Archinect
anchor

What certifications do you have? Is it worth it?

G4tor

There are too many green certs out there (LEED, WELL, whatever the other ones are), there's PMP for project management, six sigma? What the hell is that? Anything else?

All bantering aside, do y'all have any other certs that commands higher salary? Is it worth it to get? Architecture's pay is so abysmally low, man's gotta eat.

May 1, 23 9:18 pm
Miyadaiku

CDL?

May 2, 23 4:47 am  · 
3  · 
Wilma Buttfit

yes you need at least 21 of these various letters behind your name

May 2, 23 9:13 am  · 
5  · 

Yes, I have 23 letters if I include my degrees.

May 2, 23 10:52 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Ooo I didn’t even think about my degree letters. Gonna need a new letter jacket.

May 2, 23 11:07 am  · 
2  · 
natematt

I had to check.... the person with the longest line I know off-hand has 27 letters... not including commas, spaces, or degrees. O-o

May 2, 23 12:05 pm  · 
 · 

TBH, half of my postnominals are just professional membership signifiers. Anyone* can pay the dues and get them. The others are actual certifications that are pertinent and I think do help me command higher pay ... at least compared to those without them doing the same work. But part of that is convincing the firm they mean something. It's not a guarantee.

*some prerequisites like licensure may be required

May 2, 23 12:40 pm  · 
3  · 
Wilma Buttfit

Don’t forget OCD, ADHD, and ODD. Most important ones.

May 3, 23 5:43 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

The only ones that matter is the architect certifications.  Those command value if you actually use it. 

May 2, 23 9:16 am  · 
2  · 

ASD - you're correct. Technicians like yourself really don't need any certifications or licensure. Architects like NS however . . .

May 2, 23 12:56 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Ah, where you been hiding ASD? It's not like you're busy with actual work.

May 2, 23 1:10 pm  · 
1  · 

I think he's been on the DORA website causing trouble . . .

May 2, 23 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

I got my baby sitting certificate when I was 14, does that count?

May 2, 23 10:57 am  · 
3  · 
reallynotmyname

Some places will pay you more for LEED, WELL, and occasionally PMP, but its very case-by-case.  None of these certifications are a sure-fire guarantee of a higher salary.  They do, however, tend to impress HR type people and will sometimes help you get in the door when looking for a job.

In response to your question re: some other certifications out there:

CSI (specifications writing, not the TV show)

EDAC (healthcare design)

ACHA (healthcare design)

The best way to get certifications is work at a place where the employer pays for the study materials and test fees.  Using your own money may or may not pay off.

May 2, 23 11:52 am  · 
3  · 
citizen

^ I would watch the hell out of a show where specifiers show up to a construction site and argue about building particulars. 

Tonight on CSI: CSI:    "Are you nuts? No way that's green board in the toilet room. It's just regular half-inch that's painted 'Hunter's Forest.' And over here-- you call this a left-hand reverse, outward opening, inactive leaf? Get outta my sight!"

May 7, 23 2:03 pm  · 
3  · 
Wilma Buttfit

I would watch that show!

May 7, 23 4:15 pm  · 
2  · 
JLC-1

I'm a certified grump

May 2, 23 11:56 am  · 
2  · 
citizen

I've been called certifiable many times.

May 7, 23 1:45 pm  · 
2  · 

Here's the thing. I'd say 9 times out of 10 if you are in a position where a certification will be helpful, you'll be far enough into your career to know what that certification is and how you could go about getting it. You may even have mentors or supervisors telling you to go for it.

For the other 1 time, you should go after CSI's CDT certificate. It's not likely to get you noticed or a higher salary, but the content it covers is such a good thing to know in this industry. That knowledge is something you can leverage to higher pay and responsibilities. But no, just the post-nominal letters won't get you much.

Only go for the green certs if you're the office's green guru (or a green consultant), or if your office is requiring it and paying for it as marketing.

May 2, 23 12:32 pm  · 
4  · 
Bench

EA - interesting, why do you say CDT is the most important there? I had always imagined that sitting down and actually spending the time to study how a proper specification is put together would be more useful, given that its so rarely taught in any formal manner in the office. Whereas the description of the CDT items does seem like something one would pick up over typical day-to-day work mentorship.

May 2, 23 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

+1 on the green certs. I've worked in offices where it was decreed that "everyone have a LEED accreditation" simply for marketing purposes. Whenever an actual LEED project came into the office, the first call made was to an outside LEED consultant to do all of the LEED scope.

May 2, 23 2:22 pm  · 
5  · 

Bench, I think if you're in a position of not knowing what certification will be helpful in your career, you're likely pretty early in your career. The content of the CDT certification is a broad overview of all the players and their responsibilities in a project (something anyone on the design, construction, or ownership side of a project should understand). I've found that if you actually learn the material (understand it and apply it rather than just recall it long enough to pass a test) you start to see how many of your mentors don't actually know the "right way" to do things, and instead rely on what they learned to do from their mentors, or by trial and error, etc. Such is the nature of a profession where the majority of us "fake it until we make it."

Now I'm not saying that the way you learn to do things from the CDT is perfect, or that it should always be done that way. Rather it's learning the rules* so you can break them appropriately rather than indiscriminately because you never learned anything different, or worse ... "that's the way we've always done it."

It also sets you up to take better advantage of the sort of day-to-day work mentorship you should be getting. It gives you a solid base of knowledge allowing you to ask intelligent questions rather than just take whatever is fed to you as the "right way" to do things.

*It might be more appropriate to say it's learning what the rules should be and where to find them, but in that sense breaking them isn't really an option (or shouldn't be), but they could be modified by mutual agreement, etc.

May 2, 23 4:23 pm  · 
2  · 
atelier nobody

I originally got the CDT because it was low hanging fruit before I was eligible to start my AREs.

May 14, 23 7:46 pm  · 
 · 

I'm certified in Post-Disaster Building Safety Evaluation. If a tornado hits Indy I'm certified to go around to damaged houses and spray paint a big X on the door if it's unsafe to enter. 

May 2, 23 2:29 pm  · 
5  · 

This certification in no way affected my salary.

May 2, 23 2:30 pm  · 
proto

i got an email from NCARB offering a discount of the penalty fees to bring me back into the fold

lol

May 2, 23 2:57 pm  · 
2  · 

That's funny. Come back to us, we love you so much we won't charge your the maximum penalties we've decided you need.

May 2, 23 3:30 pm  · 
 · 

Same. I immediately thought, "that's 5 more letters I could add to my postnominals"

May 2, 23 4:25 pm  · 
 · 

I thought the maximum penalty fees NCARB has was around $1,400? I thought after that they didn't charge you more?

May 2, 23 4:33 pm  · 
 · 

Currently: $1210 plus a reactivation fee of $275

https://www.ncarb.org/fees

May 2, 23 5:04 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

My only credential is CPHD--certified Passivhaus Designer, and technically that has lapsed. Yet that doesn't seem to bother any of my clients, and somehow I am qualified to teach architects for CEUs...

Oh, and I have OSHA 10 certification ;-)

May 3, 23 9:41 am  · 
1  · 
x-jla

I’m currently working on being a certified arborist.  

May 7, 23 2:15 pm  · 
3  · 
go do it

Wood Guy - I have a Certified Green Builder from the NAHB and to be honest the curriculum was not that hard and it is mostly used as a sales pitch by most.

When I breakdown the Passivhaus Statagies to its most primal elements to make it simpler to explain and me to understand I view the buildings as a thermos that needs air changes. 

You knew how to build well before you got your PD certificate but did getting the certificate accelerate your knowlage or reinforce it? 

May 9, 23 10:52 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

I was pretty well prepared for the PH class and exam, having spent the previous 15 months working as operations manager for the first panelized construction business in North America dedicated to Passive House performance. But I didn't learn everything there, so the class and reading material were helpful.

My classmates who had no construction or design experience had a hard time with the course and none of them passed the exam; I don't recommend it for someone with no industry knowledge.

Coincidentally, my PGH co-author Emily Mottram, who had the same PH trainer that I had, has put together an introduction to building science course that I think is a great prerequisite for PH training: https://www.finehomebuilding.com/2022/12/14/introduction-to-the-sustainable-home-building-accelerator.

I'm thinking about going through PHIUS training to learn the American way to do Passive House; the International training that I did can be hard to deal with. I don't expect to be blown away with new knowledge but if I can learn a few new tips, and how to use their software, it will be worthwhile. 

May 10, 23 9:20 am  · 
 · 
priyarawat

I am a certified digital marketer.

May 10, 23 7:24 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: