Archinect
anchor

my august adventure

stephanie

anyone want to show me (a well mannered, semi-hipster, fun-loving freshly turned 25 year old) a good time (read: architecture/museums/a bed/a shower) in chicago from 3:45pm on august 1 to 5:35pm on august 2?

otherwise i'm somehow figuring it out solo.

Mar 11, 05 5:30 pm
Anonymous

Is this between flights, requiring a speedy return to the airport to get you out on time?

Mar 11, 05 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

3.45 arrival
4.00 get on orange/blue line depending on which airport
4.45 arrive in state of illinois bldg. terminal in loop
5.00 cab arrives at lodging
5.20 go to atheneum museum of architecture and industrial design (if open at that hour)
6.30 check out MCA
7.15 Head over to Japonais for dinner
8.45 Take Brown line up to Lincoln Park for after dinner drinks at the Black Duck
10.00 Cab it to Wicker Park for Gallery Show possibly featuring body mutilation
11.30 - decide weather or not to drink the night away
9.00 am - if your up, nows the time to get on one of those tourist river/lake architecture cruises - well worth it
11.00 - go to museum of science and industry
2.30 - go to Pilsen art galleries
rest of day drive around and check out the city on way back to airport

Mar 11, 05 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i think you should spend your time at carol's pub for some good country music and pbr.4659north clark if u take evil's advice and decide to drink the night away. cash money pleeze

Mar 12, 05 7:06 am  · 
 · 
siggers

well, I'd love to, but I live in Scotland, alas. Enjoy the trip though.

Mar 12, 05 7:31 am  · 
 · 
siggers

p.s. lol at the "semi-hipster" part, very cute :-)

Mar 12, 05 7:32 am  · 
 · 
ge-ril-a

stephanie.

I have a friend (architect) who owns a gallery in evanston? chicago.

i will forward him the post and see if he is interested.

i ahvent managed to get over and see him bu he is always inviting me.

Will let you know.

Mar 12, 05 9:06 am  · 
 · 
ichweiB

why is gino's not on anyone's list?

Mar 12, 05 9:10 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

jb what is the gallery i used to live in rogers park...

Mar 12, 05 9:32 am  · 
 · 
inkwray

what is a "semi-hipster?"
i'm confused.
best place in chicago to get a cup: Atomix

Mar 12, 05 11:47 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

evil platypus, your itinerary sounds pretty spot on.
thanks for the responses,
here's my story...
good friend of mine is getting married in new haven august 6. my birthday is july 31. i've always wanted to take the train across the country and what better way to spend your 25th birthday than riding a train across the northern united states, right? so i'm planning this cross country train trip from seattle to new york. chicago is on the way, i've never been there, and i know it is a short stop, but i just want a little taste of it.

for some reason i was motivated to start planning yesterday.

there are a lot of reasons for soliciting archinect with this somewhat odd request, but, it would just be nice to have some sort of guidance/company, after having been on the train for 45 hours and arriving in a city that you have little experience in...

Mar 12, 05 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
inkwray

hey my birthdays july 24th
i might be overseas though, i'm graduating in may.
chicagos an awesome town to be in over the summer.. too much to do.

Mar 12, 05 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

when is taste?

Mar 12, 05 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
TED

s--

are you certain we will still have a train in august?

with so little time for your visit stay in the central area and skip the north shore suburbs and do things around the neighborhood your staying in; all the neigborhoods have great locals, check out the 'chicago reader on line' for whats on -- and even if the 'taste' isnt on there are continuous 'free' music fest every night of the week on the lake front. it take about 1 hour or so by train to get to evanston and if your were here for more than a day theres lots of great places to venture out [farsnworth house is great fun] but there is so much to do just in walking distance your best to get good value out of the 24 hours your here.

Mar 12, 05 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

might want to hit the architecture foundation also. i like the atwood cafe. but i am a bourgie.

Mar 12, 05 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

You really need a year to see this city - Its a spread out Manhatten, and a concentrated LA with the small town feel of anytown America - truely the "city of neighborhoods". Anyone else in Chi got any gallery suggestions? They come and go so fast - theres a great one in east Pilsen at 18th and the Ryan on the southeast corner - highly advised. Always something lowbrow and fresh.

Mar 12, 05 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

theres a nice gallery i go to on michigan avenue... its called the art institute.

Mar 12, 05 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
ether

galleries..

mm
bodybuilder
more

best pizza
luigi
piece
uno

areas to walk.
bucktown/wicker park
old town
loop
lincoln park

Mar 13, 05 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i'm bumping this because i'm killing time, and doing some more planning...my plans still stand. but now i'm wondering if anybody can give me links to weekly newspapers, or any other signifigant cultural press for the metropolitain areas of chicago and anywhere that isn't too far out of the way between new haven, ct and new york city.

more specifically, i am planning a trip and want to find out the possibility of seeing some live music and/or events.
also, for boise there are a number of internet message boards that hipster geeks haunt to discuss the general scene, is anyone aware of anything similar, or are we just weird here?

Jun 15, 05 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
TED

some chi town fest!!

more Chitown event details here!

22nd Annual Chicago Blues Festival June 9-12
25th Annual Taste of Chicago June 24-July 4

15th Annual Chicago Country Music Festival June 25-26
13th Annual Race to the Taste June 26
6th Annual Chicago Outdoor Film Festival July 12-Aug 23 (Tues. Only in Butler Field)
12th Annual Mayor's Cup Youth Soccer Tournament July 23-24
48th Annual Venetian Night July 30
47th Annual Chicago Air and Water Show August 20-21

17th Annual Viva! Chicago Latin Music Festival August 27-28
27th Annual Chicago Jazz Festival September 1-4
9th Annual Celtic Fest Chicago September 17-18

and the grant park music details for august 1-2 [sorry nothing on -- only plays wed, fri, sat - if you want OUTDOOR FREE music you need to changed your travel plans - lots of stuff inside.....]

Jun 15, 05 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
Artful Dodger

Chicago Reader (chicagoreader.com) is a solid newspaper. Lots of events listings, reviews, and some good writers working for them.

Schubas Tavern (schubas.com) or the Double Door (doubledoor.com) usually have some small but fantasic acts lined up.

Jun 15, 05 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i know, monday night kind of sucks, but, i don't have a very flexible schedule as far as where i can fit in chicagoland....:(
thanks for the info dudes.
i checked the calendar at the empty bottle, am bummed that smog is playing on the 4th...

Jun 15, 05 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

wish i could help you out steph but i live in the sticks now and all this quiet would drive you insane in the membrane.

Jun 15, 05 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

too bad vado.
i don't have time for sticks anyway.

Jun 15, 05 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

im a stones throw from chitown these days

Jun 15, 05 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

stephanie... just go rent Ferris Bueller's Day Off. That should about do it.

Jun 15, 05 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i was hoping that some yale people would speak up, or that this thread would go somewhere besides chicago...despite my inital post.

i feel OK with chicago. (but am still open to free/cheap sleeping ideas/offers)

new haven? where you at?

Jun 15, 05 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i have cheap offers but they arent the kind you have in mind...

Jun 15, 05 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i accidentally purchased my ticket out of chicago for aug 3.
i seem to have an extra day now.

Jul 8, 05 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
melivt

new haven blows.
just stay in nyc or go to boston.
or for laughs, check out yale's a-school

Jul 8, 05 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

new haven is going to be rad because i am going to a very good friend's wedding.

Jul 8, 05 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i am coming to idaho and need a place to crash. i throw the cash around but i snore.

Jul 8, 05 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
NSJ

Stephanie,

You'll love the train ride. I've done it twice before and both times were mesmerizing. I brorught a ton of reading material and music and sketchbooks but spent the majority of the time just staring out the window.

In fact, my wife and I (and baby) are heading in the opposite direction on the same train the week before (in town the afternoon of Friday the 22nd) but we only have about 5 hours in Chicago.

If you don't mind I'll ask a related question. Of the things mentioned above, what would be the one thing not to miss within walking distance of the train station? The Atheneum website says they are closed and doesn't give an address.

Oh, and where can we get a cheap and tasty meal in the area?

Jul 8, 05 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

yeah, what's up with the Atheneum?
closed?

Jul 14, 05 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
jpalmer

you are more than welcome to stop in Des Moines, but i don't know why you would

Jul 14, 05 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i don't think the train stops there.

Jul 14, 05 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
jpalmer

or if you can make it to new york by next friday.
oh well have a nice trip

Jul 14, 05 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

like two ships in the night....
sorry palmer.

Jul 14, 05 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i leave tomorrow!
last call if anyone wants to meet up with ether and i for a drink tuesday in chicago, or hang out in new york on the 7th.

Jul 29, 05 11:06 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: