Archinect
anchor

what should I see in London / elsewhere in the UK

joek

what are the latest things to see in the UK, finished over the last year. I am going back soon for a short time only and would hate to miss something special.

Mar 8, 05 2:54 am
P.B.

hmm maybe the swiss-re building by Foster (30 st-mary axe)

Mar 8, 05 7:08 am  · 
 · 
bigness

nothing, go somewhere sunny.

hackney empire looks good (impact font as a solid part of a facade!)

but no, seriously, spend your ticket money better...

Mar 8, 05 8:22 am  · 
 · 
joek

haha, its home so it makes sense to go back everyone once in a while.

Mar 8, 05 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
pazdon

there's a cool pedestrian bridge called corkscrew bridge or something that screws itself back and forth across a canal to allow for water and foot traffic. actually, it's probably cooler to read about on the internet than to actually see.

the best thing I saw in london was a small town on the way to stonehenge (which is now surrounded by highways and was probably not worth it). i stopped in this town and walked around and looked at the ancient homes and churches, watched the old people in pubs and listened to the brook running through town. the sense of place was so thick it was suffocating. that's hard to replicate. much more memorable than the london eye.

Mar 9, 05 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
sluggo

Okay, now I'm going to London...and Dover to help my buddy swim across the channel...so any suggestions of things not be missed--architectural or otherwise--would be appreciated.

Aug 9, 05 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
boca

laban school of contemporary dance by H&M
http://www.laban.org/
i would go at dusk so that you are able to experience it at night.
it is about 10-15 from central london. worth the trip

also future system's lord's media centre

Aug 9, 05 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
bryan boyer

I'll mention the Soane museum so that it doesn't get lost amidst all the more recent projects. Not to be missed-- definitely needs to be visited in person to really understand the place.

Aug 10, 05 2:14 am  · 
 · 
TickerTocker

i just visited the UK. spent a month there. undoubtedly the highlight of the visit was a drive up to edinburgh to take a look at Miralles' Scottish Parliament Building. don't miss it...

Aug 10, 05 4:44 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Loch Ness.
Wales.

Aug 10, 05 5:30 am  · 
 · 
archaalto

Definitely Laban...worth the trek

Tate Modern is okay....utter disregard for craftsmanship except for the glazing system; art was good, & I believe that the recent renovation of the coffee bar is complete. Plus the new exhibition of H & dM's work.

British Museum....great

Channel 4 building.....finally clean & looking fresh

Swiss RE:....definitely sneak your way in (wear a tie & suit while carrying a briefcase)

Any of John Pawson's work is worth the legwork

Aug 10, 05 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
Philip Gentleman

make sure you take a double-decker bus tour.

Aug 10, 05 7:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: