Archinect
anchor

Your Personal Take on Residential Bathroom Types

Professional Student

What's your personal take on shared full bathroom spaces vs private full bathroom spaces. 

For example, some residential designs do not have master/primary bathrooms. Instead it's just one large bathroom with a large sink area, shower, and tub, and a separate toilet closet. 

And then others have the typical private full bath for master/primary bedroom and shared full bath. See floor plan examples below

Shared Bathroom Example Below:

Private Bathroom Example Below:

Pros and Cons

Pros / Cons for Shared Bath
(+) Less fixtures
(+) Centralized location
(+) Allows more space to be allocated to other rooms
(-) Lacks privacy
(-) Possibly not enough fixtures (Wait for shower, toilet, sink) 

Pros / Cons for Private Bath
(+) Full Privacy
(+) Can utilize wetwall adjacent to shared bathroom
(+) Provides additional fixtures
(-) increases upfront cost of fixture count 
(-) increases floor area and walls
(-) additional MEP systems required. 

Jun 14, 24 9:44 pm
Non Sequitur

when is your homework due? 

Jun 14, 24 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
Professional Student

lol! I wish. Just curious to get other architects' opinions. I actually used to work in Japan and they had lots of shared bathrooms due to lack of space and cultural leanings (they really emphasized the bathtub location). But working in the US, complete opposite, they really love their own bathroom spaces, not even a separate toilet closet.

Jun 14, 24 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Is it really a bathroom if there is no bath?

Jun 14, 24 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Shitter room.

Jun 16, 24 9:40 am  · 
1  · 

I enjoyed when I lived in Vienna that we had a bath/shower in the apartment (in the kitchen, honestly) and the WC outside the apartment, in a compartment in the corridor. Every apartment had their WC outside the unit, in the shared corridor. This made more sense to me, to keep the waste portion separate from the bathing activities.

Jun 15, 24 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I visited Villa Savoie earlier this year and it was... a strange setup. Toilets were in their own tiny rooms, complete with door handles (but no way to wash your hands?). Then the bidets were basically exposed in the washrooms / bedrooms, without a door separating anything. As much as you can tell that hygiene played a huge role in the design, it's mostly figurative hygiene, not the kind that deals with bacteria and viruses, apparently. It felt very, very odd.

Jun 15, 24 8:34 pm  · 
3  · 

The WC absolutely has to include a place to wash your hands!

Jun 15, 24 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

That’s what the tank if for Donna. Very few people know of this life hack. On that note, a friend of mine lived in Lyon, France, and their toilet was in a tiny closet across the hall from a large bathroom. Sure, plenty of space in the other room for a throne and there was no sink with the toilet, but who’s going to argue with the French? The place also had orange carpet on the walls.

Jun 16, 24 10:28 am  · 
 · 
logon'slogin
Medieval Human Waste Disposal ...

Manual sewer systems

An early version of a sewer system in Europe, possibly in France. 
What about 4 bedroom 5 bath or more in real estate listings? Certain cultures have their favorite pastimes and rooms...

Jun 15, 24 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

Sometimes you pee

Sometimes you poop

Sometimes with glee

Sometimes with soup

Jun 15, 24 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I've been designing and/or building homes and renovations in New England for 35 years (starting in high school) and I can count the number of clients who did not consider a dedicated master/primary bathroom to be absolutely essential on one hand. I, however, and my immediate family members have never had a dedicated master/primary bathroom and somehow we have survived. 

Jun 16, 24 11:30 am  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

I love bidets. On the subject, I did this  for a 6 kid bunk room a couple of years ago 

Jun 16, 24 5:10 pm  · 
3  · 
proto

paired showers for kids? seems more adult... or is it just two showers for a single?

Jun 17, 24 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

yes, it was a weird request, didn't dig further.

Jun 17, 24 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

Damnit my poem was funny 

Jun 18, 24 12:32 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: