Archinect
anchor

2022 Holiday Bonus

OneLostArchitect

How much of a holiday bonus are you guys and gals pulling in this year? 

Dec 14, 22 12:59 am
natematt

Don't usually get a holiday bonus, our yearly reviews and bonuses are around march ... 

Dec 14, 22 1:02 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Ours should go out in the next couple days. I'm expecting less than last year but more than 2020.

Dec 14, 22 11:49 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Bonuses hit Friday. ~20% cash plus another ~8% retirement match. Happy holidays!

Dec 19, 22 11:18 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ours are expected next week sometimes.  Since the firm compensates for OT every payroll, they typically offer a token amount (+\- 1000 loonies) to regular staff.  Management gets the same plus an advance on expected profit % since our fiscal year ends in march.

Dec 14, 22 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Mind if I ask why fiscal year ends in March? Im assuming its for alignment with April tax season, but it strikes me as odd for fiscal years to be march-to-march. Just curious.

Dec 14, 22 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

To align with tax season. You got it.

Dec 14, 22 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
RJ87

" Since the firm compensates for OT every payroll, they typically offer a token amount (+\- 1000 loonies) to regular staff."

What do you mean by this, is your bonus typically tied to unpaid OT?

Dec 14, 22 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^sorry, should clarify. From my experience, and that of my colleagues in the area, the Xmas bonus is often claimed to be a catch-up for unpaid OT for salaried staff throughout the year. Since our office pays OT by-weekly to everyone who is not management, the xmas $ is really a bonus chunk of cash instead of compensation for unpaid time.

I know of a few offices here that justify the xmas bonus as compensation for all the unpaid OT throughout the year.  I don't agree with that POV since it very well could be 0$ for your OT hours depending on how profits are squirreled away.

Dec 14, 22 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
RJ87

Thanks for clarifying, I've worked in the same office since I started so my experiences are limited to how our office works. Our bonuses are purely viewed as a chunk of cash / additional compensation. We're a 40ish hour a week office, so OT is frowned upon / would have to be approved in advance for non-salary employees anyways. At least they pay OT bi-weekly, that's how it should be in the first place.

Agreed on your POV that it could be 0 depending on the year, it's hard to plan for. My wife & I plan our finances as if the bonus is never coming, but it makes a significant difference when the number is high.

Dec 14, 22 3:18 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

@non - like you say, your situation sounds much better. I worked at a firm that claimed to use it as "make-up". Got a $10k bonus after working over 1000 hours of overtime in a year. I was like "oh, so my time is worth $10/hr, got it." I can make more than that living in my van down by the river.

Dec 15, 22 4:57 am  · 
3  · 
Wilma Buttfit

Where did you park your van? Are you looking for freelance work?

Dec 16, 22 9:20 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I've been doing a bit of freelance but more is always better, especially if it is interesting. Currently I'm next to Rio Mapocho - I'll let you have a bit of fun googling where that is. Christmas in summertime!

Dec 17, 22 7:22 am  · 
1  · 

Ooh Chile! Still there?

Jan 8, 23 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

My bonus this year is taking some time off and coasting out the holidays.

I believe I hold the record for the lowest bonus in this profession. This was in a firm where I was also the 2nd youngest person to be promoted to associate. 

Happy holidays everyone!

Dec 14, 22 2:16 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

Jelly of the month club?

Dec 14, 22 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Oh that would have been nice. No.

Dec 15, 22 12:51 am  · 
RJ87

We typically get ours right before Thanksgiving, ownership likes everyone to know what they're working with around the holidays / end of the year for taxes. We're fortunate that our office typically gives out significant bonuses.

Tax man takes 37% of it it though since it's supplementary income, I'll get about 13-15% back when I get my tax return in the spring. I've actually tried to shift some of my bonus money into a bump in my annual salary but was told it's not how they want to run the finances. Every year the check clears & it makes sense financially for me, but it does make monthly cash flow vs total income a lopsided amount.

Dec 14, 22 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Shove it into your 401k to avoid the tax man.

Dec 17, 22 11:12 am  · 
 · 
RJ87

One of the few negatives about our office is we don't have an employee match. So I tend to direct funds to my Roth IRA first. I actually used a good chunk of the bonus to buy a car over the weekend, so the Tax man got some additional sales tax on top of the income tax I paid & the payroll tax my employer paid. 

I feel taxed.

Dec 19, 22 2:06 pm  · 
 · 

Not much for a "holiday bonus" but I did get some other bonuses that have been nice. Holiday bonus was $750, but I've also only been with the company a fraction of this year so I'm happy I got anything at all.

The office also paid out an unexpected bonus about a month ago as we've been having a great year. That was around 2-weeks' worth of pay to everyone, or essentially an extra paycheck (+/- extra deductions for taxes etc.).

I also negotiated a signing bonus ($3k) and a week's worth of vacation when I took the job.

Dec 14, 22 5:17 pm  · 
3  · 
ill_will

I got similar, 3k raise + 1k holiday bonus. I'm 6 months out of school so idk if that' s any good

Dec 20, 22 5:21 pm  · 
1  · 

That's very nice! You're firm clearly values what you can do. Good job!

Dec 20, 22 5:34 pm  · 
1  · 
whistler

Happy to say I am giving out 25% bonuses to my two senior guys and 15% to the junior folks.  Been a good year and they all deserve it.

Dec 14, 22 6:59 pm  · 
6  · 
sameolddoctor

You sound like an amazing boss, Whistler. Are you hiring lol?

Dec 14, 22 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
RJ87

This is in line with what our office typically does as well. We had a particularly good year this year, so they were a higher than normal. I don't expect next year to be as significant as this one.

Dec 15, 22 10:23 am  · 
 · 
ivanmillya

Don't think we're getting holiday bonuses this year; things got chaotic after September with Ian, and we moved our office location to higher ground (literally; 3rd floor suite instead of on the ground). But I did get a 10% bonus check to help me with demo'ing my house after the storm, so all is well here.

Dec 15, 22 7:10 am  · 
1  · 

I'll probably get my normal bonus of a few grand.  Our firm really doesn't do large bonuses - they opt to pay higher base salaries.  That and provide an open bar at kick ass holiday parties.  ;) 

Dec 15, 22 10:31 am  · 
4  · 
whistler

I have considered both but at the end of the day we are a small firm and cash flow has always been important to control the average base salaries are reasonable but the bonus allow me to bump up individuals salary. This year is a bit unique but the goal is always 15-20 % bonus

Dec 15, 22 2:28 pm  · 
2  · 

I totally understand that. We're a 12 person firm.

Dec 15, 22 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
proto

no bonus here this year -- whatever we may have had for the emergency fund is going to a marketing effort to boost some new contract signups in the new year

Dec 15, 22 11:45 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Mind if we ask what market sector that is ?

Dec 15, 22 12:09 pm  · 
 · 

Could be just about any of them. Have you seen the latest ABI?

Dec 15, 22 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
proto

we're in SFR/small commercial - tiny 3 person office...probably unfair of me to comment in a thread that likely is directed to folks at more corporate sized offices

Dec 16, 22 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

The new ABI is published next week right? Think there will be better news?

Dec 18, 22 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

what is the marketing effort consisting of?

Dec 21, 22 11:12 am  · 
 · 
graphemic

Annual bonus is distributed in December, does that count as "holiday"? Around 6K, same as last year.

Dec 16, 22 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
Turbo123

paper clips for desks with new mousey pad 

Dec 18, 22 5:09 pm  · 
2  · 

I thought you were getting a wig and new tinder profile?

Dec 19, 22 10:52 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

My boss is a jerk, no bonus again this year. 

Dec 19, 22 10:48 am  · 
 · 

I've heard your boss makes you post on archinect.

Dec 19, 22 10:52 am  · 
3  · 
Bench

Not even a publishers' bonus ?!

Dec 19, 22 11:05 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Chad, actually I get in trouble when I post here but we all need an occasional break!

Dec 19, 22 11:22 am  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

Bench, although it appears to be Taunton's best-selling book since Not So Big House, splitting proceeds among four authors and the realities of working with a publisher mean that we haven't seen a penny since our initial, modest advance. But with any luck we'll be getting a check at the end of the month or early in January. We didn't expect to make much money and were weren't wrong! But it's still fun to have a book out in the world.

Dec 19, 22 11:26 am  · 
3  · 
tduds

It's a good book! I've been skimming it lately to get my head around retrofitting/renovating our house.

Dec 19, 22 11:57 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Thanks! Not to self-promote but for anyone interested, this is the book: https://www.amazon.com/Pretty-Good-House-Michael-Maines/dp/1641551658.

Dec 19, 22 12:08 pm  · 
1  · 
sameolddoctor

One paycheck, but to be distributed in January ... WTFFF

Dec 19, 22 1:32 pm  · 
 · 

Time for a new firm . . .

Dec 19, 22 1:58 pm  · 
1  · 

I got a bonus this year 1.6 times what I was expecting.  It was a real bonus too not a payback for overtime worked.  

I'm very impressed and happy with the firm I work with.  

Dec 20, 22 3:38 pm  · 
7  · 
Non Sequitur

Is that because they gave it to you accidentally in metric units then did a hard conversion?

Dec 20, 22 5:39 pm  · 
1  · 

Shhhh. Don't tell them!

Dec 20, 22 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

got a check today! wasn't expecting anything, so it's really welcomed, about 40% of a month.

Dec 29, 22 2:34 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I got a blanket!

Dec 29, 22 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Is it weighted, so to speak?

Dec 29, 22 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

If only.

Dec 29, 22 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Just received my bonus... 1% of my annual salary...

Dec 29, 22 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Has your office been slow or unprofitable this year? That seems pretty low. But better than nothing. My last employer didn't do holiday bonuses, but the previous one usually gave around 5% of salary, except for 2008-2009 when we got more like 1-2%, which I saw (and appreciated) as a token gesture.

Dec 30, 22 10:22 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

they absolutely rocked it this year... i currently have my feelers out...

Dec 30, 22 11:36 pm  · 
4  · 
sameolddoctor

We got 4% (one paycheck) and I am livid about it. 1% sucks way more, leave them and dont look back!

Jan 1, 23 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Wow.... I got a bonus. Considering I work part time on contract and only work when I want I'm pretty happy with it... equivalent to about two weeks of work.

Dec 31, 22 11:16 am  · 
1  · 

Like at least a few here, my employer doesn't do a holiday bonus, rather sometime in spring they pay out a performance bonus based on certain KPI targets. Usually at least once earlier in fiscal year they provide org-wide feedback on how those KPIs are trending and roughly what percentage they expect to pay out. This is separate from any annual individual performance-based raised.

Jan 8, 23 11:37 pm  · 
 · 

Both (org and personal performance bonus) are generally a few % of salary, though over last few years they've also thrown in a couple of extra 1 time increases for all staff, based on market analysis/comparison. Benefits of working for a larger employer I guess...?

Jan 8, 23 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
eilert4

Unfortunately I didn't get anything :(

Jan 9, 23 1:19 am  · 
 · 
Slev

reprising this thread for 2023.
8 years experience. Licensed. Moved firms over the year, been at my current one for 7 months. prominent firm, based in SF. Lots of cast in place concrete to give a hint. 
1.8% bonus - time to kick rocks again? 

Dec 14, 23 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

How's your total compensation? Including health and retirement benefits, holidays, training opportunities, paying for licensing, etc.? The % of bonus is meaningless if you're making double what your peers are. I'm just saying, maybe take a step back to make sure you're making an informed decision rather than one out of frustration

Dec 15, 23 10:21 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

^This. also, what were you expecting after only working there half a year? Sounds like you're a problem employee.

Dec 15, 23 10:44 am  · 

I'll restate what BB and NS have said. 

My yearly bonus is typically 1.5-2.0% However, I am paid a very good salary, have employer matching retirement, and other perks.

These additional items make the bonus EXTREAMLY generous.

In addition, what type of tax structure dose your firm have?  This can impact your bonus.  This is especially true if you've been at a firm for less than a year.  

Dec 15, 23 10:49 am  · 
 · 

My $0.02 as well ... in my experience the most prominent firms give the worst bonuses (on top of typically lower base pay) unless you're a rainmaker for the firm.

Dec 15, 23 10:54 am  · 
2  · 
Slev

I usually don't entertain trolls. But NS, curious why the negative judgement? I was being objective and trying to ask a question? Is the purpose of forums like this not to be open, support each other so we can be clearer about our positions in this murky profession? I don't think beating each other down does much for us as a community.

Dec 16, 23 11:51 am  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

When you have less than 12 months tenure at a firm, you should not expect to get much of a bonus. You are disadvantaged in two predominant metrics of a) length of employment (self-explanatory) and b) perceived value (you haven't been there long enough to make an impression). If you are inclined, you could ask how bonuses are calculated at your next employee review and perhaps get some clarity on how your bonus was determined by management.

Dec 16, 23 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Slev, we're far from trolls here, quite the opposite. It's called constructive criticism and your "kick rocks" comments is enough to justify my comment. You got something after only half a year tenure in the firm. That's good but the fact you feel owned more is speaks of bad/entitled employee.

Dec 16, 23 2:49 pm  · 
 · 

Slev, this forum has a history of unprofessional communication. The 'kick rocks' comment led to a projection of unprofessional communication. If you left that out, it would come off more professional. When it comes to professional communication (which this kind of falls into), leave out negative emotive comments (the huff and puff stuff.... just don't state those things.... invoke the inner Vulcan in you. Star Trek reference, about professional communication involves exercising control, restraint, and suppression of emotion. Emotions are what get you into unprofessional.) Remember the trope of McDonald's or the generic fast food restaurant employees always have to speak to the customers WITH A SMILE. 

Rule 1, never talk to strangers who you don't know about personal or professional job career issues. So, NO to using the internet to discuss such things with anonymous strangers. You are NEVER safe even with anonymous names and not naming the firm. You can inadvertently, expose who you are to your employer or someone at your firm. A little perusal of this forum and you'll realize this forum is not the place to discuss your gripe about your job... although I haven't picked up your griping in your original post. I think you hinted that the lots of cast-in-place concrete stuff is uninspiring to you... maybe against your professional goal of sustainable design practice. That is my read. 

N.S. probably jumped the gun to assume you were a trouble employee with JUST the "kick rocks" comment. 

N.S., that is INSUFFICIENT basis. It might be a little too informal or even a slightly unprofessional comment by such 'emotive expressions' used. I think you were just a little bit jumping at calling the OP a troll too quickly and prejudging at the moment. This is not to say your gut feeling is right or wrong. It is that you don't have sufficient facts to support the argument. This is why you should exercise restraint and have enough facts to support it. You must have been on that other thread too long today.

Dec 16, 23 3:42 pm  · 
 · 

It is hard to compare or determine if the bonus is good or bad or if it is lower because you have other benefits. The whole compensation and benefits package has to be taken into account. A high bonus may sound good but if you are poorly paid and have minimal benefits package, then it isn't overall that good when all is considered.

Dec 16, 23 4:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: