Archinect
anchor

Just signed Foster+Partners

Elinae

Hi!

I just signed my first afetr graduation job offer for Architectural assistant part 2 in London UK at F+P. Just wanted to know if anyone here have some insights that could be useful for me before I start? 

Thanks!

Apr 9, 24 11:26 am
ill_will

Take time to learn people's names and swallow any post-graduation ego cuz you're back at the bottom of the totem pole.

Apr 9, 24 12:16 pm  · 
2  · 
Elinae

Haha, quite ready for that. Can I just Ask do you have any particular experience with specifically F+P? Or are you meaning in general

Apr 9, 24 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
ill_will

No direct experience with F+P, just in general for larger firms.

Apr 9, 24 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

learn to not ask questions in the wrong format, any advice you get in a public forum is questionable at best and even if you don't engage or act on ill-advised content, your firm could see this as easily as you can. It's good to be curious, anxious even, and want to know everything you can. Bring that energy to your first day because F+P are the best people to answer your question. You did accept the job offer for a reason!

Apr 9, 24 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
Elinae

sure, it's always best to directly ask for insights when you're confident about a job as i am about this. and eager to pursue it. which is why I've created this post seeking additional information to be fully prepered

Apr 9, 24 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
t a z

What studio (1-6) are you joining? Geographically they each (loosely) cover different geographic regions of the world.

Apr 9, 24 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

Be curious, work hard, learn the technologies being used and iterate aggressively.  Long hours happen more often than not, but the partners I worked with [as a consultant] seemed very reasonable with vacations and time off [one team had several key team members out around a competition deadline].

Apr 12, 24 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Congrats! At your level, ask as many questions as possible, dont be shy. You may slowly want to figure out your niche, as they can get super specialized at F+P - someone I used to know worked specifically on glazing systems for perhaps 8-10 years, another on toilets for a similar duration. 

Being so specific is how they get to the level of quality expected but can be quite frustrating for younger folk. Good Luck!

Apr 12, 24 2:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: