Archinect
anchor

2012 M.Arch Applicants, Commiserate Here!

Ankita Chachra

Anyone who got into U C Berkeley  for Masters in Urban Design? 

Mar 5, 12 12:24 am  · 
 · 
Vanillian

This is a slightly altered version of the portfolio submitted to GSAPP.

http://issuu.com/stevenchappell/docs/portfolio

· 

out @ GSD my head hurts -_-

· 
batman

i want to know how many Chinese foreigners GSD accepted. If any of you guys get accepted and go to GSD, please report this.

I'm protesting.

Mar 5, 12 1:14 am  · 
 · 
Tee002

i want to know how many Chinese foreigners GSD accepted. If any of you guys get accepted and go to GSD, please report this.

I'm protesting.
At least they're going to pay with real money. So, should be glad abt. it because U.S. economy will be better in future from these students' tuition.

Mar 5, 12 2:16 am  · 
 · 
joker

batman, are you john by any chance?

Mar 5, 12 2:29 am  · 
 · 
Anxiety

who got into GSD from UCLA AUD. please post

2 that I know.

Mar 5, 12 2:32 am  · 
 · 
batman

[qoute]i want to know how many Chinese foreigners GSD accepted. If any of you guys get accepted and go to GSD, please report this.

I'm protesting.

At least they're going to pay with real money. So, should be glad abt. it because U.S. economy will be better in future from these students' tuition.[/quote]

how will that help the US economy in general? it only helps the university.

first and foremost this forum is wack to the shits. one of the worst forum layouts in the forum history. it's almost as bad as when the first concept of forum started in the men's bathroom stalls.

[quote]who got into GSD from UCLA AUD. please post

2 that I know. [/quote]

shits. wondering if there's more.

Mar 5, 12 2:52 am  · 
 · 
AA23

Batman .. You with your down in the dumps nation cannot afford to protest .. You really shouldn't comment on foreigners with your country's welfare largely dependant on the same .. Take your frustration elsewhere buddy ..

Mar 5, 12 3:00 am  · 
 · 
AA23

University is a part of the nation isn't it ..?!

Mar 5, 12 3:08 am  · 
 · 
Anxiety

I'm guessing Yale releases tomorrow...

Mar 5, 12 3:11 am  · 
 · 
joker

batman, it helps by moving money into the US as opposed to out of it as when we import manufactured goods. The GSD, a private school, is as part of the US economy as any corporation.

As for this forum's layout, yes, it could use some work development-wise, but unless you'd like to volunteer your services as a web developer, I doubt it needs to change right this instant.

Also, isn't it a little disingenuous to be asking a lot about other people's details (stats, portfolios, etc.) without showing us yours? I read through this thread and noticed you ask a lot of questions but won't provide very many answers.

Mar 5, 12 3:25 am  · 
 · 
mrkl28

hey guys, do any of you know roughly when UBC lets their applicants know of their results and how they come about doing so?

just got accepted into CCA (3 year)

australian applicant, background in landscape architecture from the university of melbourne.

Mar 5, 12 4:49 am  · 
 · 
k2886

umm when is princeton releasing its results?

Mar 5, 12 5:04 am  · 
 · 
AA23

Hey .. anyone here heard from Sci-arc for M.Arch 1 ...? They said they have started notifying people ! .... (AAAaaAAaaaaa.. !!)

Mar 5, 12 7:28 am  · 
 · 
k2886

i think posting on these forums is more nerve wrecking than simply waiting for result! :D

Mar 5, 12 7:33 am  · 
 · 
Karimi

I don't get why these schools insist on snail-mail notifications. Its 2012 for god's sake.

Mar 5, 12 8:42 am  · 
 · 
Tee002

Hola Batman,
Chill mate. I’m just joking. I know any form of rejection sucks. I’ve been to both side of the fence about the minority, the foreigner things. Architecture schools are fascinated by the exotic things, but I don’t think minority/majority is that much of a factor any more. Whenever someone say he/she got into a school because of the shade of skin color, I feel really irritating. It is not 1950s when colored people were rare specimen in architecture schools. Anyway, best of luck to your admission process.

Mar 5, 12 9:02 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Batman, your recent posts are incredibly insensitive and slightly racist. You've hawked this forum for the last year or two seemingly scrounging every ounce of detail you can about other applicants while keeping your personal info completely hidden.

If you're getting rejected from schools, theres probably a reason. Sorry to be so harsh, but you've clearly got this expectation into your head that you alone absolutely deserve to be accepted to these schools, and haven't considered that maybe there are better fish in the pond from the admission committee's point of view.

I'd also like to point out that at my current school, the Asian students have incredible dedication to their studies and consistently turn out work that is at the top of the class. THAT is the most important part of the school experience: actually producing quality work. If they are doing this, the color of skin or place of origin has no bearing whatsoever.

Protest all you want; I doubt GSD (or whatever school) will care. They have more than enough excellent applicants who will just reapply next year.

Mar 5, 12 9:46 am  · 
 · 
otterson@ku.edu

Raskladushka,

I heard M.Arch II was like 32 in last years incoming group.

are you part of the new group?

Mar 5, 12 10:19 am  · 
 · 
byen01

@mrkl28, if last year's release date was any indication (which in fact really doesn't say much, seeing as the GSD released a whole week earlier than I had anticipated), you should hope to hear back from UBC by this week, possibly this Wed? I haven't received any emails from UBC re: post dates though. Young padawan, wait, you shall.

Mar 5, 12 10:26 am  · 
 · 
sofia k

otterson, thanks for the info. Yes, I'm in for M.Arch.II. Still waiting for a few other responses, but am already leaning in the GSD direction... will depend largely on funds, which are still TBD. 

Mar 5, 12 10:53 am  · 
 · 
shawnswisher

Had an interview with Berkeley for the Studio One program and got into Michigan - off to a good start so far. However, I'm still waiting on both Yale and Princeton.

Anyone have ideas on when Yale and Princeton will be releasing results?

Mar 5, 12 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
zhiping

@batman I am from China and working in an architecture firm in Boston. As I know from a current GSD student that there are at least 2 in MArch I, 3 in MArch II and 4 Chinese students in MAUD accepted this year. Last year there are about 10 total from China get in GSD. Correct me if anyone get more accurate number. Compared with the size of GSD, it is not a huge cut. This year I did apply for GSD but got rejected from MDesS in Technology which only accepted 1 Chinese student last year. I thought I would be the one this year, but GSD just gave me a crappy weekend.

I don't know if you want to reapply next year. And I might share the same feeling about being rejected from the school you really like and then you thought it was reachable. Maybe you and I can upload our portfolio here and let people comment on or provide suggestions to improve.

My portfolio for GSD MDesS in Technology http://issuu.com/zhiping/docs/portfolio2012

Mar 5, 12 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
batman

^ thanks for your input. Nice portfolio too, love that kind of work.I will upload my portfolio soon when I get back from a small business trip.

and sorry for the rejection. I will get this out of the way that GSD wasn't my first choice, but I thought I had a fairly good shot. I'm not going to waste another year to try to aim for it again. I'm still waiting for other schools which I am happy to attend as well. Just a little butt hurt and ego demolished.

^ 10 is a lot considering they only accept 30+ something students. I only brought up the "protesting" part because one faculty from this one institution(which I shall not disclose) told me they accept more Chinese students because they can pay the full amount. no fin.aid means "stacks on stacks on stacks on stacks on stacks" for them. Yea, I know they're good but I have seen fellow comrades with astounding app profiles (not just my judgement but faculty as well) who didn't get in and it just completely stumps me.  It just to me looks like its happening throughout many of the prestigious institutions in the US. I'm happy that these rich kids have the opportunity to study in these awesome institutions, but assuming they pick these students because of better financial incomes, is plain unfair.

^ I do web-development as a side job so I don't mind helping out with this forum. I won't volunteer, but I can "intern". Just private message me.

@benc, it's not a racist comment. it's all shits and giggles.

anyways...

Good luck and hope you guys get to hear good news from your remaining schools!

Mar 5, 12 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
enmod

i think rice results are out! just got an email!

Mar 5, 12 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
byen01

@batman, schools aren't picking students who are in a better financial situation; rather, those accepted students who are concerned about the high tuition rate are choosing financial stability over going to the GSD/schools that usu. don't give out too much fin. aid. They could easily take out student loans to attend the GSD, but are choosing not to - don't blame the schools.

Also, a professor telling you that a school accepts more int'l students because they're more apt to forking over cash doesn't mean squat; it's not like they have a quota to fill.

Finally, of course plenty of talented prospective students are rejected - it's part of the difficulty with whittling down a pool, but perhaps those who have been accepted have stronger design potential, vs. strong existing design skills.

Mar 5, 12 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
soali

enmod: option 1, 2 or 3?

Mar 5, 12 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
enmod

@soali

option1

Mar 5, 12 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
BIG+

FYI, UT Austin's results are out!  I was notified of acceptance via email.

Mar 5, 12 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
BIG+

@ chachra

I got into Berkeley's Master of Urban Design program, too!  Do you know if there is an open house?  Haven't gotten the official package yet, just an email from the program chair.  You?

Mar 5, 12 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
emyen

hm, has anyone heard any Berkeley's Master of Architecture results?

I agree with k2886... this is quite nerve-wracking following these posts!

Mar 5, 12 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
otterson@ku.edu

important to note that GSD allows you to take landscape studios, or urban design studios in place of arch. studios to fulfill an architecture degree. I think only one actual "architecture" studio is required for M.Arch 2 if you take the others

Mar 5, 12 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
leathamj

I just got accepted to Washington State 3+ program which I'm excited about.  I know it's not one of the elite schools usually talked about on here but I was curious if anyone had a good guess on about how many people they accept?

Mar 5, 12 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
Karimi

Just got an invite to sci-arch's open house, anyone know if thats a tentative acceptance ? I haven't received anything in the mail.

Mar 5, 12 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
robertdsmith

yeah i just got that invite too.  I looked at the flyer and it seems like a public event though, so i'm trying not to get my hopes up about it.  Boo for False Hope!!!

Mar 5, 12 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
smwong

Hi, I just got the email for the SCI-Arc open house as well. I called the admissions office, and they said that it's a public event open to everyone.

Mar 5, 12 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
jpugarte1

I called SCI-Arc a few days ago, and I was told that admitted students will be notified during last week of march. However, applicants who have been accepted into other programs and have to make a decision before that date, could get their answer a little earlier if they ask to.

Mar 5, 12 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
ARKISUCK

Have everyone received a email from Yale for following up their facebook page? I got it a few weeks a go but just found it today... is that sent for short-list applicants or just a general information? 

Mar 5, 12 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
technophobia

I think it's for everyone. Haven't heard of anyone not receiving that email.

Mar 5, 12 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
RandomMistakes

Just got accepted to USC M.Arch first professional 2 year program with $15,000/year scholarship.

Still waiting on UCLA, UT Austin, and SCI-Arc.
I keep hearing that UT and UCLA have already sent out letters, which is bumming me out...

Called SCI-Arc and they said the open house is for everyone and admission decisions go out at the end of March.

Mar 5, 12 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
duchenne

The Yale facebook "like" is for everyone currently attending/who has attended the school along with prospective applicants. I graduated from undergrad there two years ago and received it as well.

Mar 5, 12 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
RandomWorks

I just received a package in the mail informing me that I was accepted into the MDesS program at the GSD.

Mar 5, 12 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
ARKISUCK

@RandomWorks

Didn't you get the email first?

Mar 5, 12 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
RandomWorks

@gsd110: No email, just a big package in the mailbox when I got home from work tonight. I've been checking my email obsessively and they pulled a fast one.

Mar 5, 12 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
Anxiety

I got my UCLA letter today.

Mar 5, 12 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
Jord99

@leathamJ, I applied to WSU among a few others on the WC...Haven't heard anything yet. Did you receive an e-mail or physical letter in the mail. Thanks.

Mar 5, 12 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
yascott

@Raskladushka

Just got my GSD packet with financial info today.

@RandomWorks

Wow, you must have been screaming, man! My throat is still hoarse from last Thursday.

Guys, I would absolutely love to meet/chat with you and the other GSD-ers. I just signed up hoping to PM you, but apparently this forum is indeed "wack to the shits" (hi batman).

Maybe we could meet on FB?

To everyone else still waiting on results: good luck, I'm rooting for you!

-Scott

Mar 5, 12 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
k2886

i see that UCLA has released all 3yr ones? or have any of you heard from the suprastudio as well...the 1.5 yr one??

Mar 5, 12 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
Anxiety

I got my letter for M. Arch I. Different professors are in charge of M. Arch II Suprastudio, so I wouldn't worry so much... yet.

Mar 5, 12 9:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: