just got an email saying I just got accepted off the wait list, and another person at my current school did as well. 

Apr 18, 12 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
k2886

@Raskladushka did you receive any funding info in your letter? i think they still need to send out admissions packages

Apr 19, 12 5:20 am  · 
 · 
Starkitect

Just got news on the TAMU offer. Would love to hear from anyone who could tell me which of the three would be most reputable for M.ARCH - IIT- Chicago, UIUC - Urbana Champaign, Texas A&M?

Also i heard the M.Arch at TAMU focus is on health - care design only. Is this true?

I am mostly inclined towards UIUC architecture (being one of the 'big ten' and focus on practical design) but then IIT is in Chicago...much better for architectural exposure?

Apr 29, 12 8:05 am  · 
 · 
jamesherm

I don't know anything about UIUC, but IIT is a much stronger program than A&M. If you want to do healthcare design, A&M is the place to go. Beyond that, nearly all the work I've seen from their graduates has been really bland and artless. It seems like a program that is practical to a fault. IIT, on the other hand, seems more interested in making beautiful things and instilling a strong technical foundation.

Apr 29, 12 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
ankitdarda

Hello 

I got admission confirmation from NJIT 

Please help me with final decision..

should I join or not????

Thanks!!

Apr 30, 12 5:50 am  · 
 · 
sofia k

k2886 -

Yes, I received a fellowship. I've been trying to contact them (email and phone) the last few days because I haven't been able to submit my decision online. The website is not updated with my acceptance and so there's no place to submit. No word from anyone. I've decided to go elsewhere so I guess I will make one more attempt this week and give up. Good luck!

May 1, 12 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
Starkitect

Mr. Minimal

Thanks for you input. Are u studying/ have studied in TAMU or any other programs I mentioned? Also, in terms of future placements and stuff, will it affect if I do it from TAMU or IIT? Also, the TAMU program looks more flexible at least online. Although, they are not that responsive. I have been trying to get in touch with the admissions coordinator and not really heard back much. lets see.

May 1, 12 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
NKDYL

Heard from UofT today, got admitted. Weird thing is that I was rejected a month ago, has anyone had this happen to them? However, I am ecstatic and can't wait to start!

May 1, 12 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
k2886

Hi,

Can anyone enlighten me about UCLA M.ARCH 2 compared to other march2 courses in  stressing on computation and digital arcitecture

- what is exactly the course structure?

- do you build tangible structures, i have been scanning through the course structure and this course content looks based more on theory and conceptualization while other computational courses focus on structures and fabrication

- how useful has the course been in practice after you acquired your degree.

Please do help me out  on this,it would make my decisions on choosing schools much easier.

May 13, 12 3:02 am  · 
 · 
kavvyr

@S.DNA were you accepted with advanced standing at UofT? I was told by a friend that they don't offer that any more, and everyone starts from year 1 now. Is that true?

May 13, 12 6:49 am  · 
 · 
nehag

HEY IS ANYONE APPLYING TO UCL'S Ms in Adaptive Architecture and Computation programme???

May 15, 12 9:39 pm  · 
 · 

Ahhh the end of another stressful application year. Congratulations to everyone and your future in wonderful field of architecture!

Jul 2, 12 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

I'm thinking of applying to grad school next year.. however, i'm worried my marks aren't good enough.  I went to a Canadian university and my average is 75%.  Would anyone know what that is in GPA equivalent?  Some conversion tables tell me 3.6, while some tell me its 2.0 or so xDD

Jul 4, 12 7:16 am  · 
 · 
dionysus

depends on the school your applying to.  they should have a chart for you to convert percentages/letters to GPAs.  It isn't based on the average, either, but a per-course conversion based on credit and then summed up and converted.  Often, they suggest you not convert and just give them the transcript.  

anyways, gluck fellow canadian.  study up GREs!

Jul 4, 12 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

Dionysus: that sounds hella confusing but thanks.. what school did you attend for undergrad?  you had mentioned Institute of Architecture in Vienna..  Are you going there?

Jul 5, 12 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
jouibrunner

27 / M / BArch/ US / Currently working in the field (4 yrs. experience in Architecture and Landscaping), Interned for 3+ yrs during undergrad.

- Applying to: GSD, GSAPP, UCLA, UC Berkeley and perhaps U of Oregon

- GRE: Just registered for early September

- GPA: 3.6

- Portfolio: I have one but will probably start over and update

- Recommendation letters: I have 3 people in mind (1 mentor/employer/professor, 1employer/professor/undergrad advisor, and 1 art professor). Hoping that together they'll give a well rounded opinion of me as a designer, student, and artist.

- Apps: You know the drill. 

Anxious. Lot's of great talent out there. Hope I make it into one of these institutions!

Aug 9, 12 2:28 am  · 
 · 
kishorereddyd

hai  ,iam kishore .i want to design a portfolio for M ARCH 3.5years
admission but the problem is iam not a architecture student and want
to apply for cornell, so could anyone suggest me what to present . I have
ideas but dont no any softwares to design buildings. could you suggest
me any softwares like revit aechitecture or any thing else.please tell
me what to put in the portfolio.

Aug 16, 12 12:59 am  · 
 · 
Paul A. Zamorano

Any M Arch 1 portfolios with limited architecture background?

Aug 21, 12 11:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: