Archinect
anchor

Seal and Stamp for CMU Wall, Non-structural

Please help! I cannot find the CBC Code Reference wherein it clarifies how high a cmu wall an Architect can legally design. I have always recalled the max height is 6'-0" but I cannot find the code reference.

(Yes, I am licensed...just old!) Thanks!!!

Oct 13, 22 3:39 pm
x-jla

are you talking about a free standing wall?  Permits aren’t even required in many areas if it’s 6’ or less.   Usually anything over 6’ requires engineering.   

Oct 13, 22 5:02 pm  · 
 · 

I know what you're trying to say. Just remember that just because a building permit isn't required doesn't mean anyone can legally design it.

Oct 13, 22 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Most cities will have standard details for walls lower than 6’. Usually any retaining wall greater than 3’, or any freestanding wall greater than 6’ requires an engineer from my experience.

Oct 13, 22 6:18 pm  · 
 · 

That's my experience as well. Then again just because you can doesn't mean you should. In this case though you totally should just use the standard details. ;)

Oct 14, 22 11:43 am  · 
 · 

Sir, I would think you draw a plan, section, and elevation of the said wall and run it by the building dept. Is this a garden wall? If you are putting loads on it, that changes the whole process, then, you are doing a retaining/or not foundation wall. Definitely you need engineering unless you can do the calcs as well as the dwg's and put your stamp on it.

Oct 13, 22 6:06 pm  · 
 · 

I'm guessing you're recalling something like this where standard details are offered that will work for the standard conditions covered (including a maximum height). https://www.buildingincaliforn...

Oct 13, 22 6:16 pm  · 
1  · 

Bingo! Just like the Type V sheet.

Oct 13, 22 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody
  1. Assuming you are referring to the California Building Code (not, e.g., Connecticut or Croatia), there are no limitations (either in the Code or the Practice Act) on what an Architect can design, although many California AHJs do require a Structural Engineer for structures over some limitation (typically height), or for all structures in the case of DSA and OSHPD.
  2. Garden walls ≤6' are defined as "fences" and therefore not regulated by CBC, although almost all local jurisdictions have amended that. I'm unaware of any jurisdiction (besides DSA and OSHPD) that require a licensed professional  - most local AHJs have a handout like the one linked above, but they will also generally accept 6' walls designed by unlicensed persons, and jurisdictions that don't have their own handout will generally accept the handouts from other jurisdictions as "construction documents" for block wall permits.
Oct 14, 22 3:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: