Archinect
anchor

Designing a data center

sode786

Any ideas of the best online courses to learn how to design a data center? I've seen some from the uptime institute and cnet, wondering if there are others.

Sep 10, 24 11:53 am
Non Sequitur

When is your homework due?

This is not way to go about design.

Sep 10, 24 11:55 am  · 
 · 

To expand a bit more on Non's mildly scornful yet correct response. 

What is your reasoning for wanting to learn this?  

What would your relationship (if any) be to the proposed data center? 

Sep 10, 24 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
proto

at this point, the answer is chatgpt

Sep 10, 24 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
chris-chitect

With out really knowing the context, I have previously written in another post that this sort of thing should be investigated in person. If it's something really specific and only a few world wide examples exist then it's probably fine to search around for online resources, but in this case I'd try to find consultants/subject matter experts or even users in person and see a data center with your own eyes. 

I remember I had a design build course in university to design a pharmacy. One of the best learning experiences was to find a pharmacist willing to spend about 15 minutes going over their workflow and spatial requirements to perform tasks and store medication. 

During my thesis I found people were pretty approachable if you told them you wanted to learn what they do. Often on the user side it makes them feel that someone is finally listening to them and will incorporate their needs in future designs.

Sep 10, 24 4:04 pm  · 
1  · 
shellarchitect

Data centers are pretty heavily influenced by the HVAC and power needs, tons of power, lots of cooling, humidity control, and more power.  Exiting can be a little tricky.  

Biggest thing is really to get the occupancy and use right from the start to make the rest easier.  Data centers are mostly unoccupied, so getting the ahj to agree is important.

Sep 13, 24 1:09 pm  · 
1  · 
chris-chitect

This might be interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...

Sep 13, 24 3:47 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: