Archinect
anchor

What are some of your favorite museum architecture designs?

Either based on looks, details, layout, functionality, etc. Places that left an impression on you. Any museums that "stood out"?

Thank you very much.

Jun 5, 24 12:41 pm

Louver

Weisman Art Museum

Jun 5, 24 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
graphemic

Museo Jumex!

Jun 5, 24 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

National Gallery of Canada - Safdie's moustache.

https://www.safdiearchitects.c...

It helps that I see this thing every day.

Jun 5, 24 1:06 pm  · 
4  · 

I like it!

Jun 5, 24 1:20 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Chad, I'll give you a tour if ever you stop by my backyard.  That building was probably 75% of my arch undergrad education.  Above is a pic I took 22 years ago... B&W film, developed and printed by me.

Jun 6, 24 10:31 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

and another

Jun 6, 24 10:38 am  · 
3  · 
Wood Guy

The Louvre. The Uffizi in Florence, Italy has a memorable courtyard. When I lived in Boston I took several girlfriends to this museum--it's pretty romantic: https://www.gardnermuseum.org/.

Jun 5, 24 1:35 pm  · 
1  · 
Volunteer

JFK Library and Museum, Boston     I.M. Pei

Jun 5, 24 2:48 pm  · 
1  · 
monosierra

The MMK in Frankfurt was a magical experience - a surreal sequence of spaces flowing through exquisite thresholds. Then there's the mezzanine with its little bridges and windows. Hans Hollein at his best.

Jun 5, 24 5:35 pm  · 
1  · 
zonker

SFMOMA Expansion by Snohetta - On opening day, Craig Dykers held the door open for the visitors

Jun 5, 24 5:48 pm  · 
2  · 

RIP American Folk Art Museum #FolkMoMa

Jun 5, 24 6:00 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Easy, The Whitney,

Jun 6, 24 4:32 am  · 
1  · 
pielewop

That is The Breuer Building. It hasn't housed the Whitneu (now by the high-line) for quite a while.

Jun 6, 24 9:18 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

It's the only Whitney that I recognize.

Jun 6, 24 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
luvu

Has to be Bilboa Musuem for me… just mesmerising spaces. Hate him or love him… it’s a must see.

Jun 6, 24 7:53 am  · 
 · 
luvu

Kunsthal by OMA / love the site context and simple yet complex circulations.

Jun 6, 24 7:56 am  · 
 · 
pielewop

In no particular order:

Kunsthal / OMA, Rotterdam, NL

Arkansas Museum of Fine Art / Studio Gang, Little Rock, AR

The New Museum / S A N A A, NYC

Jun 6, 24 9:20 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

he Museum of Jurassic Technology

Less for the building, and more for the concept of a 'fake' museum (in both senses of the definition). I stole this description from the internet: 

The Museum of Jurassic Technology is a very real place that showcases some not very real things—although neither the artifacts nor the scripts indicate otherwise.

It's a brilliant little place in LA that everyone should go to at least once. Hands down my favourite museum. 

Jun 7, 24 3:04 am  · 
 · 

Is it satirical or . . . .

Jun 7, 24 10:35 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

website is from 1996...

Jun 7, 24 11:41 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

The displays are a mix of real and fake, and you can never really know which is which since they're all described as legit.... It's a mind f@ck of a place that doesn't take itself too seriously. It's really hard to describe....

Jun 7, 24 8:55 pm  · 
1  · 
ofls

I love this place, such a trip. Did you make it to the aviary on the roof?

Jun 13, 24 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Museum of Anthropology by Arthur Erickson.  One of the best spaces ever designed that capture the essence of the site, the culture and the display of significant first nations artifacts. The building is not significant in it's exterior appearance but the spatial quality of the main gallery and sequence of entering the space makes the hair on your arm standup!

Jun 14, 24 3:15 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: